Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests
When entering a new feature request, please provide:
- Description
- Why is this valuable to you?
823 results found
-
Allow to quickly enable or disable all Text Options for cards in Swatch Info objects
Text cards for Swatch Info objects can have a lot of items displayed.
I found that I either need all of these or none often. The only way to choose between these two major modes is to patiently toggle each one manually.
...meanwhile in Asset Export we can easily choose to use All or No Artboards with dedicated buttons. Perhaps there should be a way to do the same thing here?
It should be allowed both when creating and when editing a Swatch Info object.5 votes -
Make Document Info Panel show Objects by default
It was suggested that I post this here:
Is it possible to have the 'Document Info' panel show Objects by default? It's literally the only thing I need from that panel and I want it open all the time, every time. Thanks!
5 votes -
Having Generative Fill in a separate panel
Having the option to hide Generative Fill or close it. Having Generative Fill in a dropdown menu.
5 votes -
Rename a document from its tab
Illustrator allows to to set a name for a new document in File > New dialog (both modern and classic one). But once a document is created, you no longer can change the name until it’s saved.
If a user want to set a name, but not ready to save, they have no other choice other then save. While it’s OK to have an unsaved document with a specified name, you are given the chance to name it once until then. Not fair.
Perhaps you should allow users to rename any document for it’s tab?
Probably not with a single…5 votes -
A 'snapshot' feature, similar to After Effects
I use After Effects 'Take snapshot' feature (Shift + F5) all the time. I always go to use it in Illustrator, but it's not here. It would be very handy for referencing changes or states.
5 votes -
Get rid of prompt window
i would love to be able to hide/get rid of that prompt window that says "generate, edit path, repeat, group, lock.." that pops up. its pretty annoying.
5 votesYou can disable this panel via Window > Contextual Task Bar menu command.
The current Beta 28.5.0.34 has a bug though, that enables it back after Ai is relaunched. If you are using normal build, it should just work.
-
Allow third-party developers to add dividers and custom sorting into Effect menus
Third-party developers can add custom items in menus.
Some create their own sub-menus, some add them in-between native commands... there are several practices they use and when they all get used together it feels somewhat chaotic.But it feels like this is because plugin devs can’t fully control the commands in menus. It turns out, they can’t control the order and sorting, add dividers in Effects (but seemingly can in every other menu)...
Effect menu is the most weird menu in Ai, it looks different from others. Maybe that’s why?
There is an existing UV post about it:
https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/36951433-effects-menu-is-smaller-larger-than-other-menus-on5 votes -
Make scrollbars higher contrast or allow customizable colors for them
The gray on gray scheme of the slider and handle in the scrollbars is extremely difficult to work with. Higher contrast is needed or provide the ability to customize the slider color. This is an accessibility issue for older or visually impaired users!
5 votes -
Feature Request: Preference for Copy and Duplicate Layers without auto renaming and adding "copy" to them
Hi Adobe 🙂
I make large Illustrator files that have lots of layers, and often I find myself copying a layer that has a ton of sublayers. I spend way too much time renaming the copied layers removing the word "copy" or "copy 3" etc from the sublayer names.
I have found some workarounds, if this helps anyone. If I want to copy a layer called **, I will copy it, then rename it XXXz then paste and the new pasted layer is ** without the name copy, then I can go back and remove the z from the…
5 votes -
Close panel by a middle-click on its header
Middle-click today is a common gesture.
In browsers and file managers with tabs it allows to close a current tab.
There is a feature request to allows us to close tabs in Ai as well: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/38150188-add-middle-click-to-close-documentBut I would also like to be able to close panel with a middle-click. Not collapse — this is what a left-click does — but just close the panel.
5 votes -
Make Recolor Artwork freely draggable
The initial Recolor panel cannot be dragged around on small screens (that you need to set up for recording tutorials or for whatever other reason). The controls are hidden. It would be great if this panel would behave like a normal panel when dragging around.
In the screenshot the monitor is set to 1280 x 720 and the dragstrip is not available. For even smaller screens, some control might get out of reach.
5 votes -
Warn of locked and hidden items when saving or selecting all and trying to move the selection.
Receive a warning if trying to save a file that has hidden objects. Warn when selecting all and then trying to move selection that elements are locked.
5 votes -
Customize Illustrator, change default presets
At this moment it's a painful story to change the default graphic style or font. Especially if you have to work with certain design guidelines it would be easier to have a workspace that features the right colors, fonts, etc on default. Please try to figure out how to make this easier for us.
5 votes -
Keyboard shortcuts for switching Workspaces
In Premiere, I can quickly switch between Editing, Multicam and Color Correction workspaces via keyboard shortcuts. I don't understand why the same isn't possible in Illustrator? If you need to switch workspaces with the mouse via a dropdown menu, it negates a lot of the reason for using them in the first place (time savings) It seems even more essential in Illustrator than Premiere, because you typically switch between tasks much more quickly.
5 votes -
Simulate color blindness for accessibility
It would be nice to be able to quickly check my work for accessibility. A button group/panel that lets me switch between protanopia, deuteranopia, tritanopia, and monochromacy would be really useful. Arguably, a monochromatic view is useful outside of accessibility, allowing one to check the tonal or value relationships in a design. This feature is not only applicable in Illustrator but across many of your products.
5 votes -
Stop making new features the default.
It's really annoying that you introduce a new feature that works in a different way to how it's been for years and then you make it the default. It seems like a bug or something's not working. Then we go online and google it and find out it's a new thing and to add insult to injury it's the default and we can't default it back to the old way, that we use a hundred times a day.
The dynamic symbol is a great example of that. People have been complaining about it since 2017 and still the default.5 votes -
Remove Onboarding features as they get in the way of me trying to do my job
It can be extremely frustrating to have popover windows introduce features or to say "hey let's start designing". I'm already trying to design by firing up illustrator and opening a file. I'm busy and just need to get some work done for a deadline. I don't need you asking the obvious or interrupting me from completing my job.
I get that you want to help me know that new features exist, but please, please, do that in a way that doesn't force me to acknowledge your popover when I open up a file that already exists. Or even if i…
5 votes -
Option to define layer/ sublayer behavior
Every time I open an old file all the sub-layers are collapsed
Even though a lot of people wish for the option to auto collapse the sub-layers, I personally work a lot with them expanded.
Hence my wish to have the option to set the behavior of the layers with sub-layers either auto-opened or collapsed (or as saved like last edit)
5 votes -
Hide/Unhide an object or a layer should not require UNDO command
Undo command should not affect toggling object/layer visibility.
At least it would reduce the list of UNDOs... as most time I just toggle visibility to preview outcome.
5 votes -
Combine color and stroke in one palette
Older versions of ai had color and stroke in one palette... since in almost 100% of the cases when you draw an object you will need to modify both. This could be be an option under both current palettes.
5 votes
- Don't see your idea?