Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Export for Screens should be per project.

I work on lots of projects. They all use export for screens. The export location and exports settings vary by project. Remembering and resetting the location and settings for each project slows down my work flow and is a source of problems in the greater work flow that the exported art is just a piece of. For instance in one "greater" project there are multiple Illustrator files for Android icons, iOS icons, and multiple art files - each requires different settings and locations in Export for Screens.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve page selection when opening PDFs in Illustrator

Referring to the attached screenshot for opening PDFs in Illustrator:
    I find that I am constantly browsing through the preview pages using (B), and hitting 'Open' when I see the previewed page I want -- completely forgetting to actually enter the page number in the Range (C), and thereby opening Page 1, swearing, and starting again. Casual survey suggests this is a common issue for others in my studio as well.
    It would be great if changing the previewed page using B also updated the page number selected in C; or, if an additional radio button sitting with C and…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Export artboards from illustrator to a single, multi- artboard photoshop file

Export an illustrator file (with multiple artboards and layers) to photoshop (as a single, multi- artboard psd file).

Currently illustrator exports multiple, separate.psd files.
    You then need to copy and paste from individual files into a multi- artboard .psd file.

If the above idea is integrated, it would make bringing screen layouts into into xd for prototyping UIs much easier.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Batching actions can't access files through Windows file shortcuts

If user has a folder with shortcuts to files in different folders and try to batch this folder, AI can't see files. It would be great if it could.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Set class info for SVG

You can set the name of a path that becomes an id in the svg export.
    If you are programming in javascript to animate items in the svg, you need the id, but also classes. This would mean we could manipulate many different objects in one command.
    What we need is to set a list of classes (in the Properties window, probably). So if you set the list to orangeStyle, dark, tobeResized (probably with a + sign to add another class) and the svg output will have class="orangeStyle, dark, tobeResized" inside.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. import chart data from Excel or CSV

Need to be able to import data from an Excel (or at least a CSV) file, to create chart with Charting tool. Rather antiquated to have to copy/paste to get data for a chart. (In more than 30 years of using AI, I've NEVER been given a data file in TXT format--the only option currently available to import graph data.)

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Efficient and standardized PDF export without exporting hidden illustrator content

The current illustrator "save as" saves all illustrator content, but hides data that is not on the selected "save as" pages. This puts content that I don't want published at risk (the pdf can be opened in illustrator to reveal all content) as well as creates very inefficient and bloated PDF's. I have to either create a seperate illustrator file that deletes all artboards and content that I don't want exported, then save as PDF, or save as PDF (with all content) and open the PDF in illustrator after export to delete the hidden content and resave.

is inconsistant with…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please add Type/Text Variables/Insert Variables/Modification Date upon save. Same as InDesign.

Please add Type/Text Variables/Insert Variables/Modification Date upon save. Same as InDesign.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Adobe have to improve the SVG exportation tool

Adobe have to improve the SVG tool, because we need to create new document to be able export SVG CODE directly from Illustrator file...
    Will be better, if we colect files to export, and on this function, be able to export not just SVG file, but also the SVG code, to use diretly on CSS and HTML.
    Will be a great help to web designers.
    Cumpz :)

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need More Info  ·  9 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Illustrator - PDF Export Cropmarks

Illustrator really needs a usefull cropmark export option in the pdf export dialougue. just like InDesign. I mean it looks similar to InDesign but its simply not working! who needs cropmarks up to 15 mm long?? why cant i edit the length, width.. etc?. Please make this function usefull!! asap

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. HREF

So many years, a lot of versions and still no URL creation function in AI like in Indesign. Add a hyperlink to a text or an object to make it clickable on PDF run! This is terribly missing!

