Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

1111 results found

1. Can't export or save files

Every time I click Save As or Export no window pops up and I can't save any of my files.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. SVG Stroke Widths are not scaled according to viewBox

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Illustrator CC 2019

1. rename the attached .txt file to .svg and import the SVG file into Illustrator.

expected: it should display two horizontal lines
    actual: it appears as a rectangle because the lines are touching

here are two lines, 200px apart, with 100px stroke width in a 500x500 SVG with a viewbox of 1000x1000. since the viewbox is twice the size of the SVG document, the stroke width should be scaled down to 50px and the lines should not overlap.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Data merge with variables shared by multiple objects should not create errors

Assigning multiple objects to the same variable would be particularly useful for language translations, in which the same value should appear in different objects of the same document.

While the UI allows to link several objects to the same variable, Illustrator behaves badly in these cases:

1. When a new dataset is created, Illustrator will assign different values to the same variable and where the value shows up is unpredictable.

2. The exported variable library is invalid and cannot be imported again.

3. If a CSV is imported into such a document, the import fails with an unknown error, while the CSV import…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Action using "save as" location not keep settings after restart of Illustrator

I created action that use the "save as" to defined location, when closing and restarting Illustrator the action doesn't save location of "save as" action.

Windows 10 pro ver. 1803

Illustrator ver. 23.0.1

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Unembed for Black and White Bitmap

Adobe Illustrator 22.1
    macOS High Sierra 10.13.3

The Unembed button is grayed out for Black & White Bitmap images. The workaround is to Rasterize as Grayscale but this is leading to unexpected results. Parts of my images are disappearing, please fix the bug and add this feature.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Clicking on File > File Info... does nothing and sometimes locks up

When opening a file or creating a new file, nothing happens when I click on File > File Info...

The menu bar disappears and all menu options are grayed out. I can sometimes hit escape and it clears the condition, but I'm unable to open the File Info dialog. Other times, it completely locks up and I have to Force Quit.

On version Illustrator 22.0.1
    Running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3 (17D102)
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

7. Unsaveable document

I encountered a problem with the current project file.
    Whenever I save it, it immediately gets dirty, the asterisk in the tab header pops back instantly.
    If I close the file (with save before) and open it back, it gets dirty again.

I stripped all the content I had and reduced it to the minimal state of one hidden layer with one shape in it.

Once you show the layer, it gets saved OK.
    Once you add a new layer — OK, which is strange, because the original has many and some are locked, some are hidden, and a lot…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Export for Screens doesn't remember settings.

Export for Screen Doesn't remember my settings.
    Every time I restart Illustrator, I have to set again my Export for Screen setting.

I have project where I want to export few different sizes PNGs and a PDF, so it is getting a bit tedious to set those again every time I restart Illustrator. And of course it doesn't remember Export folder either.

It really amaze me how Adobe can brake some basic functionality like this.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Copy/paste vector: Illustrator → Figma/Inkscape gives inconsistent results

SInce 25.3, some shapes are distorted when copied from AI to Figma, Inkscape or any other software, as you can see in the attached image.

It's not systematic. I attached a document to reproduce the issue.
    Note that it's not fixed by the last prerelease.

I attached an example.

Mac OS Catlina
    AI 25.3.1

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Illustrator holds on to DWG/DXF files until it quits

If a DWG/DXF file is opened, imported or even looked at by illustrator, then those files can't be moved, renamed, deleted or modified at all until illustrator is quit. Windows shows the error "Can't do 'x' because the file is still open in Illustrator.
    Seems to be a 2020/2021 issue as 2019 doesn't do the bug.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. This file has been modified outside of Illustrator

Just like the title says. This is a really annoying problem. It happens every time when I save to Onedrive or when I use Illustrator files from the Google Drive File Stream. This is a long term problem for me and many others. Even tough people mark their problem as solved, it isn't.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Saving a file should not highlight the extension

When saving (copy, exporting, etc), the save box highlights the extension. This should not happen. Soon as you choose a different format, the extension is no longer highlighted (which is good and how it should be). The extension should not be highlighted. This Illustrator bug happened after the Mac Catalina update.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Adobe Illustrator Hidden Layers Show In InDesign

When layered files are placed from Illustrator into InDesign, the files in InDesign show the Illustrator hidden layers. If you're not careful, the files can be presented incorrectly. The only fix I have seen is to resave the Illustrator file, then delete and import the image again in InDesign with the layer options selected. Review each layer before confirming the image placement.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. PNG Not exported with Black Background

Export Element > PNG > Background Color Black not working

Illustrator Version: CC2018, 22.0.1 (64-bit)
    Language: German

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

15. SVG files scaling issue

At the opening, AI does not take in consideration a transform define in a <use /> in a SVG file and all elements defined in this section have wriong scale (see displayingissue.png). This is not obsevable in any web browser and competitor tool. In attachement, inital SVG file and the file modified (*_AI.svg) to get correct displaying in AI.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. SVG export for screens not working properly.

Windows 11 22000.556 / Illustrator 26.1

Hi there,

The SVG file exported through "Export for screens" is corrupted when opened with any web browser, Illustrator or Photoshop.

I managed to export it properly by installing an older version of Illustrator (26.0.3). Previously I tried uninstalling and installing version 26.1, restarting the computer, etc and it didn't work.

Best,
    Alex

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Can't open my most recent aic file

Using windows 10. I created the file on v25.0 of illustrator and yesterday updated to v25.01 and the file continued to work fine and my work was saved.

Today I am unable to open that one file from my cloud documents. On the illustrator home page if I click on the file preview nothing happens, whereas with every other document clicking on the preview opens the document. I have tried opening it from my cloud storage webpage but it just opens the home page of the desktop app. It also says there's an error when I try to download the…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Export Artboards occasionally exports bleed

I'm using Windows 10, up to date as of 8th Nov 2020.

I have a new file, 85mm x 55mm. set up with a 3mm bleed. When attempting to export a JPG or PNG without the bleed (so, only the artboard visible) it still outputs the bleed area. I have tried exporting for screen, exporting with the 'Use Artboards' box both checked and unchecked. I have even reset my Illustrator preferences. No idea why this is suddenly not working in V25.0

I also get an error when attempting to export at 300DPI, which has never been an issue in the…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Illustrator CC 2018 in macOS High Sierra Save 'Adobe PDF' presets/.joboptions scrambled, unsorted, mixed up

Since the Illustrator CC got updated to 2018 in macOS High Sierra, whenever saving as Adobe PDF, the PDF print settings/job options got all scrambled/mixed up in the 'Save Adobe PDF' dialog.

These should be sorted alphabetically, but as you can see they're all mixed up. A couple of colleagues are also experiencing this. Is there any way to workaround/fix this issue? See related thread from InDesign - could a startup JSX fix this issue?

See my original post on the Illustrator users forum: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10419940#

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. some graphics missing when exporting artboard using "export as"

Hello, I am experiencing strange results during artboard export - after export to bitmap file, there is often some part of graphics missing. Latest example is this - the 1pt stroke, visible in editor, is not present on exported image. Simillar result achieved in numerous different cases, ussually some shapes or contours with white color are missing in exported image. I am includign source files, you will have the background photo link missing, but this can be replaced with any colored box with same result. This is dangerous bug, because you have to control your exports carefully, and is easy…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The white outlines in the file have Overprint attribute set. White + overprint result in empty objects, please remove overprint attribute from the white objects and try export again.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base