Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

242 results found

1. Object size change?

Now, the transformation panel reflects the size of a shape plus the thickness of the outline if there is one.
    For example, a rectangle of 100x100 with an outline (in the middle) of 1 displays a size of 101x101, 102x102 if the outline is external and 100x100 if the outline is internal.
    It's a very confusing change! The previous behavior was much more talkative.
    I understand that this reflects the actual size, including the outline thickness, but this should be an option. I did not see myself 3 decimal digits when I want a rectangle of 100x100! :)

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. No de-selection of gradient Point / Appearance panel behaviour in AI23

If I edited a gradient point once, the selected point stays selected forever. I is possible for me to select another gradient point, but not de-select the point.

Why would this be necessary?
    Because, when I edit some stacked layers of gradients in the appearance panel (what I do very often), the editing of the gradient hides the complete appearance, showing only the highlighted color swatch of the gradient point in the appearance panel.
    The only way to get the whole appearance visible again in the panel, is to swith to another tool (i.e. selection tool). This is very time…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Marek & Dllyana,

Thanks for sharing this issue,Illustrator team really appreciate this.
    You can deselect the selected color stop via Escape key when you are in gradient tool. I hope this works for you as a workaround to deselect the selected color stop.

3. You took away the highlighted outlines from when I select and create objects

I cannot see the outlines highlighted on anything I select, this has ruined my ability to use this program.
    I tried going into preferences and selecting the option for showing anchors when I select and it did not work either.

I want the old version back, this is useless, PLEASE STOP CONSTANTLY UPDATING THIS PROGRAM

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry to hear that you are facing this issue. Looks like you have ‘Show Edges’ option disabled. Goto View→ Show Edges and it will enable the outlines.

4. 2019 update. Worst update ever! Why? Why did you move and change all the tools?????? None of them make sense or are intuitive anymore.

Worst update ever! Why? Why did you move and change all the tools?????? None of them make sense or are intuitive anymore.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Illustrator provides two tool panels now: Basic (chosen by default) and Advanced (with all the tools, including plugin ones). This change was made to make Illustrator less clumped form the beginning and ease the learning process. You can read more about this here: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/tools.html

You can also access all the tools from the 'drawer' menu, by clicking the button with three dots at the bottom of any toolbar.

As always, Ai doesn’t care much about our settings, and this time they forced this changes for everyone, not explaining the change directly in-app. Hope this gets improved.

5. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Possible Bug - Crop Image Auto Resizing Crop Box in New CC Illustrator 2019

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or just a poorly executed new feature, but in the new Illustrator CC 2019 when you have a raster image in the file and you go to "Crop Image" the crop marquee automatically changes to a random size and shape instead of remaining at the edges of the image. I'm not sure if there is some hidden feature where it is trying to automatically detect where you might crop the image to by detecting the image edges, but this is super annoying when you are trying to do something like just adjusting…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You are referring to the content aware crop feature: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/whats-new.html#ContentAwareCrop

To turn this feature off please visit the Preference dialog (CMD+K) and turn off “Enable Content Aware defaults”

If I may suggest a workflow for you.
    1. Use linked images, they not only are fast but also save disk space.
    2. If you already have embedded images in your file, please use the unembed feature of Illustrator to export and link files automatically for you.
    3. All linked images have this feature of Edit Original where you can edit images in a software of your choice like Photoshop.
    4. If you have to share files to other users please make use of File menu>Package feature to collect everything including linked images and fonts in one directory.

7. can't read pdf in acrobat pro dc, created in illustrator CC 2019, since update

can't read pdf in acrobat pro dc created in illustrator CC 2019. Opens file but shows no content. Illustrator some times struggles to open ai files, very slow.
    Model Name: MacBook Air
    Model Identifier: MacBookAir5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBA51.00F8.B00
    SMC Version (system): 2.5f9
    Serial Number (system): C02HX379F57J
    Hardware UUID: 605CDB5B-A377-5A89-AECE-064496379592
    macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Blob tool won't change size

When I use the blob tool it won't change size from 1 pt. No matter if I change the size. It is very frustrating to use so I can do college homework.

This issue is on both my Acer laptop with my Huion tablet and on my Surface Pro 3. I reinstalled the app on my laptop and didn't fix the issue.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Brushes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. How to reinstall CC2018?

