When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enhanced Shape Builder Tool

Something that would be enormously helpful and prevent a lot of unnecessary backtracking would be expanding on the capabilities of the shape builder tool in three key ways, though if any are possible, the first one would be most helpful.

1. Allow the use of the shapebuilder tool on objects contained in a mask.

2. Allow the shape builder tool to operate on an object outside of a mask using objects inside a mask

3. Allow for selective use of shape builder tool on specific objects in a group without ungrouping.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Gridify in Illustrator

I would really like to have the same feature as in InDesign, with which you can draw multiple shapes/lines/text frames simply clicking up/down and right/left arrows while creating them: it would be extremely useful when creating patterns of any type in Illustrator. See attached example of a "gridified" hexagons sequence in InDesign.
    Please add that!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Toggle Lasso tool

When using the direct select tool, use a key modifier to toggle the lasso tool rather than always having to completely switch tools to get the lasso tool.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. An option to ignore locked layers with the eyedropper tool

At the moment, if you have a locked layer above the layer you are working in, the eyedropper tool selects colors and properties of the top layer - the locked layer - instead of the (unlocked) layer you are working on.

This causes frustration as every time you want to eyedrops something, you have to make a bunch of layers invisible first.

If an option could be added to the eyedropper tool, such as "ignore locked layers", this problem would be gone completely and working with Illustrator would be a lot smoother and faster.

This could be an option under…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Poseable figures to aid drawing

Have a set of virtual human figures - either stick people or in the style of wooden artists’ figures - that can be manipulated into whatever pose you need, then turned into a template layer so you can draw your character over them. Thus helping with poses and dimensions. This would be extremely useful for users who are not trained illustrators.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Transform small object with "Bounding box" anchors horizontally or vertically only

When you have small (thin) object selected.. you have bounding box with only corner anchors, and its impossible to change its size (horizontal or vertical) with hand.. look at attached image "smaller object selected" there are illustrator and indesign side by side..
    in Indesign its works perfectly - even on small object its possible to change height without changing width..
    In illustrator you need to zoom in many times to see those middle anchor boxes.
    PLEASE make all those 9 bounding box anchors visible all the time, not depending from object size.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Introduce real crosshatch option so we can create vector crosshatching fills

Introduce a crosshatch option palette so we can create vector crosshatching fills. Do not put it in your terrible pattern fill mess that you have created.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. CorelDRAW-like node behavior: intuitive select/deselect, maintain shape when deleting a node, two-sided handles.

Years ago, the most painful switch from CorelDRAW (10) to Illustrator (5.5, then CC) was the bezier drawing behavior. I have no experience with newer versions of CorelDRAW, but I'm assuming they behave similarly to v10.
    1. CorelDRAW required fewer clicks to select, manipulate and deselect nodes and the lines they live on. Also, the switch between the normal and direct selection tools (white and black arrows in AI) could be done without returning to the tools menu.
    2. When a node was deleted in CorelDRAW, the software "did the math" and maintained the overall shape (when possible). That's very…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Snapping unexpectedly disabled when drawing to an Artboard edge

When using the rectangle tool or other drawing tools, you can snap to the edge of an artboard, but you cannot snap to grid lines that intersect with the artboard edge.

This makes things complicated if you are designing relative to the artboard all the time with Snap to Grid or Snap to Pixel enabled. I have to workaround it, snapping inside or outside the artboard edge first, then moving the point an exact increment to match where the artboard edge and grid line intersect.

Notice that in my screen recording, this happens even at the beginning when I first…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add Isometric grid/mode similar to Affinity Design.

Add Isometric grid/mode similar to Affinity Design.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Enhance Miter limits on type inner strokes

There are a few mentions of "miter" you might get interested in.

One that I regularly had to deal with was Miter Limit for typefaces (as applied in appearance panel).

Could there be a way to have a miter limit applied only to the outside paths of the letter and not to the counterparts ? (like the holes in e, a, o…)

The second page of this thread shows nice ways to play with that too:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/ai-2020-stroke-path-won-t-do-anything/m-p/10802353#M158393

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Smart Guides based on last angle drawn...

It would be nice if I could have some smart guides show up on screen while drawing lines - but have the angles based on the last line I've drawn. Right now, smart guides are relative to the screen orientation - I'd like an option so that they are relative to the lines I'm drawing, as I'm drawing them as well.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Split into grid tool demands upgrade.

When multiple shapes are selected and use the split into grid tool, instead of split each individual shapes it creats a big box to contain all the shapes and split the big box instead. Who would want that? If I select multiple shape obviously I want to split them individually. If I want to split a big box I'll take a second to create a big box first instead of ruining my delicate little shapes.

Also, it'd be appreciated if it can split more than just squares. Look at your mesh tool, you obviously know how to split different shapes,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Adding object style with all attribute like inDesign and allow to edit that style

if there are possibility to have graphic style editable with all object attributes like object style in inDesign

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Enhanced Miter Join with Obelisk/Chisel options for shortening spikes スパイクを短縮するためのオベリスク/チゼルオプションによるマイター結合の強化

Instead of Miter Joins just defaulting to Bevel Joints when the Miter Limit is too low, Obelisk/Chisel options can give a whole range of symmetric/asymmetric shortening of spikes, for the whole path through the Stroke palette and/or as a more flexible feature like live Corners applicable to one/more/all joins.

Described and shown in the thread below where just a few possible shapes and uses are included.

マイターリミットが低すぎるときにマイターコーナーをデフォルトでベベルコーナーにする代わりに、オベリスク/チゼルオプションは、スパイクの対称/非対称短縮の全範囲を提供できます。ストロークパレットを通るパス全体に対して、および/またはより柔軟な機能として 1つ/複数/すべての結合に適用可能 ライブコーナーのように、

いくつかの可能な形状と使用法が含まれる以下のスレッドで説明および表示されます。

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/ai-2020-stroke-path-won-t-do-anything/td-p/10798159

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Recolor artwork doesn't work

To recolour an image from 16 to 5 colors (or other amount) doesn't work. It only makes the image appear lighter but it is still 16 colours.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Make the eyedropper appear with the brush tool selected by holding down the alt key

With the brush tool selected, make the eyedropper appear by holding down the alt key. This would allow colours within the document to be sampled just like in photoshop, without having to keep selecting from the swatches.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Auto convert from ft. to in. missing from cc2019

I added my forum to make sure it wasn't a setting.

There was a feature in cc2019 that allowed me to convert ft. to in. automatically in illustrator. This made my workflow a lot easier because I didn't have to think about the conversion it just did it for me automatically.

I'm not sure why this was removed in cc2020, but can we get it back please???

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/automatic-conversion-from-ft-to-in/m-p/10783734#M157281

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Anchor point lasso tool and manipulation suite.

click to create a selection area on a selected object(s). Scale, translate and rotate selected anchor points.

This would save lots of time when working with pre-existing artwork or if you draw something and notice afterword a certain part in too small, to big or a little out of position. Some of this is already available but require manual selection or the selection in question to be a square.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Width Tool - Touch Calligraphy brush

Allow the Width Tool to apply changes to Touch Calligraphy brush strokes.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base