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/add-hyperlink.html

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. save to cloud documents for illustrator and other apps

Can we please add the function of saving to the adobe cloud documents on apps other than PSD?? Currently after the 2020 update there is a function window that pops up when you click save/save as and it gives you the option to save to the adobe cloud documents, which is great because it saves me from using space on my flash disc memory. However, sadly illustrator does not have this option, it only has the option to save to the creative cloud synced files which is different from cloud documents because synced files still takes up space on your…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Support SVG property 'paint-order'

Add support for the paint-order property. By default the fill is painted and then the stroke is placed on top. The paint-order property allows this order to be defined so the stroke can be placed under the fill. Without support for this a svg can look very different than the imported version in illustrator.

The file attached is an example of the property in use.

Example:
    https://mdn.mozillademos.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/paint-order$samples/Examples?revision=1530134

See the following resources:
    https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/painting.html#PaintOrder
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/paint-order
    https://caniuse.com/#feat=mdn-csspropertiespaint-order

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Regression: Illustrator CC saves each instance of symbol in .ai file separately

How to reproduce this problem in Illustrator СС:

1. Create clean AI file with A4 page.

2. Place any pixel image (with size ~10 mb) embedded to this page. Save file, it will have size about ~10 mb)

3. Make this image as symbol and remove object from page.

4. Place symbol to page one time.

5. Save file. File size will be, eg, ~10 mb.

6. Now place same symbol to page more 4 times, total will be 5 images on page.

7. Save file and check size - it will be increased to ~50 mb.

As result, you will have ai file, containing only 5…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. "Font embedding" is possible in AI format

"Font embedding" is possible in AI format, and added “the data of that font is kept if text is not edited" option.
    Data can be delivered to clients and output centers in AI format that all functions can be used, not PDF format.

(Translated to Japanese)
    AI形式でも「フォントの埋め込み」ができて、「編集しない限り、そのフォントのデータを維持」するオプション。
    クライアントや出力センターに、PDF 形式ではなく、全機能が利用できる AI 形式でデータの受け渡しが可能になる。

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. gcode

Hello!

I would be absolutely DELIGHTED if you could introduce a way to export G-Code from Illustrator. I have a laser engraver (Cubiio) and the only way I can turn vectors into G-Code at the moment is by using Inkscape and an extension by J Tech Photonics. I hate Inkscape with a passion so I grind my teeth every time. This is what I have to resort to when working with vector files that I would like to convert: https://cubiio.muherz.com/gcode_instruction.html

There is a G-Code extension available for Illustrator, created by https://diegomonzon.com/illustrator-to-gcode/ , but I have been unable to get it…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow to set custom default Transparency Flattener Options settings when saving EPS

There is no way to tweak said default settings.
    Even you create custom document profile from document with tweaked settings, it still come up as default-default when you try to save project, created from this profile.

More on this here, for example:
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2456425

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Export for Screen Quality of export

Not sure if it has been asked or discussed (spent way to much time searching for it and not finding it) but the "export for screens" exports terrible quality - mostly for jpg.

The quality is jagged and blurry when exporting a large graphic with text that has been outlined. Yet, when I use the legacy export for the same width and size I want, the quality is far superior whilst still having a small footprint in size.

Why is the legacy export, in any format, so much better than the "export for screens" that you have made default?

Often…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. svg option to convert text to outlines when exporting

When exporting svg I have ran into wonkyness with fonts so sometimes we export svg graphics with text as shapes...

But then I some times get distracted by a email or chat message and save the ai version with out undoing my text to outlines conversion...

Why not just have a check box on the svg export panel "convert all text to shapes" then when I export this option parse the document and convert all text to shapes...

So I do not have to worry about undoing my convert text to shapes when I save the master ai file.

Stephen

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  8 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Make AI to understand buffered art from CorelDRAW and vice versa

Adobe and Corel are eternal rivals, I know.
    But our (and not ours only, as far as I know) workflow requires both whales.
    A lot of vynil-cutting shops, laser-engraving and large format printing shops work only in CD. We have to transfer our files back and forth from one program to another each day.

We use PDF as a medium, but it's long way.
    We also use this magnificent macros for CD:
    https://github.com/cdrpro-macros/ai-clipboard
    but it's not 100% solution.

We need a way to copy/paste from/to AI from/to CD natively.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base