1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

157 results found

1. Default input in Color Picker

Older versions of Illustrator used to default in "Hex" field of the Color Picker, but now the default is in "H" of HSB. This breaks up the workflow when copying a low of colors.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. the ability to zoom in on the gradient panel for complex gradients

the ability to zoom in on the gradient panel for complex gradients. If I am creating a gradient some time I feel like I need to zoom into the panel so I can ensure I get the color pointers as accurate as possible

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. CANT RE-GROUP THE VECTORIZED TEXT WHY?

when the text is vectorized i cant Group after Un Grouping them ve to make a object in group so it workt the same way i Group the objects by Right click >Group

what i need is.
    on Vectorizing the Text and ungrouping them .. gives me the availability to Group them back again.

thanks
    Awaiting for Repl

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Can't place the anchor point at the spot I want

Anchor point keeps on placing at the spot I do not want. If I click on the canvas to place an anchor point, it places distances away from where I wish to place.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Fix blending of strokes

As described in this discussion (from 4 years ago!) - https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1291256 - in most cases when you apply a blend to two strokes with any profile other than uniform, the intermediate stages of the blended strokes do not have any profile applied to them. I believe this has been a problem at least as far back as the introduction of variable width strokes, and has still not been resolved. This seriously hampers the usefulness of the blend tool and massively increases the amount of time required to produce the desired effect.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Aligning to a certain object

The Align tools in all Adobe programs is a wonderful feature. However, in Illustrator when you Align objects it changes the position of ALL of them. In other programs, it tends to be the last object you select takes the dominant position - aligning all others to it. In Illustrator it doesn't seem to matter the order you select, it just aligns it to the nearest center point (thus moving ALL the objects). The Lock feature doesn't help as you cannot select a locked object to align with/to.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Position elements relative to artboards.

Since several improvements to artboards are in the pipeline, I think It would be worth considering positioning elements relative to the top left corner of the artboard. I haven't found a good use for keyboard entry of x and y positions. Positioning elements relatively would make it relatively easy to maintain padding / grids across multiple artboards by entering an exact value.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Replace objects with an object

example:
    I have created a circle with text in it, and grouped it all together, however I have a pattern of Circles, and only want some of the circles in the pattern to look like the one I have created and grouped, so I can click the ones I want to replace, and then with a tool, select the group I've created, and it will replace the ones I've selected. Not too sure if this feature exists, though it would be a beneficial tool to have.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The intended solution for this is to use Global Edit feature.

Copy the object you want to replace with, then select one of many copies you want to replace and use Select > Start Global Edit command.

Using Shift, unmark those copies you don’t want to affect.

Isolate the targeted copy.

Paste the copied object and position it correctly relatively the old object.

Delete the old object.

Exit the isolation and end Global Edit.

It may sound convoluted at first, but once you master the method, you’d be able to easily replace almost anything.

Global Edit has its limitations: it doesn’t work for images, text objects, clipped masks, linked objects, and third-party plugins.

Read more about it here: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/global-edit.html

9. Delete hidden layers

Would it be great if add the option of deleting all hidden layers as in photoshop..

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    There is a command in the Layers panel’s menu, called Delete Hidden Layers... Unfortunately, it deletes not only hidden layers, but also all hidden content. There is a separate request to rename the comment or add another, to distinct two operations: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/43634643-delete-hidden-layers-command-innapropriately-nam Please vote. Also, there is another request to delete unused/empty layers: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/40696027-delete-unused-layers
  10. Copy the style of stroke when using eyedropper tool

When I use the eyedropper tool on a stroke with arrowhead, the full style does not get copied - only color and weight (not arrowhead). I think it is expected for the arrowhead to get copied too, just like the color AND font get copied when you use the eyedropper tool on text.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    As mentioned in comments, arrowheads are strangely the part of Appearance and not the basic stroke, and to get it copied you should tick 'Appearance' in Eyedropper tool settings (hit Enter when the tool is chosen). Then everything works. Please comment back if it does not for you.
  11. Change shortcut for paste in place/paste on all artboards to match Indesign

I'm in a workflow where I work simultaneously with Illustrator and Indesign, linking illustrator files to indesign (they could probably be integrated more!).

However, it is probably my most irritated moments when I realize I have used cmd-alt-shift-V (shortcut to paste in place in Indesign) instead of cmd-shift-V. If you work on one artboard, it looks the same, and you don't realize your mistake until you go to another artboard and see that the pasted thing has been pasted on all artboards. And you've worked far enough to not having the possibility to undo...

