1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

495 results found

1. Option to export to clipping mask boundaries

When exporting assets to raster formats, it would be a huge time saver if we had an option to use the boundaries of clipping masks as the edge of the exported artwork. I created three triangles and used a circle as a clipping mask in the attached image. You can see that the exported file has a lot of padding around the artwork because the outer edges of the triangles are used as the boundaries of the file.

If there was an additional option to use the clipping mask boundary as the edge of the exported raster file, it would…

510 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Everyone,

The fix has been rolled out and is available in our latest release build – 24.1.1 for Win and 24.1 for Mac which is available worldwide now.

What’s new in 24.1: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/whats-new.html

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback.

2. Import all pages at once from PDF file (that doesn't have illustrator embeded)

I'm working at prepress for 20 years.. and verrrry often i need to open PDF files to correct some mistakes on many pages.. (like add bleed, or move all elements away from edges...

it would be cool if illustrator would allow to open all pages at once for multipage PDF files..

Ok, i know that i can edit page by page... or i can open one page, than save as with different name AI file, than open all other pages and copy content to that first saved AI document... but thats not cool for 8 page brochure..

thank you

175 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

3. Save As PDF and PDF Export

Illustrator is long overdue for PDF export. Without PDF export saving a PDF from Illustrator is an arduous, multi-step process that must be repeated every time. There is also a dangerous trap in the process that can make the user’s file uneditable. Compare this to InDesign, which has PDF export and all changes are sticky.

Illustrator
    1. File > Save a copy,
    2. Change format to PDF,
    3. Remove “ copy” from filename,
    4. Change directory,
    5. Click Save,
    6. Enter PDF options,
    7. Click Save.

InDesign
    1. File > Export,
    2. Click Export.

Because all options in InDesign are…

165 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is no true PDF Export in Illustrator, because Illustrator allows to have editable PDFs with .ai-content stored within. Other apps does not allow that, and some users heavily rely on editable PDFs.

Attemps to solve this were made, but there is no clear solution so far. Still we hope to find one.

The intended way to get a PDF (without loosing your data) at the moment would be to use Save a Copy command that saves a separate copy of your file to PDF instead of Save As which keeps a saved file open.

4. 150 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This issue is probably happening because the artboard dimensions are not appropriate for raster export (i.e. are in decimals).
    If you make x and y values as the whole numbers in the transform panel (not in decimal), then the extra pixels will not be added to the exported image.

That is the workaround, and it’s reported that it’s not always the case.

At the same time — Ai knows the size of artboards to be exported and yet it does not deliver the set sizes, which is not fair. The team is going to rethink the algorithm.

5. Fully support the SVG standard

Illustrator can not read every SVG file. Some it doesn't read at all, some are imported only halfway or just completely messed up. There are issues with <use>, especially when used in herarchies. e.g. this file: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europaflagge#/media/File:Flag_of_Europe.svg There are issues with groups and masks and there are issues when units are missing e.g. from stroke widths. Also: SVG can have several attributes which Illustrator will delete when opening. Fully supporting the standard will enable people to have a workflow based on SVG files.

147 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Started  ·  Dirk Schulze responded

Just a general status update. We are currently and will continuously improve SVG import support in Adobe Illustrator. We are currently working on solving the issues mentioned in this report. Please feel free to open new bug reports here on uservoice if you are experiencing additional/untracked issues.

6. Set default PDF export preset

When saving as PDF the preset is always set to Illustrator standard and you have to manually use the drop down menu to choose the standard you need.

Most designers use always the same standard. I work for example in preprint and have to select X1a. It sucks to have to select this for every dingle file dozens of times a day.

Other designers struggle there as well and send us constantly PDFs that are not X1a because of this. They forget about the selection.

To ease up regular work flows it would be very handy to save this setting…

141 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Export for Screens, CMYK to RGB

When working in a CMYK Illustrator file, the Export for Screens function currently creates CMYK jpgs. Since it is for screens, it should convert to RGB. Or at least there should be an option to convert the color mode for the exported files.

In a package design project, the files are primarily for printing, but digital mockups are a secondary purpose. So it is necessary for the CMYK color mode to be converted to RGB. Export for Screens seems like it should inherently create RGB files.

137 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Change "Export For Screens" Save Path Default To File Folder

If I go to File > Export > Export For Screens the default save path points to the last folder I used. What we as users are expecting is the default path to be equal to the same folder as the Illustrator file is currently located in.

If you feel this should not be the default at least give us a way to change this in the AI Preferences. Thanks!

