Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

663 results found

1. Font size dropdown not displaying list of default font sizes when clicked

1. Illustrator version 22.0.1 (latest release)
    2. Issue occurs when changing font parameters
    3. Expected the font size dropdown to appear upon click
    4. Clicking on the font size drop down arrow does not display the list of font sizes as it is meant to.
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Type reverting to default when using shift or symbols.

When within the text box, every time I use a symbol (i.e. parenthesis, bullet point) the action causes the type font to revert back to default. In the attached image I was using Acumin and after the parenthesis it reverted back to Myriad Pro.

It's just inconvenient to have to select the text over again and make it the correct font.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. cant copy text from illustrator and paste to indesign

When I attempt to copy selected text characters (not the object) and paste in Indesign, I get outlined characters. I have to go through TextEdit, or any other place I can paste text, then copy it again to get text that will paste in Indesign as characters.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The latest version of Illustrator and InDesign have better handling of the buffer contents now. A selection of text at character level from Illustrator now gets copied and pasted fine in Indesign.

Please check if it works for you now and comment back.

4. Font Family menu

: Illustrator CC 2018 (22.0.1) : Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) : Intel HD 530 GFX card : Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 :

When setting the font family in the Character Panel, the expanded menu will appear mostly black (see attached file AiFontMenuBug.jpg) and makes browsing fonts tricky. This appears to only happen when using the font scaling on my Wacom Cintiq pro 16. When the Character Panel is moved to my other screen, which isn't font scaled, it behaves normally. (see attached file AiFontMenuBug2.jpg)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Scrolling over the Font Family closed dropdown doesn’t respect Filters applied properly

You guys are amazing. I can set my mouse over the font selection box, and without opening the drop down menu, I can scroll through fonts.

The bug is that after setting my font filter, I continue to scroll through an unfiltered list of fonts, unless I open the drop down menu.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Find Font broken between OSX and Windows

Find Font is broken.

For a missing font it requests a different font for OSX and Windows for the same file. It has something to do with the family name or font name or something. The important thing is that it is inconsistent between OS and is impossible to determine the correct font due to this error. This is confirmed to be effecting many people.

Here is a link to a detailed explanation of what is going on with pictures showing the differences between operating systems.

https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/102270/how-to-determine-correct-font-name-between-osx-and-windows-with-adobe-find-font

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Clicking to the side of a (point) text doens't put cursor at the end of line

Illustrator CC 2018
    Mac OS X El Capitan and Windows 10

This used to work on CS6 (at least on Mac): with type tool selected, having clicked anywhere in the middle of a text (point, not area), if I wanted to go to the end of the line (eg to continue typing), I could click anywhere to the right of the text and the cursor would move to the end of the line.

Now, if I do that, it deselects the text (sometimes creates a new point text.

If I want to continue typing, I have to click exactly just…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When setting the leading, cannot select "auto"

When trying to set the leading, cannot re-select "auto"

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. most fonts not rendering

I have to continually uninstall and reinstall 75% of my fonts! They show up in the panel, but do not render when selected. This is way beyond aggravating and is taking up hours of my time daily.
    These are fonts on my hard drive, not typekit or any other font service. using Windows 10 and Illustrator CC 2018 (happened intermittently with 2017, now it's everytime I open Illustrator or let it sit open for more than a few hours)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Closing the ticket since didn’t hear back from customer.

Hi Jamie,
    If you are still facing this issue, Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here

10. AI CC2018 doesn't show certain font styles, while CC2017 does

I have ITC FrizQuadrata installed. This font family has 4 styles: normal, italic, bold and bold italic.

AI CC2017 does show all four.
    CC2018 shows only one — 'ITC'.

It doesn't show it when you type family name, it doesn't show other styles in drop-down style list.
    If I copy/paste text with needed font family style from 2017 to 2018, AI will show me two identical font names but two different preview near them (and again no italics).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com
    Please create a sample file in CC 2017 with styles that you do not see in CC 2018. Create a package out of it so that we also get the font files for investigation and share the package with us. For sharing the package you can either upload to your creative cloud files or any other file sharing system like Dropbox, Wetransfer etc..

