Allow to combine/merge selected text and path to Type on Path
In Ai on iPad we can select a text, hold a spot, and drag the text to a path, converting these to Type on Path. Easy!
To perform this in Ai for Desktop we have to cut the text, pick the proper tool, hold Alt (or use a subtool), click on path (very precisely), paste the text and then adjust the position (dragging tiny handles). Dated.
What we definitely need:
1. Ability to drag and drop a text on a path, using some modifier (Ctrl will do) to stick the text to the path
2. Have a command in Type > Type on Path, Convert to Type on Path
3. Have a command there also to Release Type on Path!
There are also two related requests:
1. https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/41707711-paste-symbols-along-a-path — Paste symbols along the path, which allows to use a buffer to quickly paste on a path
2. https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/32189596-convert-to-type-on-a-path — Convert to Type on Path, that adds a generic arc to a text
Vote for these too, please
There is a scripts for this, made by Nathaniel Vaughn Kelso:
Ozzie Krems commented
Why is it so complicated to attach type on a path in Illustrator?
A typical title in online tutorials is ”Attach text to a path in Illustrator in 9 easy steps” 9??
In Macromedia Freehand the text tool is so simple and effective for arched text at the top and bottom of an ellipse. Step 1 - click the type tool on the ellipse (it centers automatically) then type, hit enter
and the cursor goes to the bottom (it centers automatically) type the bottom text and you are done, simple as that. It literally takes 15 seconds to do top & bottom text as opposed to several minutes and 9 steps in Illustrator
We have struggled for years to keep copies of Freehand working, hoping one day that Adobe would incorporate
this feature. I am sure many, many people would welcome this feature.
Rob Hutchings commented
Also need a way to convert type on a path text back to regular point text. And while this is being looked at we definitely deserve that long requested ability to use multiple lines of text along a single path!
Using Control can be impossible if you use Ctrl already to temporarily switch to a selection tool... Well, we have only that much modifier keys :) I’d rather prefer it work for selection tools only than not having the feature at all.
Thanks to Justin Roy for raising this up