Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• or

754 results found

1. actual size (ctrl/cmd-1) off by half pixel

Using cmd/ctrl-1 to set "actual size" seems to be off by half a pixel. If in pixel preview, everything is blurry and requires zooming in and out to get the screen aligned to the pixel.

This used to work fine before CC2019, but ever since then "actual size" was has always been slightly off, and is especially apparent with pixel-aligned artwork and artboard edges.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Illustrator CC 2017 (macOS 10.13) crashes unexpectedly in High Sierra.

I was creating a second artboard and about to save my file when the program just crashed. This is the third time this has happened since I upgraded and before I realized there was a compatibility issue. Also, when opening Illustrator first thing in the morning after turning the computer on, it is back to taking a long time to open, usually getting hung up on the Perspective.aip.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Copying and Pasting Text from a Word Doc instantly crashes Illustrator

I'm using the latest version of Adobe Illustrator on Windows 10. After my first crash, I re-opened Illustrator and created a new document. Before doing anything else, I switched over to the .docx file I had open in WPS Writer and copied some of the text that was there to my Clipboard. Once I switched back to Illustrator, clicked on the artboard and pressed Ctrl+V, Illustrator immediately stops responding and crashes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Changing size in export doesn't change size

When exporting files via Save As, if I change the size, it doesn't update the actual export size until I do something else, like toggle the clip to artboard on and off or change from optimize for Art to for type. This has been a persistent error across versions of Illustrator and MacOS for some time.

Once you hit tab to leave that portion of the export dialogue, it should update without any additional steps.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Illustrator 23.1.1 flickering panels on mouse release

Layers Panel flicker

After upgrading to Illustrator 23.1.1 on a mac each time a mouse click is released on the artboard or when text will be deleted step by step, the layer panel and some times symbols and type formats panel, too, will flash or flicker.

Switching off GPU usage does not change it anyway.

It's driving me crazy...

This flashing is irritating.

Attempted fixes

Resetting preferences
    Adjusting GPU performance
    Turning of animated zoom
    Uninstalling illustrator
    Updating everything

Illustrator Version 23.1.1
    MacOs Mojave 10.14.6

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. missing id in exported svg

When I export the attached .ai file to svg, the result does not contain the id of the r14 rectangle.
    Before you say "well just add it in manually", please consider that this is a simplified version and that the real thing would contain dozens, even hundreds of objects.
    Note that I am not using the artboard. The idea is to use this svg to be animated by the GreenSock javascript library.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks a lot Francis for filing the issue. Please feel free to open a new issue if you should experience the issue again or another one.

Greetings,
    Dirk

7. adobe illustrator 2015 onword version jerk and lagging issue

im work LG 5K DISPLAY WITH MAC PRO 2013 I HAVE INSTALLED ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR 2019 ABOUT 3 MONTH IM FACING SOME ISSUES ON OVERPRINT PREVIEW MODE AND NORMAL MODE (NORMAL MODE IS OK NO ANY JERK AND LAGGING ISSUE BUT ON OVERPRINT PREVIEW LAGGING JERK ANY MOVEMENT ON SCREEN AND ARTBOARD ANY SOLUTION ABOUT MY PROBLEM PLEASE SHARE IM VERY TRIED AND I REQUEST TO ADOBE PLEASE REMOVE GPU OPTION 2015 ONWARD VERSION ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR 2014 IS EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE AND WORK OVERALL.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Expanded Layers Slows Performance

Illustrator 24.2.3 (64bit)
    Windows 10 Pro

What the title says. If I expand my top layer in the layers palette and try to edit the text on an artboard using my keyboard arrow keys to navigate the cursor, the cursor is super laggy.

If I collapse the top layer and navigate the text inside the boxes, the cursor is much faster.

Expanded layers seems to take up much more processing power ...to the point I can barely scrub through the text.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. text selection bug still happening with 24.03

When you click on text to move it around on the artboard it always selects what is BEHIND the text box only, unless you click 1 pixel below text baseline exactly. I click on the text inside of the box to move it and it keeps moving my background. I have to zoom in 150% to see baseline and move text. This has REALLY slowed down my process.
    I'm on a MacOS 10.14.6

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Copy Paste Causes Illustrator to Crash Repeatedly

Illustrator crashes before I can Paste a Copy for SPOT UV in Artboard in two ways.
    1. CTRL C causes immediate crash.
    2. Select Copy from drop down menu also causes crash.
    Performed Windows 10 update few hours before crashing started to occur but unsure if Illustrator was included. Creative Cloud shows I'm up to date but doesn't specify the actual date. So, I cant say for sure if the update is causing the problem.