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

11. character panel

Please allow this shortcut to work again - No longer able to drag mouse left or right over the text tools (font size, leading, tracking, etc.) to quickly adjust the value lower or higher. This is helpful when designing quickly vs. typing in the exact value or using the arrows to increase/decrease.

This is still possible in the Photoshop update - however, it is buggy and does not work correctly anymore.

Thanks!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Delay of text cursor

1. Illustrator 22.0.0 (64-bit).
    2. There is a delay in the text cursor showing up when it's moved with arrows or a text path is newly clicked, requiring one to wait for it before being able to continue working.
    3. The text cursor should be immediately visible.
    4. There is a delay instead of a couple seconds. (That's a long time when making many moves in a row.)
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – helpx.adobe.com/support.html. Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.

13. Editing tabs in Paragraph Styles crashes Illustrator.

Open attached tab_bug.ai file. Open the Paragraph Styles window. Edit the "Windfall back cover" style. Select the Tabs section. Move the tab to the right. Hit OK. Illustrator crashes.

I've already reported this at https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/31228633-demo-version-of-illustrator-crashes-constantly-de?tracking_code=a5435faf1626b3287df8c29b149793c7, but this is stripped down to the minimum possible case.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

14. Auto-sized Area text not resizing correctly

Looks like someone didn't understand (or maybe I didn't explain well enough) what the issue was with this bug that was declined. So I have recorded a video to demonstrate the issue.

Previous entry here:
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/32016784--bug-area-text-with-auto-size-and-stroke-applied

As before - Windows 7, Illustrator cc18

Please follow steps in the video to recreate the bug which is causing area text boxes to extend beyond the artboard.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Group selection + free transform no longer works on text boxes to resize area without changing text

When I have a textbox open in Illustrator, in the past I could use the group selection tool to select just the box surrounding the type and manipulate that without affecting the text but now the bounding box doesn't even appear when I have the box selected without the type.

Currently to manipulate the box without the type I would need to individually adjust each anchor point on the box, the free transform tool was previously very convenient for working around the fact that there's no actual feature to distinguish between manipulating the text box and the actual type but…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Illustrator Font problem :((

A client's custom font that shows up InDesign and Photoshop is not showing up in Illustrator?!?!?!?!? What is the problem??? And how can I fix this?????

I have Font Book and have never had a problem, now I am trying to reload, restart, test, etc to get the font to show up with no luck.

Any ideas?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Kerning information in character panel not displaying correctly

Illustrator 21.1.0 (64 bit)

Create a text box with some text, set kerning to Auto
    Create another text box with some text, set kerning to Optical.

Select first text box, the kerning will display as auto but on the drop down menu optical is ticked.

The drop down menu will always display the last used option as ticked, regardless of what the current selection is set at.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. After I type text, I can't correct a word. When I click on it it will select a new text box above it. I can only delete the entire text.

After typing a word/paragraph, I can not delete any part of the word except I can select it and delete the entire word/text box. I just got illustrator a couple of months ago and I have always had a problem with it, but now it doesn't work at all. Help!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – helpx.adobe.com/support.html. Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.

Thanks.

19. All Text is not visible and Can't move the objects. The requested transformation would make some objects too large issue.

I opened a project I was working on last week this morning and encountered this issue. All my text is not visible and I cannot move any text boxes without an error message coming up stating: Can't move the objects. The requested transformation would make some objects too large. I tried all the other solutions listed that could be found on Google and this forum. It happens for every project I open. I attached images of what I see and the error message.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Pasting text from Microsoft Office does not work on Mac but works on PC

This has been an issue for quite a while on many different machines Mac OS version, and Illustrator versions over the years and is consistent. When copying text or vectors containing text like graphs from a Microsoft Office app like Excel, PowerPoint, or Word. Then pasting into Illustrator, the graphics and vectors are correct but the text is illegible in that it is corrupted in some way so it looks like symbols.

I know it works on Windows as this is my usual workaround in the past, but my main machine is a Mac and this is a very annoying…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base