When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Alt+click in Appearance hides all effects except clicked one

Sometimes I need to isolate one particular effect and work on it.
    I always try to alt+click it, like I do with layers in Photoshop, but fail, of course.
    Why not to add this in AI?

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Add numerical control over light sources in 3D Extrude & Bevel Effect Options

When applying and tweaking 3D Extrude & Bevel Effect, user has to manipulate light by precise mouse twitching over the small sphere.
    It should be at least twice as big to provide fine control (I won't note this as separate request), but there should also be numerical fields to control the lights' position over sphere — angle, elevation, choose any.

Also, why Depth and Height values there are immune to document Units settings? 56.96pt is nonsense to me, while 20mm makes sense.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add Reference Point to "Convert to Shape" effect

When using the convert to shape effect, it would be useful to be able to specify a reference point to the dialog, about which the effect can transform. For example, the current implementation distributes the effect from the centre across the height/width axes. A reference point would allow you to add extra dimension to the left/right/top/bottom (as required) and would be extremely useful in UI construction, among other things.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Square wave live effect.

Gears. Crenelations on castles. Zippers. These are a few things whose border can be described by a square wave. Or by a rectangular wave.

But you can't do this easily in Illustrator. Oh, you can add a dotted line to a shape - but that's an awkward workaround. How about a new live effect?

effect->distort & transform->crenelation would bring up a new live effect where you can apply square waves to whatever object you're affecting.

Suggested parameters:

• size - similar to the size parameter in roughen/zigzag, this would control how far the generated path deviates from the original path
    • pulse…
    10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 'Reverse Order' option for Transform Effect

When you set several copies in Transform effect, Illustrator makes them stack under original art, 'going backwards'. Sometimes it's better to have an opposite behaviour, with copies stacking up, 'towards' viewer.

Please add this checkbox near 'Copies" field.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Can't select and edit two effects from two separate fills in single appearance

I can't select two effects, applied to different fills in one appearance — AI restricts to select both of them. Therefore, if I have same effect applied to all of my object's fills, I have to edit EACH of them one by one, instead of just Ctrl+click all of them and edit at once.
    It means that if I want to change Drop shadow's parameters, scattered across different appearances, no graphic style won't help me. And I already mentioned in separate enquiry that Drop shadow and other color-based effects ignore global swatches.
    This is nuts. I waste so much time.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Drop shadow distribution curves

Right now shadow is just blurred silhouette.
    Please add option to tweak it's distribution, as PS does ('profiles').

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Enhancing the Convert to Shape Effects

The Rectangle, Eplise and Polygon tools had been updated with dynamic properties in CC 2014.

That will be huge to have these properties added to the "Convert to Shape" Effect and to add the Polygon and Star tools to the "Convert to Shape" list.

It will allow more Advanced Appearances and Graphic Styles.

–––

+Adding the Reference Point:
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/32052073-add-reference-point-to-convert-to-shape-effect

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Grayscale as an Effect

I would like to be able to apply a non-destructive "Convert to Grayscale" Effect to Objects, Groups or Layers.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. A way to fill shapes with brush textures (paint bucket)

An ability to use a paint bucket to manually fill shapes with textures such as the watercolor brush, or an ability to pick swatches and textures within the fill panel.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Please re-introduce 3D VECTORS

I know, I know, "3D (Classic)" is still in the Effect/3D and Materials" menu, but the "Classic" designation means it's on the chopping-block.

Please do not get rid of 3D VECTORS! Adobe Dimensions used to be so completely awesome (it was simple, easy and perfect) and that was made "Classic", too. 3D vectors are far superior for illustration than all the trendy raster stuff.

PLEASE BRING BACK 3D VECTORS

Thank you!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Please re-add 3D mapping with Symbols to new 3D functionality

Please re-add 3D mapping with Symbols to the new 3D functionality.

I know it's included in the "3D (Classic)" Effects menu, but it needs to be added to the new 3D functionality. Calling it "Classic" means Adobe is going to abandon it (for something worse). I use 3D mapping with Symbols ALL THE TIME. PLEASE add it back.

Thank you!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Attach Symbol Effect

Adding a new Effect to Attach a Symbol would heavily simplify the creation of Appearances (Graphic Styles) like the one in my Screenshot.

Of course a Reference Point and Liquid constraints like in InDesign would be amazing.

And that will open all new horizons of possibilities!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. normal map

As It's already existing in Photoshop, and as there are some Photoshop filters applyable in Illustrator, I was wondering if we can get the "convert to Normal Map" filter directly in Illustrator.

It may be useful and more efficient than using AI + PS to generate some Normal maps based on vector graphics.

Many Thanks

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Transforming 3D effects

For 3D effects such as 'Extrude and Bevel', 'Revolve' and 'Rotate', transformation behaviour is incomplete. For instance:

Scale Strokes and Effects doesn't cause the extrude depth to scale.

Flipping the object only flips the path and not the 3D effect.

Both these things should transform as expected...

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Perspective mode for Free Distort effect

Free Distort effects, being a bit outdated with it's detached preview window, comes out Super Tool with Stylism plugin installed. But it could do so much better if there would be a tick, that turns distortion into a perspective one, as the tool with the same name allows to do. That would allow us to distort stuff live in perspective (and omit using overcomplicated Perspective Grid for small tasks).

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Z depth / 3D space for points on path.

I do medical illustration for suture techniques. I use a path with a stroke to illustrate the suture (like a string), which need to overlap and show depth. I add a drop shadow to the path, but it simply goes around the entirety of the path's stroke shape, and doesn't apply above segments of the path which should appear below the higher sections.

There needs to be a z-axis system where I can assign a z-depth to each point on a path, which allows the drop shadow effect to apply to the same path on depths below it.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Drag & Drop Appearance

Hi,

Currently, moving individual "Appearance" between objects is a difficult route:
    1. Select the object. Deselect the object.
    2. Display the "Appearance" palette
    3. Delete unnecessary "Appearance"
    4. create a style. with the right Apperance
    5. Select the object.
    6. ALT + Click on the style to add a new Appearance to the existing Appearance of the object.

Whew ....

Can you not create the ability to drag the Appearance?

It would be great and so much more time during work.

Best Regards

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. procedural textures for fills

It would be nice if there was a procedural texture fill available. Something like coreldraw has, but completely procedural so that file size doesn't bloat. The more parameters the better so we could create many varying textures/colors/patterns/etc.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Perspective Distort tools to mockup signs on photos

If possible please can you add the distort picture/image or even text that has been converted to outlines. this is litterly the only reason for me to use photoshop.
    I'm a sign writer and I need to show what the clients sign looks like on the building so I now have to save the sign as a jpeg, then I need to open Photoshop and import the image of the building, then upload a picture of the sign, then I can distort the picture of the sign so it looks like it is actually on the building, I can sort…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base