How can we improve Illustrator? Vote for or share a new idea.

Folders in the Graphic Styles palette.

I draw comics, and use Graphic Styles to keep my characters consistent across panels and pages.

A simple character might involve a half dozen styles. A complicated character can involve a lot more - see the attached screenshot.

Add in a good chunk of Graphic Styles for recurring background elements and I'm constantly dealing with triple-digit number of entries in the Graphic Styles palette. Finding the set of styles I want to use becomes an increasingly tedious process as pages get more complicated.

I would like to be able to create folders of Graphic Styles, which I can open and close in a similar fashion to opening and closing layers.

Being able to nest them would be nice; in the attached screenshot I have styles for two variants of a character's vehicle, with their own subsets of styles for drawing them at different sizes. Being able to nest all of these into "KIRT MECH" would be great for when I'm working on a page involving three giant robots fighting.

I would also really really love it if these folders were preserved when pulling styles out of a style library, or when copying art to another file.

Basically I have been using a LOT OF Graphic Styles to make some pretty complicated artwork, and I am finding myself direly in need of a way to fold away the parts of the complexity I'm not thinking about at the moment.

2 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Margaret Trauth shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base