Illustrator Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make the hex code box visible for all color modes on the color panel. Not just RGB modes.

I only ever use HSB to dial in my color and it slows me down to double click on the color to only have to copy the hex code in a different window. The only modes that currently have a box that displays the hex code are RGB or WebsafeRGB. This is missing for all other modes such as HSB, CMYK and Grayscale. Make the hex code box visible for all color modes on the color panel, please.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Be able to add Swatch chips to artboard

Be able to select a swatch and be able to add a chip of that colour to the artboard which displays the colour breakdown information (CMYK, RGB, etc) or specific colour name/number (Pantone). This would be useful to show what colours an artwork is made up of or for colour reference.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Enable multiple paint bucket selections at once

I use the paint bucket feature quite a bit on architectural drawings. One area of every drawing I work on has thousands of very small areas ... and I currently have to zoom in to make sure I fill every tiny closed area. It would be great if I could select a whole area (that included hundreds of smaller closed areas that I wanted to paint all the same color) ... and then color them all at once. This would save me (my company) 100 hours a week or more. Hope you can add this feature!!

Mike

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. "View colors as Word"

Adobe apps and Office do not play well together.
    Even in RGB graphics in Illustrator don't translate well in Word. Can there be a "View As..." option to show how Word will translate them?
    Or....ORRRRRRRRRRR....(this is what SHOULD happen...)
    Everyone jump on Microsoft and bully them into adding a CMYK color space to Word/Office.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Customize Default Swatches

Give users the ability to customize the default swatch library that is automatically added to every new file. The current selection of default swatches can't be changed, and the user should have control over this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Change conversion of black when going from RGB to CMYK

Please change the default behavior when converting a file from RGB color space to CMYK color space to make RGB black convert to 100% black. Currently and for years, Illustrator converts it to a rich black, with high values in each ink. It's very common to have to take artwork created in RGB and covert it to CMYK for print, and the default conversion for black is never usable. Please make it practical and have 0,0,0, RGB black convert to Cyan 0, Magenta 0, Yellow 0, Black 100.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Why This

Why White color on White Background. Please changer This

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Automatically make gradients by just selecting two or more colours.

Create a default gradient of two or more colours just by selecting them on the artwork or on the swatches panel without having to copy and paste the color codes separately.

99 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. approximate Pantone from a process color similar to Photoshop

If you choose a color from the color picker in Photoshop, it will show you the nearest equivalent in the Pantone library.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Asset Export Color Mode Default

There needs to be a settings for the Asset Export that allows us to select a default color mode to export with. I always build in CMYK and it's irritating to have to convert the whole file to RGB in order to use Asset Export to export out an RGB jpeg etc. Give us a option menu setting that is something like: Export CMYK as RGB. I always export out CMYK jpegs by accident. Doesn't matter on Instagram, but other platforms they look like **** because it's a CMYK image. I NEVER export out CMYK images from Ai. And why…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Syncable Color Swatch/Palette Library

it would be nice to have one library with different categories.. you update it once and see it in every illustrator file!
    this would be very useful for personal use but also in teams, somewhat like a kuler for illustrator.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Include Photoshop's Gamut Warning feature

Photoshop has a great feature that, in the color picker, greys out any colors unavailable in CMYK. This makes choosing appropriate colors for a project much faster and easier. It would be nice if Illustrator had this same functionality.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Give the Colors panel a useful color picker

Illustrator has a number of different color pickers that appear depending on what particular item you click on, but the one in the color panel is the least useful and most tiring to use.

As far as I can tell, this picker is the Brightness Cube from Photoshop but without the brightness slider that’s needed to make effective use of it. If you use the sliders to adjust saturation or brightness, the change isn’t reflected in the palette square.

With this picker, you can either reduce saturation but with maximum brightness, OR you can reduce brightness but with maximum saturation.…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Gradient Swatch includes angle and position, please!

Currently a Gradient swatch only includes color and transparency. PLEASE build Illustrator so Gradient Swatches include angle and position!

It's a pain to have to adjust the gradient angle, after a Gradient Swatch attribute has been applied to an object. If the angle were editable and save-able (in the swatch) it would be wonderful!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Recolor Artwork Link Harmony Colors on by default

We only ever need to use the Recolor Artwork feature with the Link Harmony Colors on. Is it possible to have it remember the last setting that you used rather than defaulting to it not being on.

Not a big thing but would be handy!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Batch import of .ase files directly to the swatches palette

For example, if I have a dozen .ase files from different colleges, opening them one by one and adding them to my swatches takes time. I'd rather put them into a folder and have Illustrator import them all. Having them import as Color Groups should be kept.
    I'd like to be able to do this.
    Swatches > Open Swatch Library > Other Library > [folder name]
    Every .ase file in that folder should open up/be imported in my swatches palette. Bam! I'm done!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Wait for the #Color Code to finish

I sometimes look up # Color Codes and want to type them in Illustrator. Every time I start typing and click again in another window, Illustrator just fills in the #Code with some '0' and I need to retype the code again. Why dont just let Illsutrator wait for the User to type the code completely? If the user has not typed in 6 letters, the "ok" button would be inactive until the user has finished the code.
    This is very annoying because filling in the 'missing' letters may be good for the software, but is not really user friendly.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Hue cube / Live Color Picker

Would it be possible to import the Hue cube from Photoshop when choosing color? MagicPicker plugin won't work when selecting gradient colors (it will just replace the gradient completely) and Color Picker doesn't allow for real-time changes, you need to select the color and press OK to see the change. Color tab works perfectly, but the available color palette is impractical to use. I have no clue why you are not using the same setup as in Photoshop, where the Color tab looks exactly like the Color Picker. People have been complaining about this for 4 years now.

Youtube video…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Merge swatches with right-click

In InDesign you can right-click in the swatches panel and select 'Merge Swatches' (among many other things).

In Illustrator there is no right-click menu at all, you have to click the fly-out.

Adding the right-click menu (or even the ability add a keyboard shortcut to things in the fly-out) would be helpful as we get a lot of files with duplicate colors or need to convert odd mixes/incorrect names to true Pantones so our rips will recognize them. We do a lot of merging.

Thank you!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Swatches not naming properly vs document color mode

I create my document in CMYK but when I open my swatches the first time (I have done no copying or pasting into the document or anything to mess with any color settings), they are CMYK blends with RGB names. Why is it doing that and what can I do to fix it?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base