How to reinstall CC2018? The updater removed it. CC2019 keeps failing to preview and then crashing!!!!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Oversize UI Elements in Ai 2019

I noticed that with the 2019 version of Illustrator (23.0), the entire UI of the software seems to be "supersized." It is as if every pixel is now rendered oversized. Not just in the drawing area, but all the tools, controls, panels, everything.

I've attached a "full screen" screen shot of the 2019 (v. 23.0) welcome screen, and the (reinstalled) 2018 (v. 22.1) welcome screen. Both are maximized on the same physical screen, the display on my MacBook Pro. See how the buttons and other elements are larger in the 2019 version? Like it is somehow zoomed in.

I do…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Freeform Gradient doesn't transform correctly High Sierra (macOS 10.13)

Freeform Gradient points should transform relative to path. Gradient does not transform as expected.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Escape Key and Arrows Not Working With Illustrator 2019

Several keys are not working as intended. The arrow keys do not work at all. The escape key also does not work in certain situations. When creating text, the escape key no longer works to exit out of editing the text.

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi everyone,

The issue seems to be fixed for all users. So please let us know if anyone else is still facing it, otherwise we can close the issue.

Regards
    Anjali
    Adobe Illustrator

13. saved workspace not the same after 22.1 update

After 22.1 update my workspace is missing saved tool of Symbol, Brush, & Graphic style libraries. Only cloud character library is okay. Reset workspace in menu doesn't work.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Workspace panels move on their own

While using the new Illustrator CC v.23, the workspace will randomly move around and cover up the artboard that I am working on. I can simply click "reset workspace" and it's back to normal it is very frequently that the workspaces move around randomly. Please fix, Thanks.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have a feature to popup colors panel when you click on fill/stroke proxy. Please remove the colors panel from the the workspace when it pops-up you should be fine. When I say remove you just have to remove from the dock and keep it as a floating

15. Actual Size view menu does not display at actual size...

The new "Actual Size" feature under the view menu does not zoom to actual size. a 1" square is displayed at around 7/8" instead.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

there are two issues in this post
    1. Users want this feature to work on multiple monitors.
    2. Users want to have a view actual pixels for web drawings.

for #1 please vote here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/35799382--actual-size-should-work-with-multiple-monitors

for #2: we have an option to disable – You have to go to Preferences > General and uncheck “Display print size at 100% Zoom”.

16. Dialog boxes appearing on second display

I run Illustrator CC on an iMac (5K, 27-inch, late 2015) running Mojave, with a secondary ViewSonic display for browser windows, etc. I do my design work on the iMac display. Sadly, all of my Adobe Illustrator dialog boxes (save, etc.) appear on that second display (this has been the case for the last few CC releases, and predates Mojave)—it got so annoying that I disconnected the second display for a while. No issues with the other Adobe apps I run (Photoshop and InDesign). Would love to see this resolved.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Tool panels are enlarged or scaled up

Updated to Illustrator 2019 - workspace panels have increased dramatically in size - see screen grab of Illustrator and the same area in photoshop.

Solutions helpful as I cannot have as many panel open as they now take up so much space!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Legacy shape-drawing functionality is missing

I do not want "smart" shapes by default. My biggest gripe is that one cannot easily draw shapes in rapid succession. For example, if I draw a circle and immediately want to draw another, say, centered around the anchor point of the previous, I have to CMD+SHIFT+A to deselect the previous shape. Otherwise the shape tool is no longer a shape tool but a TRANSFORM tool.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can switch off the bounding box and smart widgets by pressing shortcut Cmd + Shift + B and can use the drawing tools as legacy tools.
    You can also select View→Hide bounding box for the same.

For reverting back to current state again press the same shortcut or select View → Show bounding box

Hope this would help achieving your workflow.

19. Welcome screen Illustrator CC 2019

Customize the Welcome Back screen: Right now the "Start a new file fast" screen shows various options including an A4. I'm not in the EU. Where's the US Letter size? That would make the most sense in the US. Where can I edit that group? How do I clear the list of most recent?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. CC font preview not working any more

When I start typing a font name in the character box I used to get the related font preview pop up , this no longer works at all and is very irritating

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base