Allow to combine/merge selected text and path to Type on Path
In Ai on iPad we can select a text, hold a spot, and drag the text to a path, converting these to Type on Path. Easy!
To perform this in Ai for Desktop we have to cut the text, pick the proper tool, hold Alt (or use a subtool), click on path (very precisely), paste the text and then adjust the position (dragging tiny handles). Dated.
What we definitely need:
1. Ability to drag and drop a text on a path, using some modifier (Ctrl will do) to stick the text to the path
2. Have a command in Type > Type on Path, Convert to Type on Path
3. Have a command there also to Release Type on Path!
There are also two related requests:
1. https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/41707711-paste-symbols-along-a-path — Paste symbols along the path, which allows to use a buffer to quickly paste on a path
2. https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/32189596-convert-to-type-on-a-path — Convert to Type on Path, that adds a generic arc to a text
Vote for these too, please
Rob Hutchings commented
Also need a way to convert type on a path text back to regular point text. And while this is being looked at we definitely deserve that long requested ability to use multiple lines of text along a single path!
Using Control can be impossible if you use Ctrl already to temporarily switch to a selection tool... Well, we have only that much modifier keys :) I’d rather prefer it work for selection tools only than not having the feature at all.
Thanks to Justin Roy for raising this up