What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

Rotation Handle Tolerance overrides scale and selection functionality while using Wacom.

Hiya. I have an issue with the Selection tool and the rotation handle functionality overriding both scale and shift+selection of other objects while using a Wacom.

Essentially, the rotation functionality tolerance seems to be 2-3 times higher than when using a mouse, which means that I have to zoom in far in order to either scale or select a nearby object.

This behaviour has been in every version of Illustrator since the original Illustrator CC - which behaved flawlessly.

I've also had it occur on 2 different computers with 2 different Wacom devices (Intuous 5 and Cintiq 13HD) and multiple versions of the Mac operating system (Yosemite through to Sierra).

You can see a video of the behaviour attached below.

1. Version of Illustrator: CC2018 (but same occurs in 2017, 2015, 2014)
2. Steps taken: Using the selection tool I attempt to shift+select a nearby object or scale the selected object.
3. Expected Result: Shift-selecting the nearby object or scaling the selected object.
4. Actual Result: The current object goes into rotate mode.

Thanks!
Chris

133 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Phillips shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

78 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Florian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ashutosh, it's not fixed. The selection tool behavior in Illustrator feels pretty flawed in general (you should have a coffee with the guys from Indesign maybe;) :

- At different zoom levels certain tools are simply overriding others (e.g. rotate vs scaling) This happens with different tools at different zoom levels.

- Inconsistent behavior: E.g. the handle on the left side of a square might favor the scaling tool while the one on the right side favors the rotation tool. Sometimes deselecting and re-selecting an object changes behavior of the same handle.

- Different behavior between mouse vs Wacom (as stated by Chris above)

Best,
    Florian

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After upgrading to 23.01 the problem persist (object rotates when I want to scale)

• Rombout Versluijs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so annoying, we need keep zooming in out all the time jsut do very basic adjustments. Its horrible!!!

• Chris Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm posting back here to report that this issue persists in Illustrator CC2019 (v23.0)
    Other users that I have asked have also reported that the problem persists on their end too.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, this is still an issue in RC3 :(

Fancy new features don't mean much when the basics are broken.

• Andrea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does this work for anyone? This beta build doesn't seem to resolves the issue for me. (23.0.0 on Mac Sierra)

• L Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i am using a surface book pro and I have the same issue. it just started happening recently and its highly frustrating.

I don't think it's an issue with Wacom because I'm using a different brand tablet (Huion) and I have the exact same issue. It's very frustrating!

• Chuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My wife and I (both Illustrator and Wacom users) are having the same problem. Hoping this is resolved in the latest version of AI.
    I bought a Wacom Intuos Pro a few months ago, and I am very unhappy with the performance of it. Even less happy with the customer support. If this is a Wacom issue, they have lost me as a brand-loyal customer.

Comrades, are we barking at the wrong tree? Do you know if there's similar thread on the Wacom site?

• Nate Braxton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still a problem for me and causing daily frustrations with Illustrator. For the time being, I just zoom really close to a shape...

• Delia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. This is a horrible problem for me. I actually cannot complete my work in my regular estimated time because of this.

may 10 2018 - still an issue.... Very annoying - please fix this - I agree withe the user, that wants focus on bugs like this, rather than on new features, that does not necessarily save time.... This bug is actually stealing time, and there is no workaround that will avoid this...

Feedback and Knowledge Base