Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

3 results found

1. Unite on Pathfinder leaves mess of little vectors

This is something that happens to me frequently when creating underbases for screen printing. I'll make a copy of my top colors and unite them to create my base, and there's a mess of little vectors left behind that have to be cleaned up before I can trap the base. There's no gaps in the art so these vectors should not be there and this is a big lag on my production time.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the comment, you can adjust the Pathfinder precision in Pathfinder Options dialog, accessible from the Pathfinder’s panel flyout menu. The higher the value, the less accurate the result is going to be. Lesser values gives more precision, but it can lead to many 'residuals'. The default value is 0.028 pt, but you might try something like 0.01 pt and see if it works better.

2. Pathfinder & Shape Builder: glitch when joining curvy shapes

I'm trying to join two round shapes and I'm always getting unexpected shape glitches in the result path. I tried making this new shape using pathfinder and shape builder, but the results are the same.

Sending before/after screenshots attached in outline view.

Version 28.1 (2024)

Please help!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is regulated by the size of the art processes and the precision value (measured in absolute values) one can edit in Pathfinder Options.

Although vector paths stay continuous no matter how deep you zoom in, they are still stored on a canvas with rather finite coordinates, and all calculations are still very finite.

3. Pathfinder Merge actually Dividing, leaving cut out objects behind

This might be easier to read on the forums where the images are inline with the explanation, but I copy pasted everything here anyway. Here's the thread.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2601397

This has been a thorn in my side for so long I can no longer ignore it. I don't know when it happened but at some point Illustrator's Merge tool started dividing objects instead of merging them, and leaves behind cut up versions of objects that are behind the visible objects.

MacBook Pro 15 2017
    macOS Mojave Version 10.14.2
    2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
    16GB memory
    using Illustrator CC 2019 version 23.0.2

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The objects had the Overprint attribute checked in Attributes panel. With this option on Illustrator leaves fragments unmerged to match the assumed intention behind having Overprint one. This is a normal expected behaviour, but not a transparent one.

If you have this problem, don’t hesitate to leave the comment to force the team to rethink the UX behind this.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base