Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

82 results found

1. Workspaces not working at all

Today (Mar 19th, 2018) I updated Illustrator and upon (re)launching, NONE of my pallets/Windows opened into the application. When I try to switch to built-in or custom Workspaces, nothing changes. The Workspace STAYS selected as my previously-selected Workspace and none show up. If I manually go look at the Windows in the menu, none are open and I can MANUALLY open them and move them around... "Manage Workspaces" and "New Workspace" are disabled (Gray) and no matter what I do, I cannot change or override. I have quit/relaunched numerous times - same results.

42 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Click and touch release problems Illustrator CC 2018 Mac High Sierra - cause dictation software

Illustrator v 22.0.1, Mac OS High Sierra on Macbook Pro 2016, touch bar, 2.9GHz Intel core i7, 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3

Clicking, tapping, with trackpad or wireless mouse (Kensington wireless Turbo Mouse trackball): click/tap does not release, so the object is highlighted or selected and stuck to the cursor as you move it around.

In the layers palette, (The new Properties/Layers) clicking/tapping a layer lock to unlock it may unlock it with a delay, or lock/relock it. The same goes for view/hide visibility for layers. The response is difficult to interpret, possibly because of delays. But it not possible to use…

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Visual glitch prevents using Illustrator when file is opened from Finder before launching Illustrator

As the title describes, this glitch occurs consistently whenever launching a file from finder before launching Illustrator.

The file seems to open, as the layers can be seen in the layers window, but the main document editing window is occupied by the welcome menu. The welcome menu cannot be closed, and the files shown in the recent section cannot be opened. See image 1.

The only way to exit the menu without closing Illustrator is to open another Illustrator file through Finder or through File > Open. Then, another visual glitch will take place: the tabs used to select the…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

4. Mouse click sticking

This problem only seems to happen in Illustrator. I have not seen this issue when I use Photoshop.

Clicking with the mouse, does not always work as expected. It is almost like there is a long delay before the release is detected, resulting in a drag operation. Sometimes I see the spinner appear after I click. I have tried a different mouse, same issue. In the video, I am only ever doing a quick click, without moving the mouse.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. The keyboard stops to work

The keyboard stops to work with no reason apparent. I have to restart the app to fix it (for a while).

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Zoom - Scroll Wheel

In Illustrator CC the program seems hardwired to not listen to the tablet settings about scroll wheel zoom or even touch pad zoom. There are lots of people online complaining about this and trying to find work arounds.
    I suggest just creating a hard wired button like photoshop did to fix this issue.
    This wasn't an issue with Illustrator CS4, so I'm not sure what changed.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

7. The interface doesn't appear

When I open Ai, the interface never load(1). If I pass the cursor over the top, that bottons appear(2). And, if I select a new color of interface appear the rest(3), but if I press "Ok", that disappears.

Intel Core i3-5005U CPU @ 2.00 GHz
    4Gb ram
    64bits system

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels – helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

8. New File and Help Tabs Not Working

This is not an idea, it's a bug in the system. The 'File -> New' command does not work. If I click 'File -> New', it brings up a new window that remains black and does nothing. I found a work around. If I check the use 'legacy "File New" interface' box In the 'Edit -> Preferences -> General' dialog, only then will it allow me to create a new document.

I can, however, upon initially opening illustrator, create a new document. But say i'm working on a project and I want to create a new document with the 'File…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels – helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

9. Zooming malfunction when switching between windows.

This occurs when I have multiple documents open in tabs. When I switch between tabs and scroll to zoom, it zooms in the previously opened tab, but not the current one. If I click within the document, then I can start zooming normally again.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Drop down menus stop working

Drop down menus will stop working at random. For example, the weight menu under the character panel will not drop down. However, if for example I have my font set to "Black", although I cannot use the drop down menu, I can select the word "Black" and type "Bold" and it will switch the font to bold.

