1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

52 results found

1. Hide contents outside of a clipping mask from the selection tool

Contents outside of a mask boundaries are still visible from the selection tool, so i's often tricky to select other objects behind. It would be great to have an option to just see the boundary of the mask with the selection tool.

55 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Flatten / expand clipping group, crop each object in it to the clipping path

It would be great to be able to convert a clipping mask into a crop.

49 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Clipping path in JPEG image file works in placement

A JPEG file can include clipping path. This clipping path works well when placed in InDesign. However, Illustrator ignores this clipping path.

If clipping path in JPEG works in placement, the user will be more creative.

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow selecting a clipping mask by its fill

Currently, I need to select clipping masks by their edge, which is tricky. I prefer selecting objects by their fill.

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Don't display clipped outside paths in Outline View option

Sometimes we have a large pieces of artwork clipped.
    Sometimes we don’t care what’s inside until we isolate these to edit the clipped art directly.
    Still, when we switch to Outline View, we see all the art that is clipped, clumped, overlapping, messy.
    For these cases it would be nice to have an option to not draw parts that are outside and beyond of clipping paths.
    Corel’s products does it a bit wrong — they don’t draw clipped parts in Outline at all, including parts that are inside. Ai should do it better.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Quick Command for Trim View

Quick Command for Trim View. I alternate a lot between normal view and trim view but have to stop to select trim view every time.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Please allow us to apply proper strokes to clip groups: centered, inside, outside

Currently you cannot apply strokes to clip groups -- including using the "draw inside" function (see example 1). I would like to be able to apply strokes to clip groups. This might not seem like a big deal, but they also don't work when you apply a stroke to the entire layer appearance (see example two). This means I need to take multiple extra steps to outline something, which is very frustrating.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Select Compound Shapes by visible parts only

When working with Compound Shapes, I don't' want to 'feel' the original paths which in many cases cover paths beneath.
    Make it work like a Clipping Mask.
    Maybe af preference to select only visible parts is a solution.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Created Intertwine zones are invisible both on canvas and in Layers and can’t be really edited and repositioned

When we try to edit an already created Intertwine object, we don’t edit it actually, it’s more like we create another one instead.

There is no way to fix a mistake rather than undo (if it’s an imminent one), or disassemble it completely (if it’s an old one), we can’t reposition zones, scale them, attach to the particular segment or point (like with the #ProjectMagenticType from 2022 MAX), we can't delete one or change the order of segments in an existing one.
    We can’t even see which zones do we already have, even when we create them still for the…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Lasso tool in Intertwine is not the actual Lasso tool and needs a separate cursor

This implies a user can use other tools to draw an intertwine zone, but switching tools just leads to ending the editing mode — which also does not get telegraphed well enough, https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/45845602-make-intertwine-edit-mode-telegraphed-better.

While the action this pseudo-tool performs is more or less the same, the difference is murky. Either change the cursor or make the mode more clear.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. A group can’t be turned into an Intertwine object

I suspect it’s because the team is going to improve Intertwines and make then operate on groups as elements, instead of single paths, but this does not mean a single selected group should be affected and block us from converting it to an intertwined art.

Live Paint allows to convert a group, no problem with that.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add Expand command for Intertwine objects

Unlike other special objects, like Live Paint-s, Envelopes, Blends, etc., Intertwine objects don’t have their own Expand command. It’s not very consistent.

We need this command to appear in the menu, the context menu, Properties, Control.

Repeats don’t have this one too, which is also strange: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/41138800-repeat-expand-appearance

We have to use the general Object > Expand: Object for this — but is has a dialog, which is not always nice.
    A specific Expand allows to choose the order of operations for a complex objects. Take blends, for example — if you apply 'expands' in a wrong order, you risk to…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Don't remove stroke and fill for clipping paths

Please allow paths to retain formatting when they are made into clipping paths. I see no reason, other than cruelty, to remove the stroke and fill of a path when it is made into a clipping path. If someone can rationalize a benefit for making me have to apply a stroke and fill all over again then at least make a preference for any masochists.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Intertwine needs a better way to display order operations rather than hiding them in a context menus

It’s not clear we can chose methods other than 'swap order' for cases when a freshly created intertwine zone has several possible solutions. Illustrator draws and edge around the current zone (quite poorly signaled, which is a different topic: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/45845602-make-intertwine-edit-mode-telegraphed-better), but then a single left-click just swaps and immediately ends editing the zone.

The fact we can click on the highlighted segment with a right mouse button and choose an order is not very obvious... because — let’s admit it — Illustrator can’t do context menus very well and we are not used to have anything really 'contextual' in…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Expanding Intertwine creates too many identical copies and doesn’t optimize them

If you expand an intertwine object (with the global Expand: Object command, since it does not have its own specific Expand), the one with a lot of zones, you get a ton of overlapped clipping containers with a reordered copies insides, one per each zone used.

While technically it’s OK, the amount of copies can be just absurd.
    Some copies are identical and differentiate only by the location of their clipping masks. Perhaps Ai should track these copies and clip then not with separate masks, but a single compound path mask, when possible?

The degradation is not so graceful with…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. We need custom made shapes to control Intertwines, drawn with other tools, like we can do with clipping masks

Intertwine, as I see it, is a control structure for dynamically generated clipping masks. The only way we can create zones to control these masks is to use pseudo-tools, activated with the specialized Edit command. This is fine for quick appliances, but is not so great when you need to make a precise work, with snapping, complex shapes and several iterations.

We got a Sax-a-Boom, but now we need a saxophone.

I would like to add any other shapes, created with any other tool Ai offers, as zones, to an existing or a new intertwine — like Live Paint allows.…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow to group a single Intertwine object

A way to workaround the bug with the self-expanding Intertwines on effect application (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447/suggestions/45845533) would be to group them and apply an effect to this 'protection container'...

But alas, Ai won’t allow that, and grouping an Intertwine object does nothing.
    I suspect Illustrator treats it as a group, onle a 'magic' one, and normal group restrictions, such as 'Thou shalt not group a single group' are applied to it.

Why then we can’t ungroup an Intertwine... anyway, this one should not be applied, even if you fix the self-expanding.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. A rectangular marquee in Intertwine edit mode can’t be repositioned with Spacebar held

When I draw a rectangle, I can hold Space bar to reposition it to a place I want. This would make defining zones in Intertwine Edit mode so much easier, but no, this is not possible — yet, I hope.

Also this is not possible when a new artboard is created which is also a miss: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/45845635-hold-space-to-reposition-an-artboard-while-creatin

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Expanding Compound Clip Mask into induvidul paths for production

I want to produce individual paths to a set artboard size for production after designing a compound clip mask. sample below. There are to many steps involved in individualizing these paths. First you need to group everything with in the clip path then save in place. Then release the clip mask path then the compound path. Next you need to copy a paste into each individual path.
    In Corel draw, after designing in the clip mask all you do is release that mask and it is automatically in each individual path after release.. Help me Ai best perform this task,…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Intertwine with Live Paint objects

It feels like a rare thing to do, but no — this is exactly what I needed recently, and it is forbidden, of course.
    I had to expand my Live Paint group :(

Please make sure all special plugin objects can work with each other.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base