Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

32 results found

1. 34 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

28 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Illustrator Keeps Crashing

Illustrator crashes every time I use it. I could be drawing for two minutes and it will crash out of nowhere. It often lags as well. I have the newest update and have tried uninstalling and installing it and still it continues to crash. I am using Windows 10 Pro with illustrator.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Paste in Place gets object pasted into its original layer and not a selected one

Copy an object (Cmd + C), then create a new layer, select it and Paste it in Place in the new layer — the object gets placed in tis original layer instead.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The 'Paste Remembers Layers' option in the Layers panel’s flyout menu regulates this behavior. When it is checked — Illustrator will honor the original layer of a copied artwork and paste it in the same layer, ignoring the selection of a layer.

However, if disabling this option does not help — please comment.

4. Rotate tool dialogue box won't appear

After selecting the rotate tool, rotate dialogue box won't appear.

a dialogue box will appear only if I double click on the rotate tool but then I am not able to move the anchor point to the center of the object.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Cannot copy from one layer and. paste to another....

After the latest update, copy and paste between layers is wonky. If I copy an item from one layer, it will only paste back into that layer. If I make the source layer hidden and try to paste, I get the "attempting to paste to locked/hidden layer" warning. I can select an object, then drag the small box that shows up in the layers panel to a new layer, but this is a bit awkward....

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This behavior is most probably cause by Paste Remembers Layers option, accessible in the Layers panel’s flyout menu.

When it’s enabled, Illustrator tries to paste copied objects into their original layers.

If the option it disabled, but it still does not work as you want it to, please reply back.

6. Hide edges not working

When choosing to hide edges of selected objects, 1 or more objects still have edges visible. I have resorted to back saving my documents as this feature is crucial for layouts.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As far as I know, the auto-keying an object in a selection was a bug introduced in one of versions, not caught in time and slipped into the release, later fixed.

Since no object is forced as a key right now, I assume there is no need in having its bold outline to be hidden when Hide Edges is active, since these two factors rarely meet... However, if you have a workflow that requires to have both — I encourage you to file it as a feature request with some examples.

7. Remebering fractional values in Extrude & Bevel

You can type in fractional values in Extrude & Bevel and they work fine, although AI rounds them up immediately in fields, though applies to the art.
    But when you try to save this appearance in Graphic style and then re-apply to another art, all fractional bits are gone, AI treats them as integers both ways.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Sorry about the issue, but the feature works that ways.

1) On applying Effects in fractional values, it gets applied immediately. While saving this appearance in Graphic style and then re-apply to another art it will work the same (as with fractional values)

2) While trying to edit already applied effects, the input details get’s rounded off. As a result, you have to enter fractional values for the precision.

I hope this info will be helpful.
    Incase you still face any issue get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Thanks

8. Expanding compound path causes a shift in the object shape

If I call Expand on a compound path, there is a shift in the width and height of the object. This seems to only be a problem when the stroke is in the center. If the stroke is inside or outside, there isn't a problem.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Illustrator can display width and height values respecting the width of strokes and effects, if you enable Use Preview Bounds option in Preferences > General. It also makes bounding box larger to fit them visually, hence the change in dimensions.
    When it’s off, only geometric shape is taken into account, ignoring stroke width or effects.
    When you expand the shape, the stroke is not a stroke anymore, but a filled path, that makes the overall group geometrically larger.

9. Copy text from illustrator and paste into word pastes as image and not editable text

Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Mack book pro MacOS high Sierra Version10.13.6.
    Microsoft Word Version16.23 (190309)

Copy text from illustrator (Command C) and paste it into Word (Command V) using shortcuts on keyboard the text does not come in to word as editable text but as a picture that I cannot edit.

I copy text from illustrator and past it into Word for editing and then past it back into Illustrator when I am done with the word editing. I do this for technical drawings, sketchbooks and any other 2D design and presentation work.
    Since 2011 until 2018 I was able to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If you right click in word you should get a paste as text option.
    Can you please contact Microsoft support. Like most applications we do promise text in clipboard along with other formats like svg, metafile etc…
    It is for word to pick any of these clipboard formats and consume.

10. Possible Bug - Crop Image Auto Resizing Crop Box in New CC Illustrator 2019

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or just a poorly executed new feature, but in the new Illustrator CC 2019 when you have a raster image in the file and you go to "Crop Image" the crop marquee automatically changes to a random size and shape instead of remaining at the edges of the image. I'm not sure if there is some hidden feature where it is trying to automatically detect where you might crop the image to by detecting the image edges, but this is super annoying when you are trying to do something like just adjusting…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You are referring to the content aware crop feature: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/whats-new.html#ContentAwareCrop

To turn this feature off please visit the Preference dialog (CMD+K) and turn off “Enable Content Aware defaults”

If I may suggest a workflow for you.
    1. Use linked images, they not only are fast but also save disk space.
    2. If you already have embedded images in your file, please use the unembed feature of Illustrator to export and link files automatically for you.
    3. All linked images have this feature of Edit Original where you can edit images in a software of your choice like Photoshop.
    4. If you have to share files to other users please make use of File menu>Package feature to collect everything including linked images and fonts in one directory.