126 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. "Edit original with" option needed or ability to set a default program for Illustrator only

Clicking on "Edit original" for jpgs etc. within Illustrator opens the image in the OS default program for that file type (ie. Preview on Mac). I don't wish to change the system wide default as it isn't practical to open PS to view every jpg, but there is no option to "Edit original with…" as there is in InDesign within Illustrator. There is no work around within the program at all.
    IN short: ADD AN EDIT ORIGINAL WITH MENU OPTION or allow us to set a program only default!!

88 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Planned  ·  Neeraj Nandkeolyar responded

We are working towards giving preference to Photoshop for editing linked images, if Ps is installed. This may mean the label showing as ‘Edit on Photoshop’ when an linked image is selected. The change does not affect OS level file type associations.

10. import DXF Blocks

In fashion Industry, one of the most common exchange file format is DXF-AAMA/ASTM.
    If it is too complex to Illustrator to handle all the subtilities of this format, could it be possible at least to manage "Blocks" ?
    Blocks are DXF entities which can be assimilate as "Groups" or "Symbols"
    but in Ai Groups and Symbols may stay on a single layer.
    In DXF Blocks, you may have multiple entities on multiple layers, but you need to keep them as a single object.
    So I was wondering if Ai could generate for each Block a layer (with the name of…

71 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add Ai, EPS and TIF formats in Export for Screens / Assets dialog

I realize that .pdf is essentially the same as .eps format, but still it would be useful to have the option to export as .eps.

70 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Improve page selection when opening PDFs in Illustrator

Referring to the attached screenshot for opening PDFs in Illustrator:
    I find that I am constantly browsing through the preview pages using (B), and hitting 'Open' when I see the previewed page I want -- completely forgetting to actually enter the page number in the Range (C), and thereby opening Page 1, swearing, and starting again. Casual survey suggests this is a common issue for others in my studio as well.
    It would be great if changing the previewed page using B also updated the page number selected in C; or, if an additional radio button sitting with C and…

66 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Unembed multiple images all at once

Be able to select multiple linked images in links palette and unembed them simultaneously.

61 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

It is now possible to update several images at once in the latest Beta 28.1.0.100.

To do that, you can check the 'Unembed all selected images to this folder' option next to Unembed / Cancel buttons in the Unembed dialog.

Please try it and comment back if it works for you as expected (or not).

14. When exporting an image, using artboard, with a single artboard, don't change filename.

If save an image using "Export As" , and I select the "use artboards" (because I want the image to be of that size, and I only want to export one specific artboard of my file, It would be better if it didn't add to the file name (ie: the filename-01.png would be filename.png). This is because I find myself exporting each layer of the same artboard with a specific name (ex: characterarm.png, characterleg.png, etc) and I have to remove the "01"s manually.
    I understand that this feature is really useful when exporting all the artboards at the…

59 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Share for Review for Illustrator

Enable share for review with Illustrator. I can already see how this will help when working with clients for magazines in InDesign - so I can’t wait to see how I can use if with clients for Illustrator based projects.

ESPECIALLY as a professor - this will make it much easier to provide feedback for students during remote teaching and learning this fall with COVID.

LINK TO inDesign feature -
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-share-for-review-faq/m-p/11219483

58 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Export for Screens - Prefix artboard number

In Export for Screens dialog, include the ability to export the Artboard number in Prefix (or Suffix). A checkbox or variable string would do (eg $A). Currently we have to manually add the Artboard number into the Artboard name.

51 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. GET RID OF THE REVERT HOTKEY!

The hot key for Revert is WAY too similar to the hot key for Save As in Photoshop and I lost an entire day fo work saving after finishing a project. The fact that that can happen accidentally, even with the approval button is INFURIATING!

51 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Everyone,

We have started working on this request. This was only a Mac-related issue where the shortcut got changed. We are setting it back to F12. We are not removing this shortcut, because a lot if users do use this shortcut. If you want to remove it, or change it to even more obscure key, you can do it as per your liking by editing the shortcut.

Please refer this link to know how to customize keyboard shortcuts: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/customizing-keyboard-shortcuts.html#Definenewkeyboardshortcuts

Thanks,

Varun

18. Make Asset Export settings Per-Project not Global

It doesn't make sense to have global settings for Asset Export, as the exporting requirements vary between projects. Each project should have its own Asset Export settings so this doesn't have to be set up every time when exporting from different projects with different settings.

Changing back and forward is time consuming and error prone.

44 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Opening old Freehand files in Illustrator?

Can you guys bring this "feature" to Illustrator?

There are a lot of old Freehand users still having TONS of Freehand files (illustrations, assets, icons, etc.) in their archives waiting for the day when Illustrator will open old Freehand files so we can reuse them once more!

I know this is a lot to ask, but can you guys give it a try?

Ty!

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Open an InDesign file in Illustrator

Need to be able to open an Indesign file directly in AI. No reason to go to pdf and totally destroy the artwork. files are uneditable converting from Id to PDF to AI.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 24 25
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base