Object repeat: whole objects only
When I use object repeat, I want the option for the boundary box to hold only full objects.
The attached image is a repeat of the two top left most circles. I want to create a pattern of these, but only have full circles.
To create the image with full circles only, I needed to create two entire rows of circles and to repeat them.
-
How to use Transform effect — there a several good tutorials on YouTube.
Start with these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de-EJinqtm4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqugk3TeHTw -
Repeat functions got adopted from Illustrator on iPad, in a rush, to maintain parity. Since the release, these got little attention — the bandwidth is quite narrow and so far these aren’t prioritized. UserVoice and the vote count contribute a lot to what gets picked, so please browse the place.
-
Carol F Metzger
commented
Egor: Can you explain how you use these Transforms? I copied and pasted and aligned to get what I wanted. But the Repeat Grid function is useless. Is Adobe aware of this?
-
Nah, Carol. Grid Repeat doesn’t allow to set the rows or columns other than by resizing the container, nor it allows to make it use whole objects only.
I’ve merged your request into an older one.
As a workaround (I use it myself) I can offer to use 2 Transform effects applied: one sets the number of copies for the columns, another makes it stacked in rows. Using the Appearance panel makes it easier to control these later (ditch the Properties, it know very little about appearances...) Would it work for you? -
Carol F Metzger
commented
I cannot set the correct number of repeats and the orientation is strange.
I want three down and two across.
The count and Preview are only visible on the Radial page of the palette.
Shouldn't there be a place to set number of objects across and number down?
Attaching screen shots and single object .ai file. -
Philipp Jordan
commented
All the repeats, grid, mirror, and radial do not work well for me. It lacks the option to snap the width and/or height to the last item in the row and/or column.
I want to place 20 x 24 items in a grid. This grid should be placed in the center of another item.... This just does not work, due to the fact that you can't set the width precisely to the last item.
Also the smart guides detect only the grid item but not the items within.So far the repeat functions does not make sense for me.