Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

242 results found

1. Alignement of neighboring objects

Hi, when I used to move my objects on artboard, there used to be lanes and alignments automatically showing me when two objects on the artboard are in alignment with a green line. However, I can't see that feature anymore, it just happened since yesterday. very frustrating. Is this a bug, or is this due to some settings issue?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. illustrator preview is black and white (fills but not lines?) when file background is transparent

mac os 10.15.6 / ai 24.3

file preview for fills (but not lines) becomes b&w when the file background is transparent. when a background is turned on, preview is fine.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. In the latest version cursor keys are now moving the selected objects/nodes 2 pixels instead of 1

Up until 24.2.1 if I selected an object or node and hit the cursor keys they would move 1 pixel in the direction of the key. Now all of a sudden they move 2. makes trying to align/tweak the position of objects/nodes really difficult and painful

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This often happens when we open Preferences and accidentally press Up or Down arrow key. The very first field focused in the dialog is Keyboard Increment value, and pressing an arrow makes it either zero (which turns into the smallest allowed value of 0.0001) or 2 (if you had 1).

Open Preferences and change the value back.

4. Custom Brush doesn’t get affected by color

I am not able to change the color for my custom brushes. Whenever I select a new color for the brush, the brush still paints black. I have opened and closed the program several times but nothing has worked. I have deleted and made new brushes, but I am still having the same problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Brushes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Selecting two objects adds millions of points to second path...

Adobe Illustrator 24.2.1 (and its predecessor) have a horrible feature which I assume is a bug. When selecting two separate paths (or even two separate text objects) using the Selection Tool or Direct Selection Tool, it seemingly adds millions of points to the second path. The points are not really added and don't actually exist, but they LOOK like they do, meaning it adds a thick blue line along it that looks ghastly and is completely off-putting. I can't use those versions at all and have had to stick to 24.1.3 which is the latest version to not do it.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. In Illustrator 2020 the changes to Align tool window are a headache. Defaulting to align by key object .... Very frustrating defaults.

In Illustrator 2020 the changes to Align tool window are a headache. Defaulting to align by key object .... Very frustrating defaults.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. No x- and y-values for rectangles in the top menu bar

The last Update 24.2 installed. When drawing a rectangle there are no more x- and y-values shown in the top menu bar!!! So they can’t be edited. Only the width and height is shown. How miserable.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I happens when the width of the screen is not wide enough to fit all the elements the Control panel can display. Some blocks, especially from the Transform section, get omitted.

To workaround this without purchasing a larger display, one can open the Control panel's flyout menu, untick some options, like Align, and check if the section needed returns. If yes — then please vote here for a feature that would allow us to change the order of blocks in Control: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/40231882-allow-us-to-chose-order-of-controls-in-control-pan

8. Select same fill color does not take into account tints

When I select "same fill color" or "same appearance" it selects all items using that particular pantone regardless of whether I am using that pantone at 100% or a tint (ex 40%, 50%, 60%).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Cannot open Illustrator after updating to version 24.1.2. Windows 7 reports an error "missing VCRUNTIME140_1.dll". (The 24.1.1 is ok)

Cannot open Illustrator after updating to version 24.1.2.

Windows 7 reports an error "missing VCRUNTIME140_1.dll".

(The older version 24.1.1 works fine after downlaoding.)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Height and Width indicator at cursor switched when resizing a box.

When I go to resize a box, the height and width indicators at the cursor are switched.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The rectangle you are scaling is probably rotated 90 degrees, and how has the width oriented along the Y-axis.

See, rectangles are drawn as live shapes when created in versions after 2014, and they remember their widths and heights independently from the size of their bounding boxes (which can differ a lot if a shape is rotated to an arbitrary angle).

This is somewhat confusing... but your own height does not get smaller if you lay down, isn’t it?

To solve this, you can convert your live rectangle into a path and then immediately convert it back t a rectangle again (Object > Shape > Expand Shape / Convert to Shape) — this will effectively reset the rotation to a 'normal' way.

11. Welcome screen doesn't show

Hello,
    I'm using windows 10 and Illustrator 24.0.2.

