Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. path eraser tool - erasing multiple path selection (worked in CS5, does not in CC)

I jumped from CS5 to the current CC version of illustrator. As a technical illustrator, I often need to erase portions of paths. The easiest method for accomplishing this task is to select all the paths I intend to erase portions of using the "path eraser tool" and simply go from path to path erasing what I need using the "path eraser tool". This function works properly in CS5 but at some point afterwards has been lost.

However, as soon as you erase a portion of the first path, all selected paths are unselected except for the current path being…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Use Key Object to allow precise control for in-back and in-front level changes

Allow Key Object to define which object is moved and which object is used to define movement. If I select two objects and then highlight one as a key object, it would be nice to use the same hotkeys for "send to back" and "send to front" and have it only work in relation to the two selected objects, putting the keyed object either directly in front of or behind in the layer order of the other object.

As it is now, the hotkeys either work too much by sending objects all they way to the back or front, or…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Anchor points in Illustrator Draw (mobile app)

The Mobile Adobe Illustrator Draw needs more vector functionality. It'd be great if anchor points could be created and edited within the app.

I'd also like to see like to see the functionality of the pencil tool in Illustrator, how one can re-trace over the line to edit the path.

If this functionality was available, I could use a tablet to replace my wacom.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Image trace to create smooth gradient fills instead of banded swatches

Image trace to create smooth gradient fills instead of banded swatches

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Toggle Radii in Ellipse Properties

When editing Ellipse Properties in the transform palette, it's be great to be able to turn off the radiuses in the ellipse, enabling a live shape which is an arc. At the moment you are limited to filled/joined sections.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Snap collisions

Is there any way you can implement the snap to collision feature like Astute plugin Colliderscribe?

Through this feature, you can snap tangents or edges of circles for geometric constructions.

I just upgraded my Ai from 2019 to 2021 after having my new M1 Macbook and I can’t use my Astute plugin Colliderscribe anymore unless you pay an annual subscription for their whole suite of tools which is unreasonable for me because I only use this particular tool and not the entire suite.

Corel Draw and Affinity have this feature so I’m thinking to make a switch instead of paying…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Swap Tool or Transform Option

I would like a tool or feature whereby I can select two objects, hit the tool or possible transform option and the objects swap their exact positions. This would save an incredible amount of time especially when updating an existing document. There used to be a script for this way back in the day but I think it's time to bring in this very effective feature.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Straighten/unrotate object

As far as I can tell, there's no way to re-straighten an object after rotating it. There's nothing retaining what the degree of rotation was. That would be really helpful.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Unify point tangent, angle\length\direction

Short rationales:
    Point Angle - I need a way to control the exact angle of point handles to unify them across a design. Currently the only way to control the angle is to constrain it to vertical, horizontal, or 45 degree angles.

Point Handle Length\Direction - If you grab a point handle and make it a different length or direction than the handle on the other side of a point, there is currently no way to re-unify them besides re-drawing the curve.
    There is also no also no way to scale handle length along the direction or angle you’ve already…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. More vector brushes

Have more brushes! (like a tapered brush), allow to add, export, and make custom brushes.
    Easily delete overlapping lines like in CSP.
    Include patterns like half tones for comics we can drag and drop inside shapes.
    Allow gradients and patterns to be applied to the stroke.
    We can choose which part of the stroke to change the width instead of all of it.
    Have an option to do an even width change or freehand.
    Be able to fill color within the visible strokes/lines instead of shapes.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. A new tool that copies exactly the color that's seen by the user on the screen through transparent objects

Currently, when I like a certain color that's formed through the combination of 2 or more transparent objects (or objects with blend modes applied), I can't copy that exact color. The eye-dropper tool simply copies the color from the topmost object. I often find myself taking a snap of the display and then paste that image within illustrator and copying the color I want from that image.

Request: I'd like a tool, similar to the eye-dropper, but instead, it picks the RESULTANT color(s) that is displayed through transparent objects or even objects with BLEND-MODES applied to them.