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Eyedropper shortcut

If I have a box with a gradient stroke (as an example) and I want to then fill it, if I use the eyedropper to grab the color from another object, it overrides and deletes the stoke. I would like to be able to use the eyedropper on fill or stroke without deleting it's counterpart. Right now it's a long process of clicking off my shape, eyedropping the color, copying the color value, reselecting the object, double clicking the fill or stroke, and pasting in the value. It adds up to a lot of time lost for something that should…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To make Eyedropper pick and apply only fill, without modifying the stroke, you need to open the tool’s options, and uncheck the ‘Focal Stroke’ option in the left column. This will force Illustrator to ignore the stroke from the source object, and your target object will keep its original stroke.

Use other options there to fine tune the tool to your needs.

There is a similar resolved request that is about the same thing — https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/38241262

13. Unlink assets from Creative Libraries

After I drop an asset from the library in a document, I want to be able to unlink it, and remove dependencies to an external library.
    In my case, I'm using library to build products that I'm selling, so when I export the products for sale, I need to remove the dependencies to these libraries.

Any designer who sell his products, or share with people external to a team, would have the same need.

We need to keep the flexibility of using a library (to update changes through multiple documents), but we need to make these documents self sufficient.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As stated in the comments, one can place a library item as an unlinked copy with Opt/Alt+dragging on canvas. To embed linked copies, a user can press the Embed button in Control / Properties panels, or choose Embed Image(s) command from the Links panel's flyout menu.

14. Mapping artwork on 3d object surface

Now we need every time to convert /or update/ artwork into symbol before mapping in on the surface of 3D objects that are created with 3d effects. That process is annoying and complex. Simplifying of that can help profs and beginners to use it quickly and pass some steps.

Now many programs like Adobe Dimension CC, 3d paint allows to do that very easy and in real time.

Also adding some new feature like uv maps or tiling 3d effects can be very helpful.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Modern 3D and Materials allows to map symbols directly on a object on canvas, across its multiple surfaces. A user can move it, rotate, scale.

The tech is not perfect still, and it won’t be supported for now Classic #D effects, but is potent enough already to try.

15. Copy parts from multiple layers into multiple layers

I work with a lot of parts that I need to keep separated for output. A simple example is a complex, compound shape with 20 elements. I have 10 on a "cut" layer and 10 on a "print" layer. If I copy and paste them, I can only paste them into one layer. I might want them to go back into the same layers or into 2 new layers. I never want them in the same layer. I now have to go in and separate them all into the proper layers.

This is important because the layers tell our output…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You can enable Paste Remembers Layers in the panel’s menu to make Illustrator remember layers your objects were copied from and insert them on layers with same name when pasted. If these layers don’t exist, Illustrator will create them. Be careful and disable it when not needed, if might make a mess when not needed. Also note that with this option enable everything copied from an isolation mode creates a separate 'Isolation mode' layer, which is stupid — vote here if you think this should be addressed: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/37935496-paste-remembers-layers-bug-with-isolation-mode
  16. I would like to pick a colour from the fill for the stroke

I would like to pick a colour from the fill for the stroke.

So if I choose fill to be the main I would like to change it regardless if I am picking from the fill or the stroke.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Block no selected objects

Hi there,

I would like to ask adobe for:

Some kind of hotkey which block/freeze "no selected objects" so when you are working you don't worry about select/move/delete other objects by mistake.

Also very helpful when you are selecting those tiny anchor points.

For 2017 christmas please ;-)

Thanks,
    Marco B.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Extended Tools Panel

Less frequently used tools (in my case: Scissors, Paint Bucket) are hard to find in the standard Tools Palette. Wouldn't it be great when Illustrator had a preset to show all tools at a glance (on my 30" screen...)?

I know that it is possible to create custom tools panels - but especially when creating those, it's nice to have a view on all tools at once!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. No strokes on linked files

Illustrator CC 2017 (up to date) Windows 64bit
    Place a linked file, eg. a jpg
    Add a stroke to the linked file object in the appearance panel
    Try and change the stroke weight.
    Expected a stroke. like any other.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To have strokes around your linked images, you should do some additional steps:

1. Apply a stroke (obviously)

2. Open Appearance panel

3. Focus the applied stroke attribute

4. Apply Path > Outline Object effect

It should be placed 'inside' of the stroke attribute, not the object itself. You can always drag-n-drop it if you missed.

Why does it work?

The image does not have a path for a stroke to be applied to. If you aplly the effect to the image directly, its pixel data is replaced by a path around the bounding box. Applied to stroke, it give it 'rails' to be stroked along.

Not easy to grasp, but once you get it, Appearance panel becomes your best friend.

20. Remove F1 key as help key

I use the F-keys frequently for Actions. However, F1 is defaulted to launching Illustrator's help screen and I'm regularly hitting the key by mistake. Could we please have a different way to launch the help screen and free up the F1 key for other, customisable, uses?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you Ryan for your help.
    Here is the way to customise the keys – please thank Ryan if you found it useful.

“You can go to edit/keyboard shortcuts, then choose menu commands. Find help, and clear the F1 key from it or pick it as another one. Save it as your own custom keyboard preset and you’re good to go.”

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base