HP Spectre x360 Convertable

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. PDF export misses

After performing "Save a copy" and choosing the PDF, the PDF created does not contain all the art of the artboard. It seems random with no consistency as to what is affected.

- Sometimes ungrouping helps, 50%. Most often I have to delete the art and replace it.
    - Could even be the same art that appears on another page, so its not errors in the art.
    - Could be copy or vector work.
    - Does not matter if its save as smallest size or other size

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The team would need the test file you can reliably reproduce the problem, the steps to reproduce it, the exact OS specs and the version of Illustrator used. A video can also help to study the issue.

If you can share the file publicly — please attach it in the comments. If if you are not allowed to do so or you do not want to make it public — you can send it over to sharewithai@adobe.com

12. ARTBOARAD SELECTION and arrow tool in CC 2018

I can't select and move vector graphics without this happening to my illustrator artboard (see screen catures), I can't move graphic elements without it shaking. I try zooming in and out - closing the document and illustrator and starting all over again, but it keeps happening over and over, I can't basically use the APP AT ALL.

Everytime I try to select and element or move an element the whole APP almost goes into a malfunction!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Illustrator is Saving files as a PDF by default.

Illustrator has been saving some of my large files as PDFs rather than Illustrator files (when I am just pressing Cmd+S) and the file is definitely not a PDF to begin with. This is frustrating because anything outside of the artboard is no longer in the file, the file must be opened as individual artworks, and all of the text is saved as individual letters in cases where text is typed along a path, or it's saved as individual words.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Opening a v25 .ai file with illustrator v25.1 causing text issues

I received an illustrator file from a client that was v25. I already had all the necessary fonts used in the project. I opened it with the latest version (25.1) and the text on almost every artboard was altered in some way. Often all the text in a text box was gone except for a few characters. After downloading AI 2020 I was able to open the project file with the text in tact.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Windows 10: Libraries panel - item naming bug

On Windows, Ctrl + Left/Right Arrow allows you to navigate text by jumping between words. If you use Ctrl + Shift + Left/Right Arrow, it will also select as you jump between words.

The bug: In Illustrator, when typing a name for an item in the Libraries panel, if you try to use either of these shortcuts, it will also move the selected graphic on the artboard.

Solution: stop sending any keyboard input to the main Illustrator window when typing a name in the Libraries panel.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry we could not understand the issue. We do not support shifting between words using shortcuts but it should not be placing art on your file if you are in rename mode on the library panel
    Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

16. Importing a page from a multi-page PDF replaces the already imported one

Hi!

Ever since Illustrator 23 when opening a PDF with multiple pages with a document already open, the PDF opens into that open document and changes the artboard. At the same time it also opens a new empty document with the name of the PDF. It does not matter if I use open from the menu or if I use drag and drop... When no other file is open it behaves like it should and opens the PDF correctly.

Please provide a solution...

thanks,

best regards,

Roger

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Copy and Paste

Observation
    • If a User copies text from Illustrator and attempts to paste that data (such as a very detailed and random artboard range) into the Range field of a Export dialogue box they will be unable to paste that information

Results
    • User is forced to paste the text into a Browser address bar (for example) and copy it again for the paste function in the Range field to work

Expected Results
    • A User could copy and paste easily within any dialogue box from any source

OSX

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Illustrator 26.2.1 unable to save as .ai or .pdf

Details of your operating system
    Windows 10
    The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop)
    The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
    Save blank Artboard OK, but when with text, it is not saving/responding... hang
    Your expected result and the actual result
    Expects file to be saved as .ai or .pdf.... Actual it hangs and not saving
    Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Illustrator 25.2.1 Keeps losing links to images

I have a document that contains many imported images, every time I close it and reopen it I have to relink all of the images again. The links panel shows me the file name and the path but all that is on the artboard is a black square.

It has also been crashing more lately so of course I have to relink the images when I get it back up again.

Embedded images seem to stay but as we all know the file size is going to get crazy.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Breaking link of scaled Symbol with "Scale strokes and effects" off will scale Symbol appearance back to original.

Illustrator CC 2018
    Windows 10

I have put a Symbol on my Artboard, and scaled it to 50% of its original size.
    I want to break its link, and maintain its proportional appearance (i.e. stroke width half of original).
    If "Scale strokes and effects" is off, stroke sizes are doubled (back to original value). You have to tick it on for it to work as expected.

Is this a bug or a feature?

In the attached image, to the left is the Symbol (at 50% scale) broken with tick on, to the right off.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Symbols  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base