When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Saving document should not kick you out of isolation mode

Sometimes I work deep inside some nested object and feel strong urge to save document. When I do it, AI quits isolation mode and I have to go 10 levels in again to continue my work. That's rude.

Please make AI respect my isolation tunneling when saving.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Export for screens should exclude template layers

When exporting for screens, any layers which are set as template or non-printing should be excluded from the output without having to first turn off that layer.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Opening Multi-Page PDFs should have a larger preview or scalable preview

The Open PDF window box that comes up when you try to open a Multi-Page PDF should have a larger preview. In the Open PDF window much of the text can be garbled, which doesn't help if you are not sure which page of a 49 page document you need to open.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to export to PSD but retain folders and layers

Ability to export to PSD but retain folders and layers. Critical for taking artwork prepared for Character Animator from Illustrator to Photoshop in order to use tools such as puppet warp to create easy frame by frame animations.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add data attributes to elements for SVG export

I'm using data attributes quite a bit these days, and have been experimenting with using them in SVG. They work very well, as a way of adding metadata or parameters to elements that can later be read by javascript/ES.
    But (of course) no support in illustrator for this feature. Worse, if I add them with another tool, then open the SVG in Illustrator, they get stripped from the document entirely. This is just stupid.

Best of all, a data-attributes panel, very similar to the variable panel, but without the redraw bugs. Workflow something like this:

Select an art object.
    Go…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Stop automatic artboard numbering to file name when exporting

In addition to what others have already posted on the same issue, an option to stop auto numbering for artboard export would be great.

Similar to Photoshop or InDesign (and the like), the simple ability to overwrite existing file names will be time saving. The output file type is of course not relevant in this request.

Still retain the Use Artboards tick box and All & Range buttons, but an option to overwrite existing filename.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. PNG 16bit color

Can't place RGB 16bit .png files - only 8bit works…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Network drives support

I can't believe what I read on this Adobe support page (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html) about using Illustrator files only on your LOCAL drive.
    How is it possible Adobe drove it's software into this nightmare?
    If we really can't acces and save our files on a local network drive then I am really done with it...

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. Please provide some information in order to reproduce the issue on our end. Please provide the below information –
    The version of Illustrator you are using ?
    Hardware details?
    Your operating system?
    Is this happening even with a small file?
    Can you please share the file with which this is happening every time you save on server?

This will help us to investigate into the issue.

9. Make AI remember active layer and reselect it when file is opened

I have some templates, where working layer is not topmost (others are locked and/or hidden).
    But AI always set focus on the topmost one when file is loaded. So when I or other people try to edit freshly opened/created file, they have have a message about lock/visibility.
    Please make AI remember what layer is active when file is saved.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add 'Flatten image' option to TIFF Export options

Every TIFF I export form AI has one layer inside, even when image is completely opaque. This bloats TIFF twice in size, and there is no option to NOT write alpha. I have to batch all my TIFFs to correct it.
    Please, just add 'Flatten image' option to Export (you can set it unchecked by default to keep compatibility) that will convert layer to plain white background.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Import later versions of dwg

I would love to see an update so that you can import later versions of dwg files than AutoCad 2007. Most of our clients are working in later versions so it has become a big problem for us not being able to import these files into Illustrator.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Remove Export Size Limit for PDF (200")

I have designed a 206 Feet Wide banner Designed at 1:12 Scale (206") in illustrator, I am Literally Unable to Send it for Printing, Because i Can't Export it to PDF because its Exceeding 200"...

Illustrator itself can't design something Greater than 227 Inches, While more WORST thing is the Export to PDF file Size Limit, which is currently set to 200". Why to Leave Scaling on Printer RIP, Why Not send a Print Ready File. So if there's something wrong, we could catch and fix it, rather get it Printed.

The problem can be with the Repeated Background Pattern,…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Auto save!!!!

I'm tired of loosing hours of work because my work is not automatically saved as it is in all other tools I use..

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Multi page pdf import - need option to distribute artboards

Here is the comparison of Importing 300 pages pdf vs creating same 300 pages via new document dialogue. Are we still in the same product?

Expected .Distributing the artboards evenly or even giving options to distribute artboards during pdf import.

Observed: facepalm

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Increase artboard size limitations for creating PDFs.

Fix issue of not being able to make PDFs larger than 200 inches. I create packaging for furniture that often exceeds this limitation. Causes major issues when working with printers in China. Please offer another option instead of "scaling artwork down". The packaging has to have very precise dimensions and scaling opens doors to mistakes.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Import PDF comments in Illustrator

The option to import PDF comments in InDesign is a great feature.
    Adding this feature to Illustrator would be a great solution for people working in the packaging world.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Export artboards from illustrator to a single, multi- artboard photoshop file

Export an illustrator file (with multiple artboards and layers) to photoshop (as a single, multi- artboard psd file).

Currently illustrator exports multiple, separate.psd files.
    You then need to copy and paste from individual files into a multi- artboard .psd file.

If the above idea is integrated, it would make bringing screen layouts into into xd for prototyping UIs much easier.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Remember save locations and export naming conventions on a per-file basis.

Currently, Illustrator does not remember where you saved your files last and always defaults to the folder that your source file is in. I would prefer if it were to remember export locations on a per-file basis.

Similarly, with Export for Screens, the prefix and suffix options should be part of the individual file's metadata, not set globally.

v 22.1, MacOS

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Batching actions can't access files through Windows file shortcuts

If user has a folder with shortcuts to files in different folders and try to batch this folder, AI can't see files. It would be great if it could.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. import chart data from Excel or CSV

Need to be able to import data from an Excel (or at least a CSV) file, to create chart with Charting tool. Rather antiquated to have to copy/paste to get data for a chart. (In more than 30 years of using AI, I've NEVER been given a data file in TXT format--the only option currently available to import graph data.)

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base