Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Beta Bugs

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

1 result found

1. Can’t create RGB color swatches

I work with RGB docs, but I can’r create RGB swatches. When I try to create a new swatch in the Swatch Panel, I can select RGB or HSB mode to specify the color, but the new swatch is saved with a CMYK approximation.

I avoid CMYK like the plague. It’s been around for over a century, and it’s flat and dull compared to RGB with up to 12 ink colors delivered by modern printers..

Please enable Illustrator to create RGB swatches, as well as better RGB support in General.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

A new swatch can be created just fine with the RGB color values used, when RGB color mode is used: File > Document Color Mode > RGB.

Illustrator allows only one color mode per document. 

If you try to create an RGB swatch (global or not) in a CMYK document, Ai will use the converted CMYK values for it.

On the other hand, if you make this swatch a spot color, then the values you define in a swatch will be treated as primary ones, and Ai will recalculate rendered CMYK color based on your spot RGB color.

If it does not work like this for you — please comment back and provide exact steps and screenshots to reproduce it.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base