11. Sellection tool won't let me resize shapes

I installed the new version of illustrator and since that I can´t resize shapes, text boxes, basically everything...
    I've alredy tried to uninstall and reinstall and I can´t still resize shapes
    can anybody help?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Image File open but not showing up

When using the latest version of Illustrator cc I open vector images the image file opens however it is not visible, I do get visibility briefly when the file is shut down or resized from maximised within the program. It is only a fleeting view and disappears again when reopened or maximised?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Illustrator doesn't find color profile, which are shown in Indesign

Hi everybody,

I installed an eci color profile (pso-coated_v3) on my windows 10 computer (right-mouse-click, then install). In Photoshop CC and Indesign CC everything is fine, so it is installed correctly. But the new profile isn't shown in Illustrator CC.

I reopened Illustrator and also de- and reinstalled it...

Does anybody has got an idea, why the new profile doesn't show in in the color-settings of Illustrator?

Thanks a lot!

Best wishes
    Rene

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. ガイド線が消せない。選択できない。

いくつかのファイルで、ガイド線を引いた後、選択もできず、消すこともできない状態に陥ります。ガイド線を一括非表示にした時に限り表示を一時的に消すことができます。印刷入稿などへ回しても現物に影響はないので良しとしていますが、作業にあたりとても邪魔で困っています。
    【マザーボード】
    ASUS PRIME B660-PLUS D4

【CPU】
    12th Gen intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12500

【CPUクーラー】
    DeepCool AK400

【メモリー】
    Corsair DDR4-3200(1600MHz) 16GB*4枚(64GB搭載)

【グラフィック】
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050

【OS】
    windows10 64bit

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Guides in Illustrator, unlike in InDesign, are considered to be objects and exist within layers. As per the comment by Ten_A, if your guides are contained within a locked layer, they won’t be selectable. 

If you wish to change this behavior, you should upvote this request: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/37211029-make-guides-to-be-like-in-indesign

15. Communicating with Adobe

Hi Adobe people,

I have a question about the communication with users. Under what circumstances does it make sense at all to post a comment/bug/idea/etc. in this place. Do users get heard? Is there a limit of votes above which ideas are actually implemented? How are decisions about what is fixed and what not made?

I am asking because I have so many points collected over the years that I am planning to post. But this is kind of a lot of work on the side of regular work day that I want to make sure it is worth the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Incorrect file extension when exporting to *.png

Hello! When I try to export an illustration to *.png, the file generated ends up with a *.dwg extension. If I rename the *.dwg-file to *.png and open it it's still a valid *.png file.

The export is done using File->Export->Export As... Select *.png as file type, type a filename (with no dot in it), press Export. Select Resolution 150ppi, press ok. A *.dwg file is now created at the selected path

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Option + Enter (on keypad) doesn't work anymore to produce a copy

OS x 10.14.6

Illustrator 23.0.6

When using dialogue boxes for scale, rotate move etc, after inputting numbers i used to be able to hit option + enter (next to the keypad) and it would create a copy of whatever I element i was scaling, rotating, moving. This doesn't work anymore. nothing happens. I have to hit option + return for this to work. It used to work a few versions ago. Can you please change it back. it's super annoying inputting numbers on the keypad and not being able to hit the enter key next to the keypad to create…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Some of AI file paths disappear when exporting to PNG or JPG

A simple AI file containing the logo and text (all outlined) is saved fine as AI or PDF, but if I try to export it to PNG or JPG, some of the paths contained within the image disappear and are not rendered in the resulting raster file. I am attaching the master AI file, and the rendered PNG file (created by going to File > Export As > PNG). As you will see, the rendered PNG file is missing the ALFRA name within the square white shape. FYI, I sent the file over to a friend of mine and he…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Constantly Crashes while opening file in newest AI v23.0.2

Repeated Crashes while trying to open AI file
    Unistalled and Installed again
    Issue persists

Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
    Processor Interl(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.60 GHz
    Installed RAM 8.00 GB

Illustrator version 23.0.2 (64-bit)
    SYSTEM INFO attached

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. What video formats can we upload to bug requests?

I used to be able to upload videos to the bug reports but now no matter what format I seem to choose, I get a note that the format cannot upload. Furthermore, the bug report gets posted anyway without notice so if I try to upload a different format the post is double posted.

Can you please tell us what types of formats are allowed?

Can you change the bug report form so that when an unsupported video format is selected there's a warning or indication before pressing the post idea button OR if an unsupported format is selected and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We receive videos in form of .mov, .mp4 and at times even .mpg.
    This portal allows attachments up to 50 mb and you can use any format for it. Is it possible there is a software or an browser extention that is troubling you. Can you please try this bug form from another browser or computer.

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base