Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

242 results found

1. What video formats can we upload to bug requests?

I used to be able to upload videos to the bug reports but now no matter what format I seem to choose, I get a note that the format cannot upload. Furthermore, the bug report gets posted anyway without notice so if I try to upload a different format the post is double posted.

Can you please tell us what types of formats are allowed?

Can you change the bug report form so that when an unsupported video format is selected there's a warning or indication before pressing the post idea button OR if an unsupported format is selected and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We receive videos in form of .mov, .mp4 and at times even .mpg.
    This portal allows attachments up to 50 mb and you can use any format for it. Is it possible there is a software or an browser extention that is troubling you. Can you please try this bug form from another browser or computer.

2. Pixel number inconsistency

Windows 10? (most recent and just updated yesterday)
    Illustrator 22.1 (64bit)

When I told Illustrator to create an artboard of 350x350 pixels, I thought it could actually do so. That was the template image size that our web designer propogated across our entire website.

Then I exported 11 images from Illustrator to .png format to re-build one of our webpages. They came out as 1459x1459. Now I will resize them in Microsoft Paint. They'll pixelate and probably look like trash. All because Illustrator can't understand "350 pixels x 350 pixels" on the Create New prompt window.

Flaming dumpster fire. I…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The intended way to ensure your pixel-sized document stays the same size after export is to use the default screen resolution — 72 PPI.

If you set anything else, Illustrator will scale the image  accordingly (as if the 'Resample' option in Photoshop is ticked when you resize an image).

There is no way to write a custom resolution AND maintain the desired size at the same time.

The reasoning behind this behaviour is that the resolution value is supposed irrelevant when an image’s intent is Screen or Web. An image can have no resolution value stored in it at all, it’s just an optional coefficient, and then different viewers and editors suppose a value on their own — usually 72 PPI (Mac-style) or 96 PPI (Windows-style).

Unlike other editors, Illustrator has a continuous range for all measurements units. One pixel is considered to be equal one point, and a point…

3. resizing window

When creating a new document the widow goes full screen, when I try to resize using the bottom right corner to resize window, it automatically grows larger than the screen size and can't grab the corner....then when I do get the corner back on the screen trying to resize just doesn't work well, its very slow and largish and half the time it won't resize it jumps back to full or only partially resizes....never did this before and its a pain i spend 10 min trying to get the window like I want it to be nearly every time I…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Text always shows as black

Sometimes, when I apply color to a text box (using the swatches or the eyedropper) the color shown on screen is black even though in the Appearance panel the Fill is the one I applied.
    I made a screenshot (attached) to demonstrate

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

The attached screenshot displays the FILL color underneath the CHARACTERS in the APPEARANCE panel therefore any change applied to the FILL will not be displayed, to display it correctly please move the FILL color row on top of the CHARACTER row (Click & Drag) in the Appearance panel.

Hope this helps to resolve this issue.

With Best Regards,
    Raghuveer Singh
    Illustrator Team

5. Stop asking about switching to the Touch interface

I have a laptop with a touch screen (that I never use, and never intend to use). Every time I open Illustrator, it tells me that it has detected that I am using a touch enabled screen and asks if I want to switch. I would be VERY appreciative if you could make this pop up with a "don't ask me again on this computer" checkbox as it is really annoying as it not always obvious that it has popped up and it makes the screen unresponsive.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Sorry to hear that this dialog was annoying you so much. I am glad to share that this has been removed from the latest release of Illustrator. Please upgrade to latest version to get rid of this issue.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

6. Type Tool is very slow - Adobe Illustrator CC 2019

I recently update Adobe Illustrator CC to the latest version (CC 2019) and the type tool is painfully slow. Every time I try to use it, I get 15-20 seconds of the pinwheel before the cursor shows up. Once the tool is finally activated, everything takes a prolonged amount of time (5-10 seconds to type a letter, etc.) Thanks for any help.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Action using "save as" location not keep settings after restart of Illustrator

I created action that use the "save as" to defined location, when closing and restarting Illustrator the action doesn't save location of "save as" action.

Windows 10 pro ver. 1803

Illustrator ver. 23.0.1

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Recent change to transform function is anti-intuitive.

I have used Illustrator since version 1.11 and the shift key has always been used to constrain angles and proportion in drawing and transforming. suddenly without notice in the latest upgrade the shift key has to be used to FREE transform and the default in the transform function is to maintain proportion or constrain movement to 45 or 90 degrees. This is against the habits of 30 years use. I have also noticed that in the Option>scale function the highlight which used to default to the angle value no longer does so requiring addition keystroking. Not helpful.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Uhm, the Shift does not behave like this now, and even in Photoshop they decided to give a legal option to change it back.

As for the Scale and Rotate dialogs not focusing the filed with the value — also fixed.

Please comment back if you still have these problems.