This happens with various menus throughout the software. I have not been able to fix it. Even after quitting the program and restarting my computer the issues persists.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Expand Appearance is greyed out in 2019 compare to CC2018, same doc, same selection, it is enabled.

I have a document which, when I select certain objects in CC 2019 - Expand Appearance isn't available and Expand, when used, doesn't give the expected result. Exact same document, exact same selection in CC 2018 and Expand Appearance is available, and when clicked, works perfectly and as expected.
    FYI - the selection has a number of Transform effects applied to it.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. hand tool missing

the hand tool does not show up when i click the zoom tool and the little arrow in the bottom right corner of that tool. it shows nothing.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

13. Cannot view 150% zoom level

1. Illustrator CC 20.1 (64-bit); Windows 10-64
    2. Trying to zoom to 150% by selecting the preset option from the zoom drop-down menu, or using Ctrl++
    3. Expected result: document is shown at 150% zoom (actual size due to DPI scaling issues)
    4. Actual result: zoom preset goes to 200% and document is shown at 200%. This only happens with this document and not others; it contains both vector and raster data. For some reason I can zoom at every other preset except 150% (true actual size)
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Problems with text, bounding box, selections, scaling and more

Hello, I’ve been having a problem with Illustrator for now a week. The version I am working with is 22.1 and I am working on a MacBook Pro 15in 2017 with Sierra 10.13.5, Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Graphics: Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB and Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB,

I noticed that the problem always starts showing up when I am working with text, especially when changing the tracking of the text. The problem shows up after usually a couple hours of work and it “resets” when restarting the application or…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Adobe Color Themes panel becomes blank and unresponsive

The panel works as intended for a while, but after working for a while (20 min or so) -The Adobe Color Theme Panel becomes blank after trying to switch between "create" & "explore".

Closing and restarting Illustrator 2018 fixes this, but that become s big pain to have to keep closing and re-opening all your files just to use the color theme tools.

I'm not sure if it is caused by the webseach that happens with the "..." elipses dots, but sometimes it seems that it just doesn't find the color website and that is why it doesn't show anything.…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

16. as if the shift key is stuck (all functions and operations)

After installing the new version, when in Illustrator, shift key has to be held down or things don't work. It's as if the shift key is pressed and I have to press it to release it, if you know what I mean. If I try to select a new tool and click it in the tool panel - nothing happens. If I hit the shift key and do the same again - works fine.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Layers Window Twirl Down Icon Issue

I only know of this occurring on the latest version of Adobe Illustrator CC 2017 for Windows 8.1. In the Layers Windows, there's a very slight graphical bug. A locked group within another locked group is expanded to show what it contains by pressing the sideways "V" shaped arrow to the group's left side. As expected, the arrow plays its animation of rotating into the downward "V" shape and expanding the group. However, when the locked group is compressed down again, the button to expand the group disappears and is unclickable until clicking off to another item in the Layers…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Info palette moves to monitor Measure Tool is used

The Info palette instantly jumps to the monitor that you use the Measure Tool on. If it's connected to all the other palettes on a secondary monitor, all of them instantly jump to the monitor where you are using the Measure Tool.

Like most people, I have my palettes on a secondary monitor and my main monitor has my document. So every single time I use the Measure Tool, my palettes jump over to the main monitor.

Please fix this so the Info palette stays where I put it when using the Measure Tool.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Start Screen/Blank Screen Persists

Every time I close an Adobe window, AI, PS, Acrobat, it leaves a "home screen" up. This is annoying in the extreme. I can uncheck show this screen in prefs, but then it just leaves a blank black slate up there. Equally annoying. When I close a document, I expect the app to not still be there in my way. Please fix this. We pay a bunch of money for access to these great tools of the trade, give us the ability to make them work like we prefer. Thank you. I am aware this is not technically a bug,…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. just installed illustrator 2019 and my apple magic mouse 2 has gone rogue... come on!!!

just installed illustrator 2019 and my apple magic mouse 2 has gone rogue... come on!!!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base