Whenever I'm launching Illustrator, without opening a .ai file, my welcome screen doesn't show at all. I can start a new project fine but I still need my screen to show. And yes the setting to show the welcome screen is checked.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Fill & Stroke colors & gradients selective but only previous fill visible on object

Latest Windows PC Version 10 64-bit. Adobe 2020 (24.0.2).
    Everything was normal until I began drawing a regular 5-point star with green fill & black stroke (fill color doesn't really matter). Layer shows correct colors of star in layers panel but the layer folder and what's visible on screen show no change in red fill result (which was set previously). In other words, choosing different fill colors made no difference. However, stroke color can be changed. Tried other shapes with same results. (Even restarted Illustrator.)
    Putting another shape on top of a previous shape caused the stroke of 2nd shape…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Bug with stroke

Hello! I got a bug. When you copy a shape to a new artboard, a stroke appears that cannot be deleted. It is superimposed over the usual stroke. And when you remove the fill and stroke, it remains. The same when reinstalling the program, this problem remains in this file.
    P.S. I worked in the latest version of illustrator

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Help > Illustrator Help goes to marketing page

Selecting Illustrator Help from the Help menu no longer links to Illustrator information and search links, but goes to a generic CC marketing page. From there, there is no clear path, and it requires at least two more clicks, in addition to having to figure out which are the appropriate links to follow. This is not helpful, and takes time away from productive work.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. No search bar in Pantone swatch color books

When I go to search for Pantone colors, or and other colors, there is no search bar at the top of the swatch tool window

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Effect 3D Rotate perspective error

With Effects/3D Rotate, Illustrator can't render a placed image using a high perspective value. The image is all distorted. See screenshots:

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue, Illustrator Team really appreciate this.

To adjust the perspective, enter a value between 0 and 160 in the Perspective text box. A smaller angle is similar to a telephoto camera lens; a larger lens angle is similar to a wide-angle camera lens. A lens angle that is higher than 150 may result in objects extending beyond your point of view and appearing distorted
    For more details please refer to link: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/creating-3d-objects.html#extrude_bevel_options

Thanks and Regards
    Ankit Goyal
    Illustrator Team

17. SVGs: Objects with dashed lines are split up

Hello,

I create an object (rectangle) in the AI with a dashed line (8px / 8px). Contour 2px and grey filling.
    If I save this object as *.svg and then open the saved SVG again, the path of the rectangle is fragmented.
    This denomination always occurs just before the corners. In other words, a rectangle is divided into 4 paths and becomes a group...

Version: AI 23.1
    Windows 10 Enterprise
    Intel Core i7-6820IQ 2.70 Ghz
    16 GB RAM

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for a late answer. Basically it happens because of 'Align dashes to corners' option that is turned on for the object in Stroke panel. When it's on, Illustrator internally treats this stoke exactly like you have in the SVG — a group of normal dashed lines with recalculated gaps and dashes, and custom inserts where it's required.

SVG just can't handles this, so to preserve the look it applies this treatment, converting it from the 'live' to 'expanded'.

Try to disable the option and comment back if it helps.

18. Big problem with 'Horizontal Align Center' bug fix

Windows 7 64bit professional service pack 1,
    Illustrator CC 23.0.6.

The recent fix for "The 'Horizontal Align Center' option does not align text with the center of object if text has tracking applied on it" in version 23.1 is causing all of our files, tens of thousands of documents, to display incorrectly when you open them, shifting text automatically. We need to be able to turn off this "fix" in settings or something please. We produce scale rules and navigational equipment etc. and almost every one of our files is incorrect if we upgrade to 23.1! We are stuck on…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Using the newest version of Illustrator won't let me use new files for older illustrator versions (ex: illustrator at school)

Opening Illustrator files created last night on the newer version on my home computer won't load at school on an older version of Illustrator. The files are completely missing artwork. You can see all the components on the recently opened page, but when you open the file. The artwork doesn't load.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Deborah,
    We have bumped up the file format in AI 2020 so any file created in AI 2020 is not compatible in older versions. Please do a save as Illustrator CC version before sharing the file.
    The older release should also be warning users that the file was created in a new version and will have some data loss.

Best regards,
    Ashutosh

20. Option + Enter (on keypad) doesn't work anymore to produce a copy

OS x 10.14.6

Illustrator 23.0.6

When using dialogue boxes for scale, rotate move etc, after inputting numbers i used to be able to hit option + enter (next to the keypad) and it would create a copy of whatever I element i was scaling, rotating, moving. This doesn't work anymore. nothing happens. I have to hit option + return for this to work. It used to work a few versions ago. Can you please change it back. it's super annoying inputting numbers on the keypad and not being able to hit the enter key next to the keypad to create…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base