Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

543 results found

1. Add more essential features to touch mode in illustrator

Really essential features like the eyedropper tool, having the tools available at the top (like clipping mask, gaussian blur), and the essential properties panel (with pathfinder and align) as an openable tab (where colours or weight is in touch mode at the moment on the right) would be great.

This is because I often find myself switching between essentials and touch on my laptop when I am completing my coursework, which means that I am lagging behind my class and sometimes switching so frequently between tablet and laptop modes physically makes my laptop stuck on one of these modes, causing…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Better support when Expanding shapes that have a Mask like "Draw Inside"

Normally when creating a clean vector logo the process involves expanding appearance and cleaning up the shape, but if the Draw Inside or a Mask is used the result may look verry different from the original shape. No warning that the appearance is altered is given.

Workaround is to export the part of the illustration that contains "Draw Inside" objects as a PDF, I would use Asset Export Panel. Plaxe the asset and then Expand. This is a work around, and requires the asset to appear at the exact same spot.

A video explaining the work around https://youtu.be/ziTS7VYdacQ

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Variables issues with images paths

Hi all,
    am currently using "Data merge using the Variables panel". The following article does not have enough information for me: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/data-driven-graphics-templates-variables.html
    The issue lies with the photos
    My photos are not stored locally but in our company's shared google drive folder
    So instead of having a link: C:\Photos\BillTucker.jpg this is how an image link would look like: /Volumes/GoogleDrive/My Drive/Automation/scljwhj2uqvn8ajetqhn.png
    From the article, I've understood that it can not contain blank spaces. I wanted to know if there was a way around and if other users have had this issue.

Thanks in advance

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Export revisions only

When making minor updates to an existing presentation or pdf, option to "Export Revisions Only" to an existing file name or pdf - similar to Adobe Acrobat's new feature to detect changes between similar documents, this feature allows you export/update only the pages with revisions into an existing .pdf file. This saves a lot of export time when a client asks for several small revisions to a 10-20+ page presentation or document.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Make Smooth command to have the persist/sticky option

I like the new Smooth command and I'm using it frequently enough that it would be nice to have a persist/sticky option for it instead of repeatedly going back to the Object menu.

Also, I find that smoothing of 20% works well for a lot of shapes I'm editing but could the bar be enhanced with a few click-to bars to speed up this process (see attached). Maybe include this for the Simplify command as well.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. New improved search and Help (Discover) in Illustrator

Announcing a completely new search and help experience in Illustrator. The new 'Discover' feature allows you to search for help, tools, hands-on tutorials, and articles within the Illustrator app. You can use the Discover panel search bar to access the full repository of tools, in-app tutorials, and articles, to help you build your skills. Search offers auto-complete suggestions including suggested content, tool shortcuts, and quick links. You can invoke help using the search icon on the top right corner or through the Help menu.
    We are also bringing New Rich Tool Tips into Illustrator which allow you to quickly learn…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Symbols  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Editable path smoothing for pencil and brush paths

I'm proposing smoothing that may be applied or removed after a path has been created with the pencil or brush tool by the user. When a path is being created, the program would capture necessary coordinate information and the path would be represented on screen as drawn, or with a certain amount of smoothing (set prior to drawing in tool panel). If the user wanted more or less smoothing applied after creating the path, the amount could be adjusted by selecting the path and changing the amount applied. If the path would no longer need adjusting, it could be expanded…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. These properties should now be

1- Gradient panel > for gradient sliders > eyedropper is must be active
    2- Swatch or color panel > right click must be active > for stroke color
    3- Asset export panel > only selection out export ( fit to select art )

These are the properties that should be. When will he come?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Can you focus updates to really work? Please do proper testing. I'm tired of contacting customer service very month

I contact customer service at least once a month, and before, when i got the program without online creative suite i never had to contact anyone, it worked amazingly, and now.. literally every update is a nightmare.. please stop doing updates for the sake of doing updates, take the monthly money but make something that we can rely on. not a program that makes my life harder... now i can't open files i used 20 days ago because a plug in, Ai 2019 and 2020 not compatible? Please// this is ridic

