Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests
When entering a new feature request, please provide:
- Description
- Why is this valuable to you?
823 results found
-
Contextual Eyedropper Tool
Currently, the Eyedropper Tool is an underutilized and often counter-intuitive tool that needlessly increases the complexity of a workflow because of its limitations. This- combined with Illustrator's poor color tools- often adds unnecessary time and effort to what should and could be more simplified tasks.
For example, a common situation is that I have a shape with a fill color that I like, and I want another shape that has a stroke to also use that color, except only for the stroke. Currently, if I use the eyedropper tool on the filled shape, it will completely remove the stroke and…
5 votesThe solution to that would be to activate a stroke if you want to apply a color to it, then to hold Shift when clicking a color — does not matter where this color is on a stroke or a fill. Illustrator then applies the picked color to the active fill/stroke, ignoring the source nature. There are two things to know — the cursor does not inform you about this mode (unlike the Alt-mode, should be addressed), and if you pick a color from a swatch — you’d get a screen representation of the color... harmless for RGB documents (if your color settings are in order), but crucial for CMYK documents (should be addressed too). Pleas comment back. -
Allow a transparency setting for Trim View
I love trim view! But can you add a setting to Prefs that allows you to set the transparency of the background so I can still see stuff outside of the trim. I often keep stuff outside of the artboard as reference, but now it is completely hidden and I have to keep turning off trim view to see it. I would love to set the trim transparency top somehting like 90% opacity so I can still trim the art view, but still see my other stuff outside of the art board. I also would like to see my bleeds.
…
5 votes -
Option to move the live measurement display to the other side of the cursor.
I'm right handed. When dragging out shapes, line segments, artboards, etc., the live measurement display is obscured by my hand. It would be great if there were an option to move it to the other side of the cursor so right handed people can see it. Another option would be to have it display somewhere on the control panel. Just somewhere where it could be easily seen.
5 votes -
Disable autocrop suggestions
The aggressive new autocrop suggestions in Illustrator 23.0 are a huge hassle. Every new crop I make I have to move the suggested crop lines back on 2-3 of the sides of my cropping image, or risk losing as much as 70% of the original image. Very much a waste of my time and a headache.
5 votesAs per the comment, disable the 'Enable Content Aware Defaults' in Preferences > General to turn crop suggestions off
-
Make Custom Views usable.
Make it possible to "overwrite" an existing Custom View instead of having to delete it to update a View with the same name.
Make it possible to rename more then one view at a time in the "Edit Views" dialog. Right multiple views can be deleted but only one view can be renamed because renaming only takes effect when "OK" button is pushed.
5 votes -
Paste with User Controlled Placement
Currently paste function tosses the pasted object to the center of the pasteboard.
This causes issues with selecting/locating the pasted object and it is an inefficient tool for productivity.
Like other design software the Paste function should provide the user with a controlled landing position by showing the full sized boundary of the incoming pasting object while it automatically follows the mouse.
This is feature is much more efficient to design than the current paradigm.
5 votes -
Allow to move panels between displays all at once easily
When using multiple displays, if I use Illustrator on one screen and move it to the other, my panels like Character, Paragraph, Layers etc. (small windows) don't move with the program to the next display. Even if the program is closed and opened they don't move to the correct screen that the program is now opened at. Please fix this. It's especially frustrating when using Ps, Ai, InD and all of the panels can’t be consolidated for their respected program at the click of a mouse.
5 votes -
Top Tab Ordering
Is there a way to order the tabs at the top when multiple files are open?
It is a real pain to reorder the tabs at the top, so that you can sequence through the pages in order of file name / date etc.
It seems silly to have the top tabs, but not be able to have them automatically order themselves...
(unless there is a way already)5 votes -
Match display sizes across CC apps already. Please.
- Open AI
- Create new A4 document
- Display @ 100%
- Open ID
- Create new A4 document
- Display @ 100%
- View AI and ID windows side by side
- Compare sizes.
FFS! Please make apps sync real 100% size rendering of documents already. It‘s fundamental for graphic professionals to be able to view documents in real size. Why is this still not fixed.
100% is 100% irrespective of display resolution. Come on, it‘s 2017. Nobody is working on 72 dpi anymore. We all have 5K retina displays.
Please try to keep up, Adobe.
5 votesAi now displays A4 as a proper 210×297mm (if Display Print Size at 100% Zoom option is set in Preferences) — you can check it with a ruler next to a screen.
This messes up 100% for Web-based documents, unfortunately, and this is yet have to be resolved.
InDesign, however, displays it a bit smaller… (this should be asked from InDesign developers).
