When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Illustrator - Rotation of the Artboard

Like in Photoshop it would be great if an Artist could rotate the artboard/canvas in Illustrator. If you draw a line from left to right it's never the same stroke as from up to down.

685 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

281 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Everyone!

First up, let me apologize for not giving an update for such a long time. We will try to do a better job of providing frequent updates on our top requests going forward. This is not an excuse for lack of communication from our side, but we have been discussing this request for a long time internally. Without getting into too many technical details, let me share that there is a fair amount of complexity involved in making it work within Illustrator. The number of tools, effects, plugins, etc. makes it even more challenging. However, given the fact that it continues to be one of the top requests, the team has been exploring different approaches to implement it. I am happy to share that we have finally :) started to work on it. There would be some challenges in making everything work in the first release. I will…

2. Allow gradient swatches to be added to CC library

It's great to have colors in the cc library but why can't those colors be gradients too? Please allow us to add gradient swatches to the cc library. Thanks

532 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  103 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make Illustrator multi threaded on CPU

Illustrator performance is awful, its slow and lumbering at all but the most basic operations. It is bound to only a single cpu thread which is ridiculous now in an age of multi core and multi thread CPU's and it has been this way for many years. It cannot handle background tasks and is completely out of parity in function and performance with other Adobe software such as photoshop and inDesign.

506 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  117 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Introduce Undo History panel

Please introduce Undo panel to Adobe Illustrator, listing all the steps that have been performed on a document during the current session, so one can quickly switch between any previous state and current state after testing a number of changes by clicking any item in the displayed Undo stack.

See this Adobe Forums thread for details:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/9801291

501 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

97 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Automatic dimension/measuring tool please

A tool to automatically dimension signs would be an advantage to those of us working in the sign industry who create visuals for clients. It would also assist in maintaining accuracy of the artwork created and automatic checking device. This with the removal of the artboard size limitation would create a full working drawing platform for the manufacture of large signs for the retail industry.

467 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

170 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need More Info  ·  Yogesh Sharma responded

A couple of questions on this:

1. Would it be okay to have a separate spec creation service much like the upcoming Adobe XD service? On this service, anyone with a link, can select any objects, and view its dimensions (W/H), colors, fonts etc. Or should it be inside Illustrator.

2. Are you only going to create horizontal, and vertical dimensions? Or would you also like to have angular dimensions as well?

Please share more details about your workflow.

Thanks,
    Yogesh

6. Drag-and-Drop Swatches to Artboard

This functionality wouldn't change the swatches palette it, but would allow users to drag a swatch to the artboard and drop it. You could tile several to create a tonal family or brand color set.

Being able to scale them larger, arrange them, reformat the grid, turn the white gap off in between colors would improve color adjustment and comparing hues side by side. They'd function like the existing swatches panel in that you could have a shape or stroke selected and apply the color by clicking the swatch on the artboard.

This would help in color exploration and creating…

371 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

91 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. text align vertically

Allow text to be vertically centered in text box.

In InDesign, there is an option in the text frame properties, "Vertical Justification", with a "Center" option.

Or, the "baseline shift" option could be split into either specifying a number, as it is now, or specifying "center in text box".

This option is very important sometimes, such as having a tag symbol (e.g. circle) with a label inside that is either 1 or 2 lines high. Right now I have to have 2 paragraph styles (1 for 1-line text and 1 for 2-line text) so the 1 line text is in…

320 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

81 comments  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Grammarly support for Illustrator and InDesign

Incorporating a Grammarly integration as part of the CC membership for Illustrator and InDesign would be INCREDIBLY helpful for many users. Even though these applications aren't word-processors, being able to reveiw documents for style etc. would be a huge bonus in my opinion.

318 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

146 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have passed this request along to Grammarly and that while Grammarly thought it would be useful, they’re unable to prioritize it at this time.

9. "Hyphenate" not be the default paragraph option

By default, paragraph text is set to hyphenate words that don't fit into the text box. I suggest that the default is to have text not be hyphenated so you can click the box if you want it to be.

No one I know has ever wanted hyphenated words in text, but you have to uncheck the "Hyphenate" box from the Paragraph Palette, it's annoying to have to do that every time I make a new paragraph or paragraph style. (same problem in indesign)

296 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Illustrator - Select more than one layer at once

Okay if you have more than one layer...let's say 50 and I need to select 20 of them. Why can't someone select them with a single click instead of selecting every single layer? With shift selected I can mark more than one but they aren't selected. Same thing for sublayers and so on.

