Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Automatically update legacy format when saving...

When working on an older version of illustrator - when you save, you get a notice about saving in a legacy format. I would like a preferences option to automatically save in the latest version when working on legacy files. Right now I have to use save as.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 画板序号

你好,画板顺序22号会重复。

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add old versions export settings (cs6)

Please add supporting of old versions export (cs6 version)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Image export both type and art optimized

For exporting web banners, my routine is to export one image art optimized and one image type optimized, aftwerwards stack them in Photoshop and unmask the type optimized version where text is visible.

I would appreciate an option of "art and type" that automatically interprets the type as type and the images as images so that I can skip the whole process after the export.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Export EPS with latex

The open source Inkscape has the feature where you could edit any text as latex in the EPS-file after exporting it. This makes all scientists and other users of latex mega-happy. This is the easiest way to format the text to fit the latex document, and to add nice math writings to the figure in the blink of an eye, instead of the tedious work of writing the correct font and special math symbols in Illustrator.

Could Ai please add the feature of generating something similar to what is documented here: http://tug.ctan.org/info/svg-inkscape/InkscapePDFLaTeX.pdf ?

I believe this is easy and quickly…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. When exporting can we have a use art boards option

When exporting can we have a use art boards option

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make a save as .pes feature?

Compatible with embroidery sewing machines.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make the Templates folder write enabled

Can't save Template, due to permissions of the folder.
    Please make that work by default (MacOS Catalina).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Prevent astronomic file size when using multiple copies of the same embeded image

Allow copies of the same embeded image to have one source and not just copy when duplicating these images. Copy only when a change is made to a copy of the embeded image. I like to make multiple versions of some artwork that may contain a raster image embeded and when i copy that artwork it makes another copy of that unchanged embeded image along with the copied vectors, causing a significant increase in file size when that raster image is still the same. I could use linking but file management gets harder with absolute links. Either use the same…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Please add automated color bar, separation color information - Print PDF output

Hi! I am missing a choice in PDF save or export. In the print industry is needed to add colour information for the customer, what colours is the artwork made from - esp. when we use solid colours. Customers need this for the approval process so we have to add this colour-bar manually. In the PDF (composite PDF) window there are Marks and Bleed choices, but there is missing a choice to choose a colour information automatically generated from the document colours - separations. The colour information can be graphical (squares with separation names) or text based (separation name in…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Version History - 2 requests

I sorta like the new version history option. It's at least kinda a step towards the history panel so many people want. There are a couple of features that I think would improve it. (If these already exist and I'm missing them can you teach me where they are?)

My first request is adding an option to save a version at anytime you choose. Currently it only saves every 5 minutes. Say I make a bunch of changes in only 3 minutes. I'd then have to wait another 2 minutes for it to create a save point before I could…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Right align Export destination folder path text on Export for Screens window

My suggestion is to have the 'folder path' text be right aligned in the text box, to have the export destination be more accessible, instead of the root folders.

Currently, I have to click into the folder path text box, then click + drag to see where my file will export to. This is cumbersome and unnecessary.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Variable Data, Batch Save and Export should be able to grab filenames from CSV.

When exporting variable data with a batch save/export command, instead of being limited to File + Number, File + Data Set Name, Data Set Name, there should be an option to grab from a variable within the data. If your variable is named '$Filename', then it recognizes that column as the filename.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Place all pages of a PDF or AI file as links - same as InDesign

Working at a design studio, we create digital proofs that are set up on a template so our proof pages all look streamlined. We use one working file (.AI) and place that file as linked images into a separate proof file (.AI).

Currently you can only place one page of the AI or PDF file at a time. This can be really tedious when there are a dozen or more images we want to place. We like to maintain the link so that we don't need to export files to relink to the proof file every time we want a…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow layers with "print" unchecked to also not render in "output for screens".

Basically, just like the title says. When the "Print" box in a layer's properties is unchecked, that layer will not be printed (or, when exporting, it won't be used in the export).

I'd like this behavior to be continued in export for screens. That way, you can set up layers for overlays and guides but not have to manually hide them before export.

F/E, here's an overlay on a FB mobile sized coverpage; I'd like the blue box etc (on their own non-print layer called "overlays") to be gone on export so that when I export, all that the resulting…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. File Sharing Notifications

My client and I are making edits to the same file that is being saved/stored in Creative Cloud. We currently notify each other by email or text when we are making edits. Is there any way a feature can be added to post a notification on screen/within the app that the other person is currently editing the file when the other individual logs in or opens the file in order to avoid overwriting each others edits?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I need to open all previous Freehand file versions in Illustrator

Most of us have Freehand files we cannot access and the need is a great one as I'm quite sure you know. Ai should be able to open all versions of the files.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add a "Ctrl +E" to illustrator for quick export

InDesign has a "Ctrl+ E" for quick export instead of going down the menu bar and selecting it. Can illustrator put in a "Ctrl + E" for export. this is a annoyance since I'm exporting to jpg and tif formats all of the time from Illustrator for photoshop image adjustment

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Export directly to illustrator Desktop, like in the Draw-plugin.

I thought it would be a natural thing to include the export function to illustrator Desktop via Adobe Cloud,and it would be nice to import from the cloud too.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Export directly to illustrator Desktop, like in the Draw-plugin.

I thought it would be a natural thing to include the export function to illustrator Desktop via Adobe Cloud,and it would be nice to import from the cloud too.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base