Photoshop does it almost perfect when you choose View > Actual Size. -
"Replace" automatically selected
Everytime I place an image I have to check if "replace" is clicked. If I have a picture selected and then "place", it means I want to replace it. Please fix this, it's very annoying and have been there for ages.
5 votes -
Pinch to zoom for Illustrator while the free transform tool is active.
When I have something selected and I activate the Free transform tool, pinch to zoom no longer works, this is my primary method of navigation. This block forces me to go back to the selection tool and then zoom in and then return to the free transform tool then I had. I don't like that it's very inconvenient. I am on a laptop and have the latest version of Illustrator installed.
5 votes -
Make UI text size scalable
Allow for scaling of text in the UI, especially the Layers panel.
I have to strain to read the layer descriptions. Since I work a lot in After Effects I have to name all my layers. It would be easier to work if I could just glance over instead of working hard to read the little font sizes. I should note that I have a super high definition screen.Also, make thumbnail size in Layers panel to save between launches: http://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/33328054
4 votes -
Allow to reset the position of a single panel, not the full workspace
Reset Workspace for me is mostly used to get all the panels I torn out from docks to get back in their stables.
But sometimes it’s just one panel, and waiting for Ai to creak and choke just to get one panel back is an overkill.
And putting it back manually is not as simple as sounds — my memory remembers where it should BE, not where it should be PUT in!
So can we get a way to force one chosen panel to be reset? 'You — go home'! I’d use it rather often.4 votes -
【要望】文字組み更新機能が本当にいらない&邪魔です。
せめて無効に出来るとか設定追加してほしいです。
他デザイナーから受け取った最終データを書き出した際にハングル文字が混じった状態になっていました。
ウィンドウも毎回邪魔ですし余計な機能です。
せっかくレイアウトに合わせて文字組みした状態なのに勝手に変換されて崩れるのも困りますし、バグも多いし全然嬉しいと思った場面がないです。何か新しい取り組みの一環なのか知りませんが
このような機能を追加するなら有効/無効が選択できる状態で実装してください。
文字組みは自分でやります。4 votes -
Custom Keyboard Shortcuts dialog should highlight changes from defaults
This is such a little thing, but I would love to scroll through my list of keyboard shortcuts and see an indication next to ones I've changed to custom, that are different from the default.
4 votes -
One-Click Unit / Resolution Preset Switching (Print/Web)
As a designer working across both print and web media, I’d like to propose a feature that would greatly improve workflow efficiency in applications like Illustrator and Photoshop.
A one-click unit preset switcher that allows users to toggle between unit / ppi settings optimized for different use cases.
For example:
Print preset: mm, 300dpi
Web preset: px, 72dpiThis could be a simple toggle in the toolbar or a quick-access dropdown in the settings panel.
4 votes -
Knobs.
Just more knobs. There should be a knob next to every input that takes an angle value. The Scribble effect has one. The Gradient palette doesn't. The Transform palette has one but it could use another one along with a couple of text input boxes as an option to move an object a specified distance along a particular angle instead of moving it in X and Y. The angle value in the transform section of Properties doesn't have a knob. Scatter brush options have two horizontal sliders and no knobs. Put a knob next to each of those sliders.
Go…
4 votes -
Make the font selection panel less intrusive by making it editable and moveable
The font selection panel currently takes up a large portion of the center screen, making it difficult to see the font changes on a large scale. It would be nice if the panel could be editable and moveable, like other panels on Illustrator. Also, it could be positioned on the right side of the screen by default and made slightly transparent, to see through.
4 votes -
Panelize Blend Options, Offset Path, etc.
In pre-2020 Illustrator versions, the Path -> Simplify tool was a window. Post 2020, it got changed into a live panel which, when opened, doesn't halt the focus and lets you change settings while you move around the artboard with the Hand tool or Zoom in or such.
It is sadly the only "classic" Object tool that got this treatment. Other tools, especially Blend Options, Offset Path, Envelope Distort with Warp, etc. would benefit greatly from similar panelisation. It's not a great user experience that I can't zoom or pan while I'm trying to offset my path.4 votes -
Allow to set Scale Percentage and Resolution for Placed Images
We desperately need a way to tell the percentage scale of a placed image — or more specifcally, a set of placed images — in Illustrator. A perfect example of this is when you have a set of icons that are all designed at the same size relative to each other, with the same stroke widths. If you place 20 of them on the artboard, it's easy to accidentally have some slightly larger than others, and trying to normalize the scale is darned near impossible because there is ABSOLUTELY NO INDICATION ANYWHERE as to the scale that they're placed at.
4 votes
- Don't see your idea?