Feedback on New Snap to Glyph(s) Functionality (in Beta now)
New Glyph snapping feature is available in Beta now.
Snap to glyph(s) allows quick and precise alignment around contours of live text without the need of creating outlines or reference guides. You will see smart snapping guides for words and a line by default. You can also enable a single glyph mode by right-clicking on the targeted glyph.
We have tried to provide as many important smart guides as possible without cluttering the workspace. We would love to hear your candid feedback. Please provide your feedback on this thread. This will be actively monitored by the Illustrator team. If you don't have access to Beta please drop a note to me at: kotwal at Adobe dot com.
This feature has been released in 24.3. Please update to the latest version to use this feature. We would love to hear your feedback.
This feature has been released in 24.3, which is out now. Please update to the latest version to use this feature. We would love to hear your feedback.
14 again (about a point at x-hight).
Now it snaps all right! ...except for the 'align 0' lies
28 again. I can’t attach the GIF for it, so there’s a link to the direct link to the image:
30. I was not able to make angular guides work, until I force a single glyph snapping. After it’s released, there are no angular guides again. Another GIF shows me trying to build a specific continuation, bu Ai highlights the center of already created path and won’t draw an intersection I need. So finally I create a next point almost randomly and then move it in place — not great.
29. Ai won’t draw an intersection of angular guide and glyphbound guide :(
28. Well, angular kind of works... But I have a lot of issues with prioritizing. Ai tends to ignore it almost fully, preferring a point that is very far away from the focus point... My tolerance is 3px only (and it’s still broke, as you may know), and Snap to Point is off.
You see me trying to start a path and continue it as a continuation of the glyph’s diagonal, but fail, until I zoom in enough. Still, I fail :)
Yes, I have construction and transform options enabled for smart guides. Disabling them does not solve this.
17 again. Ah, right, Smart guides should be on! Hm. Then problem 24 again. So you can’t change option for glyph snapping, but highlighting anchors still makes it snap, even when glyph snapping is off :(
Still you should create a switch right in the Type panel to enable the snapping without going to View.... I know about global-snap-place (can’t wait), but it won’t solve this completely too.
27. When a proximity guide is drawn, please place small 'x' sign not at the edge of the bounds, but at a point this guide is based on. Like if it’s build on an overshoot of an 'o' glyph, place the x-mark on this particular overshoot’s tangent point. If there are many points contributing to the guide, mark the closest one.
26. Not aligned to zero, Ai lies, you can clearly see the guide is tilted. It also happens in similar cases when no text involved (the second image).
25. For some reason smart guides that are based on glyph point are not green, but magenta. I assume it’s a bug, actually. It would be some much more useful if these stay green all the time, when at least one thing participating in glyph related. And it would be so much better, if Ai could draw green and magenta simultaneously: glyph based guide in green and normal in magenta, intersecting, for example.
24. Highlight Anchor option (Prefs: Selection & Anchor Display) also works for text, when Snap to Glyph option is on, but all other snaps (smart and to point) are off. This relates to a bug (rather an issue) when you don’t want Ai to snap to point, but because of this highlight option you still have it! I emailed about this and demoed it to Varun.
I’m worried it might cause problems.
Also, the 'edge' of green highlighted anchor is 2px wide, while normal is only 1. Not a bug, just an observation. I kind of love it! :)
23. Play button in 'how to' blank document is not locked :)
22. See the image.
Also 'Feedback' button doesn’t work.
And if you have a new document about snapping to glyph, the Learn will open another one if I run 'See how again'. Also, the document name is blank and I’m not sure it would not be confusing.
Aviansh, 24.4 RC3, with 'fixed' error messages. It runs :)
17. I see new icons there, good. They look better than those you screenshoted. But they are all grayed out, while the option in View is on! Turning is on and off doesn’t help.
18. (i) icon in the panel leads to https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/snap-to-glyph.html and gives 404.
19. Icons need more differences (btw I love height options icons for the same reason): two of them say 'Ax'. If you change the first (not second) one to, say, 'Az', it would be easier to locate 'x-height'. I think that 'Ab' could be even better ('baseline').
20. I like the 'proximity' word, good! The icon though, doesn’t provide enough info. There’s no guide at A's top, or guides near overshoots (of course, they would be too similar to baseline and x-height there at this scale).
21. New Learn is cool. Slide 3 though can make you think that this relates to angular case, while it’s not.
Hi Egor, thanks for all the feedback. keep it coming.
#13: I tried and was able to snap to an anchor point on X height. Can you please create a gif/video to show how it's behaving on your build.
#15: New icons couldn't make it to the Beta. I am attaching it here for your reference.
#16: I saw your email. That seems to be a bug. Can you please try angular glyph snapping with text and let us know.
16. Angular guides does not work. Great idea! If it would work better then Smart Guides work now — it would be massive.
See, I can move the point on a live extension (unless the adjacent points have no handles — I emailed about this at sharewithai), but if I try to place a new point on the extension, Ai would give me nothing. ...and I'm not sure that you can do it with angular guides for glyphs, because the result I saw in the PR feature demo had not angles matched.
It also won’t help if I hover the pen over the bottom point to make rubber band 'notice' it (sometimes it helps for other cases). I know that snapping requires big rework, but now angular guides does show nothing for me, even captions I saw in demo.
15. Beta got updated. No new icons yet. Hover hints doesn’t provide info for all the options.
14. When dragging a multi-line text along the vertical axis, its baselines and x-height lines are shown (which is great), but only the current one and not all others, which would help to choose the line to snap to.
13. Ai won’t snap to the glyph point located exactly on the 'x-height' line, when corresponding options are on
12. In 188.8.131.52 Ai still display green guides and performs snapping to glyphs when the option is turned off