1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

49 results found

1. Align Stroke to one side of open path

The feature which allows you to align stroke to inside or outside of a path for closed shapes is fantastic and gives a great deal of dynamic help. Currently, the only way to align a stroked path and another shape is inaccurately with only visual cues or expand the stroked path and lose editability.

I don't know if it has been suggested but a feature which allowed you to preserve a non destructive workflow and interact with shapes more easily is very much within reach. Simply create an equivalent for the align stroke to inside or outside of path for…

93 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

22 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

And it’s now in Beta 28.1.0.100 and you can try it and see if it works as expected. This really feels like a fixed bug, something we all should have had from the day inside/outside strokes got introduced.

Please, give it a go and comment back!

If you are also interested in having this option to work with gradient-on-stroke modes, consider upvoting this request: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/31953622-non-functional-gradient-stroke-along-across-option

2. Apply any Cap Style to a Stroke End Point

Allow user to be able to select an end anchor point on a stroke and apply any cap they choose. So one path could have a butt cap on one end and round cap on the other end. This would make building certain styles with strokes far easier and avoid problems that the current workflow creates when expanded at times.

52 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 曲線同士がつながるコーナーのマイター処理をより高度に改善して欲しい

曲線同士がつながるコーナーのマイター処理が直線になってしまって美しくないので、滑らかに曲線同士がつながる処理も追加して欲しいと思います。

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Split paths by currently applied dash settings

Hi - I was directed here via adobe and illustrator support teams on twitter.

I'm submitting a suggestion for a function or feature for adobe illustrator in which the user may subdivide a dashed path into individual smaller paths, by the measurement and placement of said dash style. I have seen many different suggestions and workarounds for this over the past few years but none actually execute this specific action. (Setting to .0001 stroke, expanding, then deleting excess points isn't ideal!)

In my current role, and in our office, we design and create physical package design comps. we frequently use…

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Convert expanded strokes back to live strokes (unexpand / unoutline strokes)

So far there is no way to de-expand strokes back to live strokes.

The suggested practice is to cut the shape in pieces and blend pairs with 1-step blends, expand and join manually — a tedious solution. We have to keep strokes alive as long as possible if we plan to edit them after. The effects we can use to make an art non-destructive are quite limited.

We now have cool Reform plugin by AstuteGraphics that allows to edit expanded strokes in a different way, but is does not solve the original problem and only helps to workaround and offers…

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Hairline Stroke

Be more Builder/industry user friendly!
    Please, set a preset "hairline" or 0.001 stroke size... so that CO2 laser users can focus more on creating content that dealing with this type of easy to implement features....

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Turn text and shapes into a centerline (Unoutline Stroke)

This could be useful for text as well as outlines strokes if you could turn them back into open paths that are located exactly in the center of the shape.

Give us an exact result, not like the wiggly lines that Image Trace produces.

And also get good results with crossing lines.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. An option to ignore strokes when using Fit to Artwork Bounds or Fit to Selected Art commands

Illustrator now always fits the current artboard respecting strokes and raster effects, as if the 'Use Preview Bounds' option is on.

However, disabling this option does not change the behaviour 'Fit to Artwork Bounds' or 'Fit to Selected Art' commands — strokes and shadows are still considered to be the bounds to fit.

This is not what a user wants in many cases, and geometric bounds are preferred instead.
    We need Illustrator to either respect 'Use Preview Bounds' option — as Symbols do — or have another set of option for fitting command, to separately control strokes and effects.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When outlining dotted lines with "aligns dashes", unnecessary anchor points are generated

When dotted lines with “Aligns dashes to corners and path ends, adjusting lengths to fit” are outlined , unnecessary anchor points are generated in the circles at both ends.

When performing detailed processing to create artwork, I sometimes outline dashed lines. So, unnecessary anchor points are an obstacle in such processing.
    Although there are workarounds, I hope that users will get clean outline results without any ingenuity.

Workaround:
    (A)
    1.Double-click anywhere in the stroke with Width tool to add a new width point.
    2.Execute “Expand Appearance” , “Outline Strokes” or “Flatten Transparency”.

(B)
    1.Drawing strokes in accurately calculated length with…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow to make sharp transitions using Width Tool

Width Tool allows us to set width markers on a path, to make its stroke’s outline blend between set cross-sections. We have some limited controls over these markers, we can make each side have its own width, we can snap them to points, but that’s it.

