When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Simplify the clipping mask process

Could you simplify the clipping mask process making it as in Affinity Designer or invent your one please
    Thanks

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Clipping  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. shortcut keys for alignment

Please make clipping mask like Corel Draw's Powerclip.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Crop Image tool

With the Crop image tool, it would be nice if the initial crop bounds were to the exact size of the selected image. Right now when you select an image to crop, it creates a random selection, that requires more work than if the crop selected the outer bounds of the image instead of a small selection.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow drag and drop of cropped images like InDesign does

It will be great time saving if i can quickly replace an image just by dragging and dropping an image into a frame of a cropped image like i can do in InDesign. I too slow to have to look for the new link of the image open finder search thumbnails, etc. Could that be possible?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Advanced clipping mask (exclude mode)

It would be interesting to be able to use the clipping mask to also exclude a path from a shape. This would avoid using the pathfinder (exclusion) to keep the shapes to take back them.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Expand Clipping Group

Please let the Expand function work for Clipping Groups as well, to get rid of the Clipping Mask while keeping the intersected objects.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Clipping  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Feature to remove white background seamlessly

I think this should be a basic option, to remove white bg seamlessly. or any colored background. There are lot of basic apps that does that, why a sophisticated software like this doesnt have that option?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. The new behavior of art being clipped when it goes over the artboard bounding edge an option to turn on or off in preferences

The clipped art over an artboard edge should be an option to turn on and off. Some users do not want this behavior all the time and if it were a preference, the user can control when it should get clipped.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. It would be helpful if you made allowable suggestions, such as, " paint in clipping paths not allowed, convert to paint group now."<

If you're not going to make your paint feature natural or useful, then you could provide allowable suggestions. Suggestions such as, " Paint in clipping paths not allowed, convert to paint group now," then you would click yes or no to convert. Instead, you have created an information loop Where your customers have a problem, you acknowledge the problem, and send your customers on their way to find their own solutions to solve that problem. A problem you have created in the first place. This would be a very helpful feature for you to add.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow snapping to objects that are masked out and also make opacity mask objects visible in outline mode

For example, if you draw a large box and place it completely inside a small box so that all four corners of the larger box are masked out, then try to drag a guide it will only snap to the smaller clipping mask, the guides wont snap to the larger box unless you hide or release the clipping mask. Also, as an additional feature I think it would be of benefit if when inside the opacity mask, when you go to outline mode you could then see the objects within the mask.
    Supporting videos below
    https://youtu.be/mdtJwudauVY
    https://youtu.be/Z9qIvFQ9RBQ

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Clipping  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Transparency Masks should appear in layers panel like Clipping Masks

I like how Clipping Masks show up in the Layers panel as a "<Clip Group>", which you can expand to see the object being used as the mask and the object being masked. However, Transparency Masks do not show up at all in the Layers panel; you have to remember to open up the Transparency panel to see and interact with them. In a document with a mix of Clipping Masks and Transparency Masks, this is really confusing and makes the Transparency Masks easy to forget about. You should make the Transparency Mask show up in the Layers panel like…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Don't highlight paths in a clipping mask, outside of the clipped object.

Sometimes I get a file a huge complex path inside of a clipping mask. When I hover my mouse on the outside of the clipping mask this path gets highlighted.

Can we turn this off? I don't have any use for knowing what's hidden in a clipping mask, and this is incredibly frustrating.

Video attached for reference. Does anyone else have this problem?

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Clipping  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Copy/paste in new layer

Copy an object (cmd + c) then create a new layer and paste it in place in the new layer (copy in place in new layer)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Quick Command for Trim View

Quick Command for Trim View. I alternate a lot between normal view and trim view but have to stop to select trim view every time.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Clipping  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Ability to create Layer masks in Ai that can be used in Ae

I would like to have the ability to create masks in Illustrator that carry over to Ae. It would make the process much faster and more streamlines to build it all in illustrator before I transfer over to Ae for animation.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Don't remove smoke and fill for clipping paths.

Please allow paths to retain formatting when they are made into clipping paths. I see no reason, other than cruelty, to remove the stroke and fill of a path when it is made into a clipping path. If someone can rationalize a benefit for making me have to apply a stroke and fill all over again then at least make a preference for any masochists.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Please allow us to apply strokes to clip groups

Currently you cannot apply strokes to clip groups -- including using the "draw inside" function (see example 1). I would like to be able to apply strokes to clip groups. This might not seem like a big deal, but they also don't work when you apply a stroke to the entire layer appearance (see example two). This means I need to take multiple extra steps to outline something, which is very frustrating.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Cropping images! Can Illustrator finally offer a simple placed image cropping tool?

I've been using Adobe Illustrator since 1992. Many of the core tools have not changed a bit, including how the app crops placed images. It is a laborious task to add shapes and create clipping masks. InDesign and PowerPoint have this figured out and it is a breeze. Please address this long-standing shortcoming of an otherwise brilliant application.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Define a default placement option

Make it possible to define other placement options in preferences. So you can, for example, make complete documents with "File dimensions" as a preference

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Masks should be applied to single objects with a simple right click

Masks should be applied to single objects with a simple right click. It's so cumbersome (and quite frankly, very outdated principle) to have to create a white object, select two objects, then 'create mask'. No one does this anymore. (look at Sketch)

We should be able to simply right click on an object and set it as a mask. Then anything that is above that mask or in that mask's group layer, should be masked out.

Which brings me to another point, layers in illustrator are so bad. Why for the love, has the layer structure not been updated since…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base