9. Anchor Points Malfunctioning

I regret to report that, after updating to Adobe Illustrator CC 2019 and upgrading my OS Mojave, the anchor points have become rather fickle, especially with the Direct Selection tool. The shape will look the same once drawn with the Pen Tool, and the anchor points will still be there, but they are invisible. They can still be tampered with, but after releasing the mouse they will disappear. The same issue applies to the rectangular grid tool. Anchor points can be edited and seen with the curvature tool; that is about the only way to do so without the anchor…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Tools move in tool bar, I need to reset tool bar back to default but then moves again with 2/3 mins of working. Please advise. Thanks.

Tools move in tool bar, I need to reset tool bar back to default but then moves again with 2/3 mins of working. Please advise. Thanks.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Turn Sensei Off and Presets

Sensei is making my life ****...what it thinks I want to do is not what I want to do, as such the bug I want to report is my "turn sensei off" button is hidden. For example when using the puppet tool I have to now delete all the pins Sensei thinks I want before I can do the thing I actually want to do making the task longer than it needs to take. That's just the latest (five minutes ago) example of how Sensei is messing up day. Give us a checkbox in preferences to turn Sensei off.

Presets…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is already a preference to turn off the Sensei feature that you spoke about. Go to preference , go to general tab and turn off the checkbox “Enable Content Aware Defaults”. This is the last option on the second column.

Units are part of presets so each time you create a file using a preset it will create using the units that was saved in the preset. To workaround this what you need to do is follow the following steps:
    1. Press CTRL+N or CMD+M – depending on your platform
    2. Select the preset of your choice e.g. A4 / Letter etc…
    3. On the right pane change the unit to your choice like inches.
    4. Create your file
    5. The next time you come back to this file new dialog you should have this preset in your recent tab

12. Can't create new file

When I click Create New... it comes up with a window but it doesn't have anything on it. All that comes up is the window with the title of %CCXFNFTDIALOG_NAME. It is really annoying since I can't create new project.

I'm on a Window 10 running Illustrator 23.0.1.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Preview in properties panel does not work for changing values via arrow keys

When changing the line width in the properties panel via arrow keys, the preview is not updated!

In appearance panel it works OK

How can I get back this behavior?

https://feek.d.pr/4rqMHZ.gif

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. No swatches showing for any panels

When I open up a file using the open with option inside of Windows explorer, my swatches are always empty no matter what panel I'm using. Colors panel, etc. The only way it doesn't seem to have this bug is if I'm inside of Adobe Illustrator and I open a file from inside of the program. This is very inconvenient.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is working as expected. You have opened a png file and since a png file will not have Illustrator swatches it does not show up.
    If you create a new Illustrator file will then see Illustrator swatches. Once you have created a new Illustrator file you can place the png file inside it.

16. Interacting with properties panel can make app require force close

MacOS 10.14.1
    Illustrator 23.0.1

Clicking on options in the 'Properties' palette, then clicking outside the resulting dialog can make the app become mostly unusable:

• Menus are greyed out
    • any menu function can't be done, including save and quit
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi David,

This happens, when you open some menu while a panel pop-up is still open. Since you had the fill popup open from properties panel, when you clicked on menu, so its grayed out.
    You need to close the popup first to open the menu.

17. Align distribute center doesn't work

Trying to use Align>Distribute center with Align to Selection selected - on a group of elements.

Elements arent distributed symmetrically but seem to randomly distribute, some elements very close together and others very far apart. Same issue has been repeating since updating to 23.0.1. Working on MacOS Mojave 10.14.

For example the attached 3 elements were aligned with horizontal center distribution, but the center object moved close to the left text block.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. No icon - can't recognise file type.

Latest build Windows 10 with Ai 23.0.1 can't recognise the file and keeps asking what to open with. Additionally the icon is missing on all ai. files.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please reinstall Illustrator. The functionality that you are referencing comes from the Windows operating system and re-associating file types using the Windows operating system should solve the issue.

19. Wrong font preview for RTL languages

There are a few problems with the new fonts preview in the last version of Illustrator.
    1. Even though 'Selected Text' preview option is selected the preview shows first five Hebrew alphabet letters instead.
    2. This happens weather the text box is selected or the text itself.
    3. Sometimes the 'Selected Text' preview is shown. In those cases it's shown backwards (LTR instead of RTL).

This happens in spite of the fact that the text box is marked as a 'Hebrew' one and 'RTL Arabic' digits is selected.
    I'm using a Mac running OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Eli,

Not all the fonts have all the glyphs available with them to show the preview. For the fonts where glyphs are not available, we show the default sample preview (that’s why you get first five glyphs for those fonts)

Hope This helps.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator QE

20. stroke

Stroke panel does not work correctly. No details are shown and only after multiple workspace changes, does it sometimes appear.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for contacting us. your panel is in collapsed state. Please click on double arrow button to expand the same.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base