Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

239 results found

1. Can NOT see what is selected!

Selecting an Object or text no longer gives any indication that it is selected! No handles, no highlighting. I updated to 27.5 and it seemed like it worked for a few clicks, but has reverted back. I can't see that it is a setting, and can't seem to get the expected behavior back. It is ridiculously difficult to work on a file when you have to just assume something is selected!!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Selection  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. I can't scale objects, neither with basic arrow tool, it feels like this one is the same of the white arrow.

I can't scale objects, neither with basic arrow tool. It feels like it's the same of the white arrow. I tried changing area's work, illustrator version, but nothing happens. It just doesn't work, shift + click doesn't scale any object, nothing happens when i click on the angle, it only shows me the anchor points just like the white arrow...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Actions  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Recolour tool does not load custom colour palettes (AI 27.3)

I have restarted my machine already multiple times, but when I try to use the recolour tool, the added colour palettes I created do not load on the right hand side

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Cannot move Guide line even when it is unlocked

Cannot move "Guide" line with selection tool or direct select tool even when the layer of "guide" is unlocked. Been happening for a week now.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Selection  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Guides in Illustrator can be locked in two ways: separately, as any other object, or all at once, using View > Guides > Lock/Unlock Guides command, which is independent of the common way, and won’t allow you to unlock guides later one by one, only all of them together.

5. Multiple Artboards X and Y axis not resetting

This is a new issue: normally the X and Y axis reset when you click on an alternate artboard but recently, it's maintain the X and Y of the first artboard. My sample is a 4"x4", 4-artboard layout, and the shape is on artboard 2, horizontal to artboard 1.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Smart Object from Illustrator to PS not working after Mac Ventura 13.2.1 update

Copy and pasting a vector file from Illustrator into Photoshop as a smart object no longer saves the way it used to. In Photoshop, when I wanted to make a change to the smart object, I would double click on it in the layers panel, it opens in Illustrator, make a change, cmd + s to save, back to Photoshop and the smart object would update. Now after updating to Ventura 13.2.1, the process is the same, but after saving and returning to Photoshop, my fonts show up differently. Screenshots included.

1 - Smart Object in Photoshop
    2 - Making…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The problem got resolved when fonts got activated for Photoshop in the font manager app.

It seems that for some reason Photoshop does not warn users about missing fonts in smarts, although it should not be relevant, since Ps reads the PDF content from a smart to render it...

Needs further investigation. If you have updates on this — please comment.

7. Glitch signs introduced by illustrator when opening a plot created by R

Hi everyone,

I mainly use Illustrators to manually edit plots/figures created by R (a statistical programming tool). R creates PDFs which can (normally) be opened and edited using Illustrator.

However, I recently encountered a strange bug. My plots look just fine when I open the PDFs using Acrobat Reader, but they contain glitch signs instead of points when I open them using Illustrator 2023.

I am attaching a (zoomed in) picture showing these symbols. If anyone can help, that would be very appreciated :).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Selecting and moving points

When I select a curve that has another element behind, and then try to select a point to move it, most of the time I end up selecting and element behind this point (another curve or layer). So to avoid this I end up locking all element except the one I'm working on it, if I don't end up loosing a lot of time doing this point selection over and over...
    My guess is you should establish some virtual lock while this moving operation are happening, or some priority hierarchy...
    Another problem is while I move the point I'm pressing…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Selection  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Compound paths not saving

When I make an object a compound path and then save as an SVG, when I go to open the file again, all of the compound paths have reverted to paths. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, I've tried an earlier version, I've done everything I can think of and still my SVG files will not retain compound paths. I'm using an M1 MacBook Pro, AI v27.2

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Illustrator not saving properly

Saving our work is a MAJOR issue! Since updating, I'm having different ones. Sometimes when I command/save, then reopen that file, the last change I made is gone. Now, when I do a save as, Illustrator only saves part of the file name I typed in..

Attached are screen shots showing the file name I try to save it as, and the incorrect file name it saves as.