262 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

62 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Rasterize effect of bitmap is too simple

Please add some other algorithm in rasterize effect of bitmap.
    in Photoshop we have pattern dither, Diffusion dither, halftone screen, custom pattern Or in Corel Photo Paint we have line art, Ordered , Jarvis, Stuki , floyd-steinberg, halfton, cardinality distribution But in illustrater we have only one algorithm.
    also please able us to choose color of rastered pixels. it is very important because some times graphists add this effect to gradient or mesh gradient but they like another color instead of black color and transparent instead of white

246 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Improve Graph / Chart tool

Current graph tool in Illustrator has many limitations that need fixing. Following are some of the problems in Graph tool:

No value labels

Data window that requires you to remove characters such as commas

Resetting of chart upon making changes

Resizing issues (e.g. with bounding box)

Missing basic chart types like *****

No support for templates

Also the tool doesn't support making new chart types, such as attaching data to any attribute of the artwork.

240 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

139 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need More Info  ·  Yogesh Sharma responded

Please share your thoughts on the following:

1. Would it make sense to have a separate desktop app, just to create charts, and bring them inside Illustrator or InDesign? It may not be on cloud.

2. Or would you rather have us work on building it within Illustrator?

Thanks
    Yogesh

13. Resize artboard&art inside it simultaneously

I just want to resize both artboard and art inside it.
    Currently, I've used beta 22.0.0, I can multiple select artboards, but I can't just scale art with artboard, I need to scale each one separately. Or scale art, then select Object->Artboards-> Fit To Selected Art...

But I want just like Ctrl+Mouse to scale them both.

208 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Added To Backlog  ·  35 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Smart Guides when hovering over object and holding Cmd / Ctrl

In Photoshop, when you hover over an object and hold Cmd / Ctrl, there is a distance display. Please add this in Illustrator.

196 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Custom presets for Asset Export

When adding in your own custom sizes and suffixes into the Asset Export panel it would be nice to be able to save these out as a preset for later use.

For my job I have to export the same image into 20-30 different sizes with individual names (suffixes) that don't change. That's why I thought it would be good if you could set up all the file sizes and names once then save it out as preset for later use or to even share with a colleague.

It would speed up the workflow for many people if this was…

165 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

54 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Select > Same > Font (Size/ Style/ Typeface / Size& Style / Size and Typeface)

Extend the select menu items to include options for selecting type variations.

160 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Keyboard shortcuts for align/distribute.

I miss having keyboard shortcuts for align/distribute from my CorelDraw days. I'm a pro designer in a fast turnaround environment, and keyboard shortcuts are essential to my workflow.

As far as I know, the numeric keypad isn't being used in Illustrator. My proposal is: Pressing 0 toggles between absolute to the artboard or relative to last item selected. Pressing 2, 4, 5, 6, 8 will perform the align .2 = bottom, 4 = left, 5 = centre, 6 = right, 8 = top. Additionally 7 = distribute horizontal, 9 = distribute vertical.

Also, please copy the CorelDraw keyboard shortcut Tab…

157 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

64 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Vector Halftones Effect (within AI and without third-party plugins)

I would like AI to integrate a feature that can convert raster images and/or vector elements (gradients, sketches, shapes, anything..) into a perfectly shaped round dots Halftones Effect.

As a matter of fact, it is already possibile to get something similar by applying the raster halftones Effect to the element and then Live Tracing it. But the result is something uneven made of irregular circles or shape. So it is not a precise function to take into consideration.

The effect should be achieved without any third-party plugins or anything which is not already included in the full AI software release…

152 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Increase Bleed Limit!

1 inch bleed limit may seem extreme for offset (usually 1/8") or packaging (1/4"), but people use Illustrator for all kinds of projects! Textile vendors want much more. The limit makes proofing annoying because we need to get approvals without bleed.

145 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

62 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow Aligning Stroke to Inside and Outside of Text

Currently strokes can only be aligned to the center of the edge of text (see red stroke in attached example), it would be very helpful to be able to set strokes to inside and especially outside (bottom/green example) of text while still being able to edit it. This is especially useful when you want to make text standout on a busy background. Thank you!

139 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 195 196
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base