When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Align Stroke to one side of path

The feature which allows you to align stroke to inside or outside of a path for closed shapes is fantastic and gives a great deal of dynamic help. Currently, the only way to align a stroked path and another shape is inaccurately with only visual cues or expand the stroked path and lose editability.

I don't know if it has been suggested but a feature which allowed you to preserve a non destructive workflow and interact with shapes more easily is very much within reach. Simply create an equivalent for the align stroke to inside or outside of path for…

50 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

15 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Split paths by currently applied dash settings

Hi - I was directed here via adobe and illustrator support teams on twitter.

I'm submitting a suggestion for a function or feature for adobe illustrator in which the user may subdivide a dashed path into individual smaller paths, by the measurement and placement of said dash style. I have seen many different suggestions and workarounds for this over the past few years but none actually execute this specific action. (Setting to .0001 stroke, expanding, then deleting excess points isn't ideal!)

In my current role, and in our office, we design and create physical package design comps. we frequently use…

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Strokes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. All three stroke gradient types should be applicable to all three stroke alignments

All three stroke gradient types should be applicable to all three stroke alignments. At the moment, I can only use all three gradient types if the stroke is aligned to the center of the path. If I need to make for instance a circular gradient on a stroke (the second gradient option), I am forced to align the stroke to center.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Have stroke type selection like in InDesign

InDesign has a great feature in the Stroke Panel where you can select different types of strokes - like dashed, dotted, wavy, etc.

It would be great if Illustrator had the same feature.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. A Dashed Line tool.

I have seen a few plugins (Nudge, WidthScribe) do things with dashes that suggest there is room for a lot more dashes on a stroke than the three repeating dash/gap entries the Stroke panel lets me create.

I would like an interactive, on-canvas tool that lets me drag dashes, gaps, and their endpoints around on a selected path. Being able to create and delete dashes/gaps would be nice, too.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. RETURN TO PREVIOUS VERSION EXPAND STROKE

PLEASE!!!! Return to the previous version of expand stroke. Where it KEEPS the stroke over lapping and doesn't turn it into a compound shape. SO frustrating that that is no longer available or an option. I might expand the stroke, but still want to make adjustments after(like make wider/narrower in parts), which was SO EASY previously. Now I just want to smash the computer. Eh. There are a lot of other changes I hate. But probably this is the biggest. Don't know why you would change things that have been pretty much the same for 20+ years.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Different Stroke weight in every point node

I'm trying to make a typeface in illustrator, but it's so hard when i have to apply multiple different weight in one stroke (especially with serif typeface). So i have manually expand the stroke and edit it manually, and the result is not tidy or clean enough.

I know there is width tool to edit stroke weight, but it behave more like a brush, it will get messy if i want to change stroke weight and not having consistent shape if i cut some part of the alphabet to use it on another alphabet.

So i have an idea if…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Automatic stroke manipulation based on the depth of geometry

It has been quite time-consuming when producing architecture line drawing representations. The depth of an object is represented through the different stroke weights. Every time I have to modify the stroke weights manually (i.e. perspective representation, the closer visual depth the objects have, the thicker stroke weights they have, vice versa) I expect illustrator can update this ability to automatically compute the visual depth of objects and adjust stroke weights of every geometric edges based on the rule of perspective representation! That could save life of many architecture students!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Control stroke thickness spanning across the whole line.

Ability to control the stroke thickness on different points on a single line, much like how the gradient works, but with stroke thickness.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. One Path, many colors...

Would Love to be able to select path segments with the Direct Select tool and apply, line weight and color assignments to that segment only - WITHOUT cutting the path into myriad, noncontiguous chunks.
    Wishing to retain the editibity of the Path.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Scaling Arrowheads Maintains Original Stroke Width

Is it possible to add an option in the Stroke panel which allows scaling of the arrowheads and start and end shapes (like Circle, Square, SimpleWide, Simple, ettc.) without scaling their stroke width?

Now the stroke width of the arrow or shape is increased or decreased when scaling. Please see attached images. Often times I would like to use a bigger arrowhead or shape but I have to create hem manually as scaling up results the arrowhead becoming a wider stroke than the stroke itself.

For instance - a 2 point stroke with a SimpleWide arrowhead results in the arrowhead…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base