How can we improve Illustrator? Vote for or share a new idea.

New Customizable Toolbar need a way to Lock

Customizable toolbar absolutely needs to have a way of locking it!

138 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

151 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AHA Thank you Illustrator community for confirming that I am not actually insane and the toolbar is jumping all over the place. Here's what I posted in another thread:

Well, I have been working with custom workspaces for years and this default toolbar was made in my custom workspace. I have never needed to manually save a custom workspace. I just select the workspace and the way I configure it is how it stays . It is interesting to note that my palettes are unaffected by this change issue in my custom workspace. How I group my palettes stay unless I change them. However, with my tools, if I set up the toolbar as I like with my tools in a certain order, they will mysteriously group themselves together. It is ONLY since my recent upgrade to 2019 and it's driving me INSANE...my eyes are starting to twitch.

Till I found this page I thought I was losing my mind. Yeah this needs a fix.

Yeh, I keep having to reset my toolbar using the 3dots menu. Can't wait for the update with a lockable toolbar option.

One of the worst updates I have witnessed yet for illustrator. I do not need to move my toolbar icons around, we can all manage that fine with the toolbar customization. This is not intuitive design adobe. This is causing down time for creatives to do simple things like clicking an icon.

Absolutely ridiculous. It's all fine and well to be able to move your tools around... great. But to not be able to lock them down is insane. Add this ability ASAP in the Windows > Toolbars menu or somewhere. Switching from basic to advanced does not reset for me. I'm losing tons of time.

• Emma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had this update for a total of one day and this new toolbar update has already been driving me and the other designers in my office bonkers. First thing I did day 2 was look up if there was a way to lock the toolbar and stumbled on this forum. ADOBE this is a MAJOR issue. A LOCK feature is 100% NEEDED for a designer's daily workflow.

It seems very clear to me that this update was poorly tested by an actual heavy Illustrator user. If this was tested properly, you'd know within in a few hours that this is seriously disruptive and needs to be fixed.

Im going back to Illustrator 2018. I've never had to do this in 20+ years of using the software. Hopefully it can be fixed soon.

I just talked to Adobe as well, they have no solution to the problem and no lock feature. I'm going back to Illustrator 2018!

I can't stand it! Every time I change a tool it's in a different place or different tool sub folder. A lock would fix it all. You can go hit the three dots at the bottom of the tools and then select the three lines at the top and re set the tools. I have been doing this every 5 min. It SUCKS!

• laurence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

? Tools moving about everywhere !! cant find things where they have always been !!

• Paul Everett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

arrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! evolving tool bar?… If I was driving and my break or accelerator pedal swapped I would be in the same situation I am with Adobe Illustrator 2019, I just crashed in to a wall!!!

Thanks for sharing I thought I was losing my mind. Please please fix, can't handle my handles.

• TJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has also been reported here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/35854462-custom-tool-palettes-are-fubar-in-ai-2019-witnes

And here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/35752432-ai-2019-tool-pallet-issues-tool-are-continuall

And probably in numerous tweets. (At least 5 of which have been mine.) I wish we could combine upvotes to get the developers to take more notice, because this is a serious usability issue it seems like there are a lot more people out there experiencing it than it appears.

What I would advise for anyone who hasn't is to re-download AI 2018 from the CC App and simply use that until this is fixed. Using 2019 with this bug is like trying to drive a car with steering wheel constantly coming off.

Please fix it so we have the option of locking our tool pallet so tools aren't constantly shifting. Slows down the workflow and is totally annoying.

• Giles Halton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is costing me money now. I'm losing business Adobe. You are literally making me earn less wages. This needs to be fixed really quickly. And when you've done that, sort out all the rest of the bugs in illustrator. Terrible product. For a company that runs the entire world's digital creative platform, you have all our nuts in a vice, and you don't care.

• Paolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every other software which has customizable toolbars locks them up if not in the edit toolbar mode.
        I wonder why you didn't even think about it.
        Solved it please, I have to move buttons so many times in a day it is very frustrating.

• Troy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've re-downloaded Illustrator 2018 (22.1) and life is back to normal.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base