When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make Knife tool work with smart guides

Knife is a very freehand tool, but you can make straight cuts, if you hold Alt. Cool. But you can't position these cuts precisely! Nor with a smart guides (at least!) or Snap to grid.
    Please improve it!

60 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Better Smart Guides

Can you guys PLEASE make 'Smart Guides' better? For example, I work with product UI/Graphics and I'm always having to zoom in 1400% to clearly align and place objects on top of other objects, but the snapping is NOT GOOD AT ALL... Can you guys make things snap to each other like other programs are able to do so like CAD programs etc...

42 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Tangent Constraint or Advanced snapping system

I work in Illustrator all the time and I ask my self why or how can I snap a line or a shape to the tangent of another shape like Autodesk AutoCAD's "Tangent Constraint", some say that I can start with the Line Segment tool and go from there building the shape, but this option will give me a limited movement and it's not practical like if we have a tangent constraint in Illustrator so we can build logos and shapes more easier and that will make illustrator go to perfection more and more.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow Artboards to snap to the grid

I'm working on a heavily modular layout and the modules are snapping to the grid nicely. However when duplicating the artboard, the artboard will not snap to the grid.

This therefore throws the modules slightly off the grid as the Artboard position has to be matched by eye.

I've also downloaded and tried the CC 2019 pre-release and it still does not allow snapping of artboards to the grid.

Please fix this, thanks.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 24.3.0 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

5. Ability to toggle snap on/off while moving individual points

I want snap to be on almost all the time. I only need it off to move a point or two.
    I would like a single key to hold down that would turn off snap while I move that single point.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Enable smart guides with Measure Tool

Measure tool just doesn't work with smart guides.
    At all.
    Why? Why?!

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Gradient don't snap to grid when Snap to grid is on

I can't believe I haven't posted it, but search says so.
    Since CS4, I guess, when cool and fance gradient annotator showed up, gradient tool had lost it's ability to snap to grid. WHY? Do you think nobody needs to snap gradients? I need, at least.
    It should also snap to Smart guides!

Everything must snap to grid, when Snap to grid is enabled.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Option for Smart guides to ignore objects outside isolation

Sometimes you want to isolate certain objects to not mess with everything else. Unfortunatelly, you can't isolate parts of different groups (but that is the other topic—'making isolation more like 'solo' in AE). But enve when you have isoalted something, Smart guides still want to snap to objects other then you want to work with. Sometimes it's fine, yeah, but mostly I want SG to ignore everything else but isolated stuff. Please make a tick somewhere for this.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Smart Guides limited to current artboard

An option to have Smart Guides only snap to things that are actually on the current artboard.

It's annoying to be working on an empty artboard and have everything snap to things far off the screen on some other artboards. That can be pretty annoying.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Smart Guides and Snap To Grid mutually exclusive - please support both

"Smart Guides" and "Snap to Grid" are currently mutually exclusive which is very troublesome. I don't see the immediate connection, even if I want to have my objects snap to a grid I'd still liket to use Smart Guides, especially for creating Squares, Circles and the like.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Snapping  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Smart Guide not working properly

Smart Guide not working properly. Every time AI start up, I have to uncheck the Smart Guide and check again to make it work. Its definitely

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Snapping unexpectedly disabled when drawing to an Artboard edge

When using the rectangle tool or other drawing tools, you can snap to the edge of an artboard, but you cannot snap to grid lines that intersect with the artboard edge.

This makes things complicated if you are designing relative to the artboard all the time with Snap to Grid or Snap to Pixel enabled. I have to workaround it, snapping inside or outside the artboard edge first, then moving the point an exact increment to match where the artboard edge and grid line intersect.

Notice that in my screen recording, this happens even at the beginning when I first…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Show Smart guides when using Curvature Tool

When using the curvature tool to creat a symmetric curve, it would be nice when smart guides (to the center) are shown.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make smart guides stop working with Ctrl key pressed, as in Photoshop and InDesign

The function of disabling smart guides by pressing the Ctrl key in Photoshop and InDesign, allows you to adjust the position of an object more accurately without having to go to the menu to disable them.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Snap to Stroke width option

The addition of the snap-to-glyph functionality that was added to the type tool recently, it could be useful to have the option to snap to the outside width of a stroke (i.e. the where the path would be if a stroke were expanded into a shape), perhaps with a zoom or stroke size threshold to prevent mis-snapping at broader scale.

This could be particularly useful when try to align an object to a path with either a variable width stroke or multiple strokes applied. It would also allow for more precise alignment to the end of open paths that have…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Temporarily disable snapping while dragging objects or anchor points

Currently when you move objects or anchor points while you have Snap to Point and/or Smart Guides turned on it is necessary to stop what you're doing and switch them off then switch them back on again when you've finished moving.

This is very disruptive to workflow. Productivity would be significantly increased if there was a modifier key set to disable all snapping while moving an object or anchor.

Obviously all modifier keys and combinations are currently used up for use before clicking an object or starting a process. However the control key (similar to its function in Photoshop) or…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Make the artboard centre mark smart guide aware for shape reference points

I should be able to drag the rotation reference point to the centre mark of an artboard and that process be simple but it's never accurate enough. A simple fix might be to make smart guides / shape reference points aware of one another so that I can drag / Alt-click near enough to it and Illustrator recognises where I want the reference point to be set to.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Activating the middle of a path

In CorelDraw, the centres of paths are 'magnetic', so that, for example, guide lines can snap there. To find the centre in Illustrtor I have to add a point via script or AG PathScribe, which otherwise only inflates the document.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Line relations

In SOLIDWORKS there is a feature to assign lines/shapes a relationship (parallel, perpendicular for straight lines; concentric, cordial for circles; etc.). And one of the most useful is the tangent relationship.

I would like to be able to, with the click of a button, assign a pair of lines/shapes a certain relationship that is persistent and updates all related elements when moved, rotated, etc. This would be similar to the join commant that allows two points to be connected and act as a single piece.

This would speed up a lot of the work I do with icons etc, where…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make Smart Guides work with Library assets

Precise work with Library assets is difficult/impossible because it's treated differently by Smart Guides/snapping than normal artwork.

• Object Highlighting only shows a Library asset's edge/container, not its contents
    • Anchor/Path Labels are not displayed on placed Library assets
    • It's not possible to grab/move placed Library assets based on its content's paths or anchors, making it impossible to place precisely
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base