Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Artboards window: Add search bar. Also, be able to rearrange the actual artboards alphabetically in the document.

It would be very helpful to alphabetically sort the actual artboard in the document as well as in the artboard window. Search bar would also help with organizing large quantities of artboards.

Asset Export: Add the ability to select portions of an artboard and have it automatically retain the artboard name when pulled into asset export instead of a generic "Asset xxx" name.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Guides with option to limit to single artboard

It would be great to have an option to limit guides pulled out from the ruler to be limited to the currently active artboard - rather than run across the whole canvas. This would avoid unwanted guides falling across every artboard in the document.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Smart guides to work with artboard

I suggest enabling smart guides when you work with artboards as well, feels like it should help with workflow.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bring back "hide edges" for type within a paragraph

I used to be able to select a line of type, hide edges, and then view how various fonts looked (without seeing the type bar that show's it's selected). Not being able to do this has greatly slowed down my process. Please bring back "Hide Edges" for selected type within a paragraph.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Separate rulers for art boards

Could we get individual rulers per art board. This would make it easier to see spacing and relationships on individual boards.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. always auto alignment / scale to fit to artboard for dragging in assets

when drag in assets, able to pop up selection to tick, able to remember the settings and able to unable it at preference settings.

below is the option.

[ always auto align center artboard ]
    * able to select alignment point for example top left, bottom right etc

[ always scale to fit artboard ]

[ always scale to certain percentage ]

main purpose - to further shorten working time

Thanks. Adobe.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Align to...BUTTON

In a past version of AI, the "align to artboard or selection" was a button rather than a menu. Please bring back the button! I switch between these two options hundreds of times a week and the menu wastes time that adds up.

Thanks so much always!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Can we have master artboards for Illustrator, the way we do for In Design??

I do so much illustration on my projects that it's not practical to use In Design for layout, so I use Illustrator for everything and it's almost perfect. The one thing I find I'm consistently missing is the ability to assign templates to certain artboards (like a master artboard.) I can't use "paste to all artboards" for this, because often I am doing book format with A/B. Sometimes, I'm doing student/teacher guides where the looks need to be differentiated.

Can we get the ability to assign some artboards to another so that they can update dynamically if we change them…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. New document preset details fields tab order

When creating a new document in both Illustrator and Photoshop the Preset Details tab order is frustrating. It would make more sense to enter a width in the field then hit tab to go to height field. Currently it tabs from width to units to height.
    I often enter a width hit tab and enter what I think is a height only to find it's sitting on the units dropdown.
    InDesign has this tab order correct and is much more sensible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Provide an option for making artboard names visible on the artboard (like when editing artboards). This would be so helpful!

Provide an option in Adobe Illustrator to show artboard names on the artboard/on top of the artboard (like when editing artboards). This visible naming would greatly help to keep artboards organized in large, multiple artboard files.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. alt click or click to create artboard and open artboard dimensions

Alt Click in artboard work space to set location AND open an artboard dimensions dialog box. At present we have to draw an artboard and then go edit the dimensions. Currently its 2 clicks and a couple of drags, instead of just one click with the proposal above.

Also most other tools have "Alt Click" features enabled, think "square" "rotate" "scale". etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Repeat grid option

I believe that in Adobe's software like Adobe xd, we can also have a Repeat Grid option which will work fast as the brochure and all other.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. There's a weird bug that affects anchor points when aligning to an artboard.

There's a weird bug that affects anchor points when aligning to an artboard. It won't align in any way. PLEASE FIX

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to reset Canvas Size

After the new update (24.2.1) some plug-ins are getting confused by the scaled Canvas (acting as if the artwork is 10% of actual scale, while the rulers in Illustrator itself are showing correct values). So it would be nice to be able to reset the canvas size or even auto reset once the Artwork / Artboards drop back down below the canvas limit.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make Y direction POSITIVE numbers above the Y "zero" point like in the rest of world.

Align Illustrator with the rest of the world by making the default Y direction positive numbers above the Y "zero" point - in my case zero is set to the very center of the Artboard.

And also make this a preference item across CC apps. I still don't see how it's an advantage in InDesign and Photoshop.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Delete artwork together with art board

There are times you want to delete artworks and the art boards as well. It would be lovely to do both in one command.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. New document without symbols, brushes, graphic styles

New documents are pre-filled with unwanted symbols, brushes and graphic styles that bloat the documents. I always have to go in and delete these to keep file size down, especially when saving as EPS for logos, etc.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Ability to change the Canvas size after a new document is created

The new expanded canvas size is great, but I think there should be an option to change the canvas size from the standard one to the expanded one after a document is created instead of having to create a new document.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Automatically incorporate the .jpeg .png name into the artboard name

When working with multiple assets (png's and jpegs) and wish to import them in a document for various purposes: resize, remake them as vector for "overwrite" purpose it would be really helpful to:

When importing a .jpeg or a .png file into a document, by clicking on the .png or .jpeg with the arboard tool, instead of creating a generic name, the artboard tool should "take" the name of the file automatically.

When working with hundreds of small assets, it is very painful having to rename every single file in order to batch export them.

Very helpful in, mobile, web…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base