Reflect tool also reflects Art Brushes
When using the Reflect tool on a selection, it currently doesn't mirror the Art Brushes used within the artwork.
It would be a significant time saver (especially when an artboard contains lots of Art Brush strokes) if the Flip Across checkbox within the Stroke Options screen automatically switches/toggles when reflecting an artwork.
See attached screenshot for visual explanation.
-
Paul van der Maarel commented
Wow, solid tip, thanks!
Adding that approach to my toolbox. 👇
-
Yeah, the Reverse Direction flips the brushes along their paths, while you need to flip them across. While Variable Strokes have dedicated buttons for this (and they work in bulk fine), Art Brushes have nada... similar buttons DO exist, but for the brush itself, not per object. Creating a duplicate brush tip only to allow mirror copies is a workaround, but a meh one, right?
As for the hack — I can offer a slightly better one.
Instead of the bulky and pretty under-polished Mirror Repeat, use Effect > Distort & Transform > Transform effect — and check the Reflect X option. I use the effect so often, I have a dedicated hotkey for it (not for this specific reason, but others). You can always change it or remove in the Appearance panel. -
Paul van der Maarel commented
The other post is indeed the same problem as the one I brought up in this one.
I have tried your suggestion of Reversing the Path Direction. Attached screenshot shows the result, which also doesn't solve it unfortunately. Thank you in any case, Egor!
One slightly hacky workaround I found in the meantime is:
- Group the elements you want to Reflect
- Object > Repeat > Mirror
- Move the group a slight distance away from the mirror line, then leave Isolation Mode
- Mask the mirrored imageA few potential downsides with this approach:
- Making changes requires you to go back to the unmirrored artwork - making it a very indirect workflow.
- Mirror effect can be quite heavy with large detailed artworks. -
Paul, it seems like a very similar problem:
Reflect does not account for Variable Stroke
https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447/suggestions/42011695Does using Object > Path > Reverse Path Direction help?