Feedback on new Recolor artwork (in Beta now)
New redesigned Recolor artwork is available in Beta now.
We heard from many of you that the current Recolor is confusing and difficult to use. This new Recolor has a completely redesigned experience with an added ability to recolor your art based on your referenced images & artwork. We have broken the Recolor into two sections. When you invoke Recolor, you would see an on canvas dialogue that allows you to quickly Recolor your artwork with all the basic controls. For advanced settings, you can click on more options (...).
We would love to hear your candid feedback. Please provide your feedback on this thread. This will be actively monitored by the Illustrator team. If you don't have access to Beta please drop a note to me at: kotwal at Adobe dot com.
1. The number of colors in the Recolor Palette doesn’t get updated on Mac.
2. Document get scrolled when dragging the color palette’s distribution slider to the left
3. A flicker of the color text box when dragging the Palette on Windows
4. Colour Wheel’s UI doesn’t get updated on changing Illustrator’s UI theme
5. Grabber on HUD is not clearly visible in dark theme
6. Performance lag while applying to recolour to Complex Artworks
7. Swatches group cannot be added from Library to swatch panel while HUD is active
Color distribution Palette at the bottom flickers when changes are made via slider — intermittent
8. Recolor Palette getting dismissed on changing color numbers to 1 -> All , Theme from None -> something else -> None
9. The linked file that was not loaded when used as source Artwork causes a crash
10. Assert on clicking on recolor button when the dialog is still active (or click twice)
11. Annotation remains on screen after the dismissal of dialog — rare (happens when hover theme picker cursor over a vector art and suddenly move to palette before the annotations disappear)
12. Asserts on applying to recolor to brush Art
Lukas Engqvist commented
I find it strange that there is no "OK" button on the simplified view. I like the addition that you can weight colours, it stumps me and I don't know how you recommend that the dialog shold be exited. It seem to work OK, and I am glad the legacy dialog is there and that I can coohse the legacy setting as the default.
The similarity to the Colour Theme panel is also a little confusing.
Would be nice to have some way to wight colours even in the advanced dialog, but I guess that is when I drag swatches to a row, and that's fine.
11. Gradients are ignored when you pick a color theme with a picker. Color apply only to flat fills. Instead of several colors in the bottom bar (may be I want to recolor my whites to a bright pink and my black to a dark blue) I get one grayish strip I have no use of.
10. I don't see a quick way to save the picked color theme to a Theme preset I can use later. Even when I expand it to the modal window, I don't understand how to save it :) My bad, I just barely like the main window, I use 20% of it because of the UI. Maybe it's just me (I should RTFM finally)
9. Color Theme Picker is too much a big deal for displaying it like this, with no caption (the pseudo-panel itself lacks captions, not cool). By the way, same applies to Global Edit feature — very strong (but unfinished) tool and such a tiny button in Control panel (at least it's big enough in Properties)
8. There's no way to expand modal window back to floating pseudo-panel (god, please, make it just a normal panel, I hate it already for closing every time when I just want to pan the art!)
6. Color theme picker is nuts. So good.
7. You should display sliders under the color strip all the time, and leave white dividers like it's done now (only when mouse is hovered over the slider or an edge) otherwise users could miss the sliding feature.
5. Color updates only when I release the slider (while I have the Real-Time feature on!)
4. Ctrl+Z closes the pseudo panel. Ugh! No, this is wrong.
2. I can't see a caption that a need to drag. Grip lines are almost invisible.
3. The fact it vanishes right after you tried to add something to the selection is bad. It looks almost like a panel, but it's something else, and I can't see any reason behind it. Just make it a panel. Let it be active as long as I need it. Just copy the Pattern Options behaviour, which looks like a panel, allows to modify anything behind it, and vanishes when you click 'Done'. Don't invent a new thing when you have a chassis you can use for it!
1. It trails like this for me