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Adobe color themes bug

The "Open Color Themes Panel" button in Swatches opens a broken panel that cannot be resized to see it's web view. It can only be resized vertically. Seems like it went unchecked and shipped.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Option to assign chosen profile selection to all open documents in Missing Profile box

When opening a project, I frequently have to choose either not to colour manage or I have to assign a particular profile to the document due to working with a number of different print houses. As I can sometimes open 10-20 documents at a time to edit them, would it be possible to assign the designated choice to all open documents at the same time, i.e., have a selection box you can tick to 'Apply selected profile option to all open projects'?

Currently it is really laborious choosing the profile for each individual file as it opens.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Exchange entire Illustrator Team!

Two decades of leading customers around with this (still) child [Illustrator] is enough. Just lay down your work dear current Illustrator Team! You won't get anywhere, and let new people start over. It is 20 Years now since I've started with Illustrator (post Macromedia (RIP) Freehand) and it still sucks so hard. Unbelievable that Shantanu Narayen (Adobe CEO) does not seeing this. Wasted companies money and nerves of millions of users. Get a life.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. File Save Options - Recovery data location

I'm running the latest version of Illustrator (26.2.1 as I'm writing this) but my data recovery preferences are somehow stuck at the location for Illustrator 20 and the application warns me every time that it can't save recovery data for the current document. I can change this, I know, but that still just keeps it then stuck at the location for version 26, and will presumably break again when version 27 is released.
    What I need is some way to restore the default behaviour which would (presumably) automatically update to the correct relative location for the current application version.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. search tool in libraries

Adding a search tool in my library panel would be helpful, thank you.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Declined  ·  Yogesh Sharma responded

There is a Search bar in Libraries, which searches from Adobe Stock by default, and there is a dropdown where you can choose whether to search through current/all libraries.

-Yogesh

16. Different number of copies for each artboard

Hi,

I've a document in Illustrator with a lot of pages (artboards).

I must print a specific number of copies for each page.

Example: for the page number one I must print 20 copies, for the page two I must print 60 copies, ecc

Is there a way to forward this request with one command or I must select one by one page?

I've found this trick but is very complicated if I've a lot of pages to print: in the label of range of artboards I write : 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,5,5,5,5,5,ecc

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Print  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Color themes scroll bar

The Color Themes panel in Illustrator does not have a scroll bar. I am using a Wacom tablet, but the Color Themes panel does not scroll even when I have assigned the function "scroll" to its scroll bar. I can scroll in other applications, both Adobe and others, so it doesn't seem like the fault of the tablet or tablet driver. The fact that there is no scroll bar in the default UI so it can be used with any input device is a glaring oversight. The panel is nearly useless without one.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Unless I'm missing something, please export graphics to the exact same dimensions they were designed to be. Do not add arbitary padding.

In all good conscience I feel like I absolutely have to be missing something here. But time and time again, upon exporting some UI graphics from AI, they turn out to be wider and taller than they were designed to be. Is this padding arbitrary? How was it even determined that these pixels would be added to the exported assets? Am I truly missing something?

I mocked something up in XD, but after creating a few UI elements it was apparent that XD is nowhere near up to the task for making full-fledged graphics. No biggie, I was a little…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Top toolbar should display true length and width of shapes, not the "properties" of the shape.

It's very confusing when you reference the top toolbar to see the length and width of a shape only to realize the values are completely wrong. This is because the top toolbar displays the "properties" of a shape for whatever reason. The length of an object should always be the longest horizontal measurement, and the height should always be the longest vertical measurement, regardless of rotation. Despite not displaying true length and width, the toolbar uses symbols which clearly indicate length and width: a double ended horizontal arrow first, then a double ended vertical arrow second. Unless a user clicks…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Implement the SVG 2 'arcs' line join as an option for corners

it could be a corner option on the line panel

1 vote