Illustrator Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. The Graphic Styles Panel needs to have Global and Local panels to allow persistent styles across Illustrator

We create a lot of vector elements and having to change the fill and stroke every time is painful. No fill/No stroke as the default would be MUCH better. Why it's a white fill and black stroke is beyond me.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Separation preview with values on hover

Just like in InDesign there should be the value of each channel on the exact spot (while you are hovering over any point on your artwork)

Here the difference between AI and ID (each while hovering over an image)

It's hard to check color values without (at the moment you have to put the finished .ai into a InDesign document, activate separation view there and check each point.) For printing you have a minimum requirement of 3%-7% (depending on the technique like offset or gravure printing) in each channel to make sure it actually prints. Otherwise it may not! It…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. image trace setting that supports the maximum 5 color import to color library pallet restriction

the ability to generate pallets from images using live trace is great, i was dismayed when i created a swatch library then tried to export the swatch set to the library it gave me an error indicating that only exports with 1 to 5 colors in the set were allowed to be sent to the library.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. color swatch meta fields assignment feature

please add a few extra fields to give greater depth to the swatches
    i noticed that you have nicely chosen names like history etc for the theme swatch libraries yet when i go to create a new swatch the panel does not give me the option to attach a meta descriptor tag cloud to the color swatch, think about how this feature works on full images in the bridge. how excellent this would be at the swatch level. we could search for swatches by meta tag, i could see a dedicated program for using a eye dropper tool and assigning…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Photoshop Like Color Editing Across Multiple Vectors

It would be great to have the ability to manipulate colors across multiple vectors by HSB. There is a plugin capable of handling this by Astute graphics, but their pricing practices are criminal in nature. They are currently trying to double charge me for their product and I'd like to just get away from that company all together.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Problem Illustrator 24 does not support the old PANTONE libraries

I tried to follow your guide: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/pantone-plus.html, that I always used to insert the old PANTONE libraries and have a conversion to CMYK instead of LAB and in this version it doesn't work.

I contact the online chat and they replied that this thing with ILLUSTRATOR 24 is no longer supported, and it is absurd.

I also tried to install the prereleas 24.0.1 but it doesn't work.

I can't work without this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Gradient Eye Dropper click and drag to analyze the colors under the length of a vector

if i drag my cursor across an image the illustrator program should be able to make an assessment of the various properties of color under the path that was drawn.

this could easily be turned into a pallet with relational distance parameters and a cool gradient tool with a number of samples resolution feature to adjust the density of changes across the gradient would be very welcome in our illustrator tool set.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Color Reverse

I've been making icons and when I have to reverse them to be on a dark background it would be great to be able to do that with one click.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Smart/Adaptive Colors

Smart colors would allow a user to apply different numerical values to a color within their Swatches, and lock them across color profiles. This would differ from the current standards by allowing users to preselect the different values for each color profile and lock them in, ensuring better consistency throughout materials.

For example, if the document is in CMYK, the color will adapt the the CMYK values applied and locked to the color. When dragged into a new project set up in RGB, the color would adapt to the assigned RBG values. This would also allow the opportunity to link…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make the hex code box visible for all color modes on the color panel. Not just RGB modes.

I only ever use HSB to dial in my color and it slows me down to double click on the color to only have to copy the hex code in a different window. The only modes that currently have a box that displays the hex code are RGB or WebsafeRGB. This is missing for all other modes such as HSB, CMYK and Grayscale. Make the hex code box visible for all color modes on the color panel, please.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Be able to add Swatch chips to artboard

Be able to select a swatch and be able to add a chip of that colour to the artboard which displays the colour breakdown information (CMYK, RGB, etc) or specific colour name/number (Pantone). This would be useful to show what colours an artwork is made up of or for colour reference.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Enable multiple paint bucket selections at once

I use the paint bucket feature quite a bit on architectural drawings. One area of every drawing I work on has thousands of very small areas ... and I currently have to zoom in to make sure I fill every tiny closed area. It would be great if I could select a whole area (that included hundreds of smaller closed areas that I wanted to paint all the same color) ... and then color them all at once. This would save me (my company) 100 hours a week or more. Hope you can add this feature!!

Mike

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. "View colors as Word"

Adobe apps and Office do not play well together.
    Even in RGB graphics in Illustrator don't translate well in Word. Can there be a "View As..." option to show how Word will translate them?
    Or....ORRRRRRRRRRR....(this is what SHOULD happen...)
    Everyone jump on Microsoft and bully them into adding a CMYK color space to Word/Office.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Customize Default Swatches

Give users the ability to customize the default swatch library that is automatically added to every new file. The current selection of default swatches can't be changed, and the user should have control over this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Change conversion of black when going from RGB to CMYK

Please change the default behavior when converting a file from RGB color space to CMYK color space to make RGB black convert to 100% black. Currently and for years, Illustrator converts it to a rich black, with high values in each ink. It's very common to have to take artwork created in RGB and covert it to CMYK for print, and the default conversion for black is never usable. Please make it practical and have 0,0,0, RGB black convert to Cyan 0, Magenta 0, Yellow 0, Black 100.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Why This

Why White color on White Background. Please changer This

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Automatically make gradients by just selecting two or more colours.

Create a default gradient of two or more colours just by selecting them on the artwork or on the swatches panel without having to copy and paste the color codes separately.

102 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. approximate Pantone from a process color similar to Photoshop

If you choose a color from the color picker in Photoshop, it will show you the nearest equivalent in the Pantone library.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Asset Export Color Mode Default

There needs to be a settings for the Asset Export that allows us to select a default color mode to export with. I always build in CMYK and it's irritating to have to convert the whole file to RGB in order to use Asset Export to export out an RGB jpeg etc. Give us a option menu setting that is something like: Export CMYK as RGB. I always export out CMYK jpegs by accident. Doesn't matter on Instagram, but other platforms they look like **** because it's a CMYK image. I NEVER export out CMYK images from Ai. And why…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Syncable Color Swatch/Palette Library

it would be nice to have one library with different categories.. you update it once and see it in every illustrator file!
    this would be very useful for personal use but also in teams, somewhat like a kuler for illustrator.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base