Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Align to artboard when only when item/group of items is selected.

Have aligning be dynamic depending on what is selected. If one item or group of items is selected auto select align to artboard rather than the last selected option.

If multiple items are selected but not group it would auto select align to selection.

This would reduce time having to check what you are aligning to since 99% of the time when you are trying to align a group it is to the artboard and the same with selecting multiple objects. It is a hassle having to constantly be checking and changing my align options.

73 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

20 comments  ·  Align  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Full Alignment Center Option

Instead of having two tools (Horizontal and Vertical Align Center), can we get a tool that does both in one called something like Fully Align Center. I've included an image of what the tool might look like.

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Align  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Is there an option to set single keys and function keys as hotkeys?

Is there an option to set single keys and function keys as hotkeys?

I'm used to another vector drawing program in conjunction with Illustrator and that program has some very easy to use hotkeys that are essential for shape alignments, like C for horizontal centering, E for vertical centering, B for bottom of a shape and T for top, etc. On Illustrator I can't set a single keyboard key as a hotkey for the alignment functions without the use of Ctrl or Shift before the key. That's just a no go for me.

And since I use F5 as a…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Align  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Align to bleed

Have an align to bleed option, anything going to print generally has a 3mm bleed and it would be handy to bet things to align to this instead of the edge of the artboard.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Align  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make Align and Distbute work for direct selected Paths

When subPaths of groups are selected, Align or Distribute works on the complete group, where we expect to work on the selection.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Align  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Align to object on ANOTHER artboard! yeah yeah!

Aligning to an object on another arboard would be really great + needed, for AI users.

In addition to functions like, align to key object and select/edit similar shapes,
    It would be so so great to be abled to align an object, to another object, on another artboard!

In short:
    Aligning objects to the position of other objects on other artboards.
    Without having to move objects to the same artboard 1st, or copy their x/y values, just for alignment.

Some thoughts/notes:

Implementation,
    With artboard rules activated, of course. This seems to be a similar function to the ones that exist:…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Align to Key Object Below (Bottommost layer)

Please add an option to the Align Panel to allow the user to change the default behaviour of "Align to Key Object".

Currently, the default Key Object is the topmost object. However, it's very rare that I don't want the complete opposite – ie. to align an object to its underlying container. If users were able to "Align to Key Object (Bottommost)", it would save an enormous amount of time and effort.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Align  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Align to artboard

In older versions I always had the option to set "align to artboard" and it didn't reset after deselecting objects. I want it ba and I want to be able to do that with a single object again, without having to select at least 2 to set that.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Align to Cap Height

It would be amazing if there were an option to Align to Cap Height similar to Align to Glyph Bounds released in the August 2020 update.

If you have separate bits of text that you are trying to align to the same object, the result can be jumbled depending on the types of letterforms you include. It would be nice to have the option for text to align the same no matter if you have ascenders, descenders, curved forms, etc.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Align  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Align to Artboard is set as default

Align to Artboard is automatically set to default, even after changing the toggle to Align to Selection.

It used to work that whichever you selected, that selection would remain. But now, it always switches back to Align to Artboard. Very frustrating.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. (Also for Indesign). Alignment groups

Please add feature to add an item to a group, but not have it factor into movement when Aligning.
    Ie I have an item/group of items, and a Trademark symbol. Suggested new feature would Add the Trademark symbol to the group, but when aligning this new group the Trademark feature is not factored into positioning.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Bring Back Align To as a USER CHOICE !!

No ONE solution fits for ALIGN TO function. How about going back to when USERS HAD CHOICES. The fancy dynamic feature sucks. I want control BACK to what is being align. I don't want that. tool to change how it works. Bring Back Align To as a USER CHOICE !!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Alignment of elements

Hi, I have an idea regarding accurate alignment of elements. If I post my idea on here, does that mean you can use my idea without me getting paid for it?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Align two points

The "Align" tool works on lines with 3 or more points. Sometimes, when working with two-point line segments, the end-points get vertically or horizontally out of line. Can you make the "Align" tool work on two-point lines, as well?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Align between guides option

The option to align between the two closest guides would help greatly when working on a multi-column document. Currently the only way to align to a single section of an artboard is to draw a box and align to that. Aligning to guides would streamline that quite a bit

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base