As introduced in Photoshop the Warp option for Cylinder should be in illustrator
It will be much easier to use the warp on a cylinder in vector art, it was introduced in Photoshop. If I’m working on a design in Adobe illustrator and want to warp some text or a label on a bottle
why not stay in vector art, instead of using photoshop?
There is a way to do the same exact distortion in Illustrator, using a free MeshTormentor plugin (please see the full instruction in the comments).
However, an easier native way to do it is still welcome (as the general improvements over mesh distortion capabilities) — so please keep voting for this if you want it to happen.
This can be achieved in Illustrator using a free MeshTormentor plugin: http://meshtormentor.com
It’s the best way we users have so far to deal with meshes and distortions.
Here’s how you can do it.
Take a look as the image and the document attached.
1. Install the plugin and restart Illustrator
2. Draw a couple of circles to define your label’s edges
3. Delete invisible segment and join both edges into a single path, keep it selected
5. Open the MeshTormentor panel and click the 'Create one cell mesh' button (a black contour one, third row an third column from the top left corner). In this case it locates 4 points it needs just fine. In other complex cases you might nee to select 4 points you want to make into corners of your mesh manually.
You’ve got a mesh for the envelope!
6. Put the label art under the mesh, select both and run standard Object > Envelope Distort > Make with Top Object command.
7. Sometimes it gets distorted from with an angle you don’t expect — it depends on the direction and the starting node of the mesh. It’s easy to fix — click the 'Rotate or reflect grid direction' button (with a large blue circular arrow, the second one in the bottom row) — in this case once.
Done, you have your label.
The plugin is very powerful and allow to do much more than any distortion in Photoshop. It has integrated hints, an online manual, and makes wonders when you master it. Again, it’s free.
Please comment back and ask question about this technique.