WTF is up with this stuff? I'm no programmer, but how is it that major bugs like this come up with every new version? I am spending more time working around Adobe…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Can’t select a hyphen at the start of the line

テキストツールで半角英数字で入力したものが、後になって選択できなくなる場合があるようです。
    「- 2022 -」と入力したあと、修正しようとしたら、最初の「- 」が選択出来ません。

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Illustrator converts a hyphen at the start of the line to a bulleted list, unless the 'Automatic Bulleted and Numbered lists while typing' option (enabled by default) is not turned off.

These converted markers can’t be selected, unless you convert the text back with the dedicated button in the Paragraph menu.

But be warned though, that sometimes disabling the auto-conversion does not work, and hyphen and other characters still force Illustrator to create a list.

If it does happen to you — please vote here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447/suggestions/45928900

12. Linked Text Boxes DEFORM

When spreading text over more than one text box, the first one is fine, but any consecutive one deforms so the copy is stretched.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Change case feature not working.

I am trying to change from uppercase to lowercase. Using 26.5.1 (64-bit) version. I wish I had not upgraded as it crashes every few minutes. Steps: highlight text; Type-->Change case-->lowercase. (In the attached video the Type drop down does not appear in the recording; follow the mouse.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Toni, for some reason you have All Caps option enabled in the Character panel for this particular text selection (or rather the whole type on path object).

Once disabled, Ai stops to force the capitalization for it, and the result of Change Case commands start to be visible.

I agree though it can be tough to discover.

If anyone else happen to have this exact problem — please add your votes, so the team can get data on reviewing this in the future.

14. Font compatibility issues between different iOS and Illustrator versions

My one system is on Mojave (10.14.6) running 25.4.8 illustrator. The other system is on Monterey (12.3.1) running 26.5 illustrator. And I have downloaded and installed Petrona font from Google fonts on both the systems.

Now when I try to open the file (that was created on Mojave) on Monterey I'm prompted for missing fonts! This compatibility issue is making it very difficult for me to work across my devices.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Unit increments are not correct

I set my keyboard increments at 0,1 mm so when I click on an object I can move it by that amount, or when I use the shift-key it moves with 1 mm. However, it moves with 1 pt increments. Very annoying.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Selection  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Malwerkzeuge (Pinsel/Buntstift) übernehmen nicht die vorherigen Einstellungen

Ich möchte mit dem Bunststift zeichnen und habe dabei die Kontur, die Farbe und das Profil eingestellt. Beim nächsten Strich werden diese Eigenschaften nicht übernommen. Ich muss jedes mal die Eigenschaften neu auswählen... das kann ja jetzt nicht sein? Das hat vorher einwandfrei funktioniert.
    Wäre sehr dankbar für eine Tipp/Lösung!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Can't Access a Saved File from a folder in Google Drive

The Issue:
    I saved an illustrator file then closed the program. After some days, I reopened the program. I could see the preview thumbnail showing my latest edit but when I clicked on it to open, it went back to a much earlier version of the file. This has now happened twice. Please help if you have solved this successfully.

Details:
    Illustrator 26.2.1 (64-bit)
    RAM: 12GB
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.81 GHz

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. copy paste text turns to outlines.

coy and pasting text turns random parts of it to outlines. if you option drag the text, it works fine, keeps all the text in tact. this happens even in the same document, other documents.

makes working pretty much impossible between documents and just a pain in the same document.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Cannot open AI or EPS files just exported from AI

I'm trying to export some vector files from AI, which I've done countless times before and had no problems...

Right now when I save the file as AI and EPS, it shows up in my saved folder as a blank file. When I open the properties from it's saved folder it still shows as AI, however I'm not able to open it with AI or any other applications.

I'm stumped and don't know what I can do next.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Object horizontal and vertical measurements are swapped in tool bar

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
    Processor: 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
    Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559)
    Adobe Illustrator 26.0.2

When selecting an object, like a rectangle, the horizontal and vertical measurements in the tool bar are swapped. They appear correctly in the Transform window.

For example, a horizontal rectangle could be 7pt x 5pt, but when selected in the tool bar it shows 5 in the <--> dialog box and 7 in the vertical box.

I have restarted my computer and restarted illustrator.
    See screen caps below.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the comment:

Illustrator allows to access dimensions of an object as well as dimensions of a live shape. In case when a shape is rotated by 90° the shape’s size values can look swapped compared to measured sizes. It’s like tilting a head. See attached images inside for clarifications.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base