I've attached an…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Ellipse Tool Properties/Dialogue

Ellipse Tool, if make an ellipse then you have a little squire pointing to make ellipse’s End Angle and Pie Angle, but you do not have these feature available in its properties/Dialogue/Menu when you just select Ellipse Tool and you clip on the canvas or on Art Board you have no control features for that and you also do have the same features in Control Bar and Useless Properties Panel. I hope in the future version there must be added a dialogue for proper setting and measurements like retangle tool.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Gridify in Illustrator

I would really like to have the same feature as in InDesign, with which you can draw multiple shapes/lines/text frames simply clicking up/down and right/left arrows while creating them: it would be extremely useful when creating patterns of any type in Illustrator. See attached example of a "gridified" hexagons sequence in InDesign.
    Please add that!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. An option to ignore locked layers with the eyedropper tool

At the moment, if you have a locked layer above the layer you are working in, the eyedropper tool selects colors and properties of the top layer - the locked layer - instead of the (unlocked) layer you are working on.

This causes frustration as every time you want to eyedrops something, you have to make a bunch of layers invisible first.

If an option could be added to the eyedropper tool, such as "ignore locked layers", this problem would be gone completely and working with Illustrator would be a lot smoother and faster.

This could be an option under…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Enhanced Miter Join with Obelisk/Chisel options for shortening spikes スパイクを短縮するためのオベリスク/チゼルオプションによるマイター結合の強化

Instead of Miter Joins just defaulting to Bevel Joints when the Miter Limit is too low, Obelisk/Chisel options can give a whole range of symmetric/asymmetric shortening of spikes, for the whole path through the Stroke palette and/or as a more flexible feature like live Corners applicable to one/more/all joins.

Described and shown in the thread below where just a few possible shapes and uses are included.

マイターリミットが低すぎるときにマイターコーナーをデフォルトでベベルコーナーにする代わりに、オベリスク/チゼルオプションは、スパイクの対称/非対称短縮の全範囲を提供できます。ストロークパレットを通るパス全体に対して、および/またはより柔軟な機能として 1つ/複数/すべての結合に適用可能 ライブコーナーのように、

いくつかの可能な形状と使用法が含まれる以下のスレッドで説明および表示されます。

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/ai-2020-stroke-path-won-t-do-anything/td-p/10798159

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Join Separate paths

If you have lots of separate, exploded lines (say from DWG/DXF import, then you should be able to use an alternative of Ctrl+J to join them back together without them trying to join end to end.

That is to say, if paths are adjacent to each other they are joined. But the ends of non adjacent paths aren't then closed up as well. Really basic idea, but somehow overlooked.

Sure, it's easy to Ctrl+J a few disparate, exploded paths. But for 20+, 50+, it's a joke.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Move the "Merge Live Paint" button from the control panel to the Quick Actions section of the Properties panel

When you want to merge a new path with an existing live paint group and you select new shapes and the live paint group, the option to merge those shapes with the live paint group does not appear in the quick action section of the properties panel. I understand people may not want to do this but the new and more responsive context options that appear in quick actions are quite useful. I've steadily relied less and less on the control panel and now resort to the properties panel save this one function. Moving it down to quick actions when…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Tools to edit paths to make straight lines, sharp corners, and smooth curves for faster vector trace clean up

Attached are three tool examples I would like implemented into Illustrator to speed up the process of cleaning up vector paths. A lot of times when you do a vector trace the corners of text or objects will not have a sharp point or areas with straight lines will become jagged or distorted. To clean these areas up requires a lot of single clicks on points and anchor points to get the right result. Implementing these types of tools into illustrator will allow for these changes in as little as three clicks vastly speeding up the process. On top of…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Precision drawing tools

Precision tools for drawing (symmetry, coordinates for handles, precise control of curves, etc.).
    Currently, drawing a logo with precision is almost impossible.
    It would be useful to draw inspiration from CAD, Rhino3d, Astute Graphics plugins, font creation tools (another lack of Adobe), etc.
    Why do we have to buy other software to perform this task?
    This is a serious lack of Adobe.
    Or Adobe could develop another software (or an illustrator tool) with an interface dedicated to the geometric precision of the curves.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Include warp envelope anchors and handles in preference setting

When using the warp tool and envelope distort, the anchors and handles are too small and difficult to target. I think it would make sense to have these obey the same preference as the general anchors and handles.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base