What we also need is way to make this transitions sharp, rather than smooth.
    Look at the image attached.

The path on the top is a stroke with a variable stroke profile.
    The path on the bottom is a demonstration of what we want (an art brush actually).

Sure, we can fake this behavior…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Easier custom arrow head design

I use custom arrow heads for a lot of projects and would like an easier interface for creating and managing custom arrow heads. I want to be able to rearrange the order of the arrow heads available as well as have fine grained control over how the arrow head will scale with stroke size. Non-symmetrical arrow head support is important to my work as well.

Also, I really want to be able to place an arrow head at one end of a path at the tip and have the arrow head at the other end extend beyond the end of…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. A Dashed Line tool.

I have seen a few plugins (Nudge, WidthScribe) do things with dashes that suggest there is room for a lot more dashes on a stroke than the three repeating dash/gap entries the Stroke panel lets me create.

I would like an interactive, on-canvas tool that lets me drag dashes, gaps, and their endpoints around on a selected path. Being able to create and delete dashes/gaps would be nice, too.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. To have an option in stroke panel to keep end points vertical/horizontal on angled strokes

Would love an option to easily have the endpoint of a stroke remain vertical/horizontal when using angled strokes. To 'shear' a stroke isn't easy, so could this be an option in the Stroke panel?

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. RETURN TO PREVIOUS VERSION EXPAND STROKE

PLEASE!!!! Return to the previous version of expand stroke. Where it KEEPS the stroke over lapping and doesn't turn it into a compound shape. SO frustrating that that is no longer available or an option. I might expand the stroke, but still want to make adjustments after(like make wider/narrower in parts), which was SO EASY previously. Now I just want to smash the computer. Eh. There are a lot of other changes I hate. But probably this is the biggest. Don't know why you would change things that have been pretty much the same for 20+ years.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow users to change default setting for miter limit.

I frequently use the Object - Path - Offset path tool, and I always have to change the miter limit. I would like to be able to define my own default value so I would not have to change it every time I use the function.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Enhanced Miter Join with Obelisk/Chisel options for shortening spikes スパイクを短縮するためのオベリスク/チゼルオプションによるマイター結合の強化

Instead of Miter Joins just defaulting to Bevel Joints when the Miter Limit is too low, Obelisk/Chisel options can give a whole range of symmetric/asymmetric shortening of spikes, for the whole path through the Stroke palette and/or as a more flexible feature like live Corners applicable to one/more/all joins.

Described and shown in the thread below where just a few possible shapes and uses are included.

マイターリミットが低すぎるときにマイターコーナーをデフォルトでベベルコーナーにする代わりに、オベリスク/チゼルオプションは、スパイクの対称/非対称短縮の全範囲を提供できます。ストロークパレットを通るパス全体に対して、および/またはより柔軟な機能として 1つ/複数/すべての結合に適用可能 ライブコーナーのように、

いくつかの可能な形状と使用法が含まれる以下のスレッドで説明および表示されます。

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/ai-2020-stroke-path-won-t-do-anything/td-p/10798159

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add commonly used stroke weights in a document to a dropdown

Sense the stroke weights being used in the document so they can be selected in the drop down menu in Stroke Weights.

So if 0.15 was a common stroke weight it would appear in the drop down menu that now starts at 0.25. It could be cursive or grey to give standout.

Thanks
    E

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Have stroke type selection like in InDesign

InDesign has a great feature in the Stroke Panel where you can select different types of strokes - like dashed, dotted, wavy, etc.

It would be great if Illustrator had the same feature.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow to save changes into the locked Arrowheads.ai file

So you are a smart one and figured out how to make your own arrowheads...
    The help article tells how to do it (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/stroke-object.html) and then the file itself has some instructions.

But then you try to save the changes, and get an error message. You can't overwrite the file, because it’s locked by Ai, because it uses it to display arrowheads in their dropdown...

Currently you have to save the file someplace else, close Ai, wait a bit, replace the fil, launch Ai back. Very cool...
    Then you realize you made a tiny mistake probably, and you…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow to set the variable width of stroke to zero

The stroke width tool is great, however you can't reduce the stroke width to zero, you're always left with a hairline. This should be corrected urgently!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?