More advanced 'Add Anchor Points' function
'Add Anchor Points' is quite archaic at the moment. My requests:
1. Allow to apply to selected parts of paths, instead of the complete path.
2. Add a dialog to set the number of subdivisions / points added per segment.
3. Allow to assign it to a keyboard shortcut
4. When adding to a curved segment, the new anchor points should be smooth, not broken.
So far we can use a paid PathScribe plugin from AstuteGraphics bundle, which allows to do all of these and even more: choose between equal or bezier spacing and set a distance between points rather than a number.
Jan Vork commented
1. When adding to a curved segment, the new anchor points should be smooth, not broken.
2. Add a function to define the number of points added per segment.
3. Let the function work on a selected segment (it now always picks the complete path, adding points to all segments).
Totally agree. I have made an illustration of how it could work. It would a little bit similar to the blend tool.
Today, the "Add Anchor Points" function only gives us the option to add one new anchor point between two already existing ones, which is not so very useful in some cases. For example, if you would like to make a circular process bar, you cant get 100 paths by using the existing tool.
The new function would also potentially remove the already existing anchor points and replace these with a curve between two new anchor points.
However, I do think it will be necessary to have an option that the user should be able to keep anchor points with a sharp angle since the shape of the object will change otherwise.