Illustrator Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to Copy&Pastle "Color Groups" in "Recolor artwork" to another document

In one document I have create created some Color Groups for recolor my artwork. Now I want to copy them into another document.

It's not possible to do currently. But it's so simple to implement!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Slug

As part of my daily workflow, all my art has to have a slug, when i put all the information about the file, date, time, user, CMYK and spot colors used, company logo, etc.

Editable and complete slug option will be appreciated, see attached an example of my manual slug, i use in conjunction with a plugin which puts date time, the user, etc automatically, but i don't like plugins, I want part of the Adobe illustrator Software.

See attached an example

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. artboard

Have new artboards follow your "re-arrange" pattern.

i.e if you re-arrange your artboards to go down 1 column, have new artboards get created at the bottom under the latest artboard instead of generating sideways

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add features to the Rearrange Artboards dialog.

I create a lot of new artboards ( 1 for each screen I am designing). Since Illustrator always puts new artboards at the right of the current top row on the workspace (regardless of the order specified for rearranging artboards), I often have to use the Rearrange Artboards command to make more space for the next artboard. The more artboards in the file, the more often I have to rearrange artboards.

It would be great if I could tell Illustrator to:

1.) Add new artboards at the location indicated by following the layout pattern in the Rearrange Artboards dialog, with…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Option to "Show Transparency Grid" by default for all the files at all the time

I deal with a lot of white icons/svg and would like to keep the transparency grid on by default for all the files.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Create artboard to three decimal places

It would be nice to be able to set artboards to three decimal places without it rounding up. If I make something at 3.125", it rounds up to 3.13", or 3.6785 becomes 3.68. Although I have not had any printers yell at me for my files not being correct, I still am concerned that it always wants to round up to the hundredths place, especially when I'm having to be sure that my materials are going into places where the sizes are set in to be such specific tolerances.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Rotate view for illustration purposes

I illustrate using a tablet, and it's extremely difficult to draw horizontal lines in Illustrator. If the view can be rotated, like in Photoshop, it would be a huge advantage.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Move(select) multiple artboards with just a mouse

I just need to be able to select and move multiple artboards.
    Thats so simple. Currently, I can select only 1, but I have 100 of them already and I want move some groups in my document, to easy re-arrange them. But I have to move one by one. AWKWARD.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    We are pleased to inform you that your request is available in the latest release of Illustrator version 22.0.
    Visit your Adobe Creative Cloud Application and update. If you do not see an update on the application please check for update from the flyout options on the application after clicking on three vertical dots. For step by step process please visit: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html#Checkforupdates

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

9. Custom artboard presets

It would be nice to have the option to create your own artboard presets.
    Like:
    Facebook Cover page
    John's English Notebook

so you don't have to remember every size you ever used.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Remove canvas size limit

When working in large format printing we regularly create art for walls over 220 inches wide. It is further complicated that there are also requirements for special cuts on the router to help with monitor brackets or other notches to assist with final
    installation. We must marry up the full wall art with vector cut shape prior to running file through another application that helps slice the wall art into multiple panels that include the required cut outs.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Turn a layer highlight into an object selection

It's often simpler to highlight entries in the layers panel than it is to select the objects on the artboard.

e.g. you could just click the first and shift-click the last in order to hightlight many consecutive layers.

It would be really efficient if those highlighted objects could then be turned into a selection on the artboard (for transforming the elements or whatnot).

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. "Paste on selected Artboards"

The user should be able to paste on selected artboards. Currently we have to past on all of them or one of them. With the advent of many more artboards, the user has to spend a lot of time pasting on each artboard.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Set location of new artboard

Bring back the ability to click to set the location of a new artboard. With 2018, I have to find wherever a new artboard appears and move it to where I want it.

In 2017 and prior, I'd just click to make a new artboard where I wanted it.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Automatially push guides to a single layer

It'd be great to have an optional feature that pushes every newly created guide to a dedicated guide layer. I think many people work with an eytra layer for guides on top of their layer stack to toggle visibility and lock, and manually collecting all guides gets tedious.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add a button to save presets like Photoshop has.

Photoshop has a button to save presets when you create a new document. I love that feature makes my job easier, I wish Illustrator had that same button instead of having to save the files as templates. So much simpler and faster with the button right there.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Artboard numbering by order not by creation

For many years I wish AI sorted the artboards by their position in the document but not by their time of creation. When moving artboards around for creating an presentation (which I would like to export later by maintainig the sequence I see on the canvas) it would be so much more comfortable when the numbering of the artboard would change accordingly. For example if I prepare a presentation with miltiple artboards and dceide to move the most right artboard of the bottum row to the very upper left position I wish this artboard would be numbered as artboard #1…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. create layer from selection or artboard

have the ability in layers palette to create "new layer from selection" or "new layer from artboard"

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Keyboard shortcut to fit artboard to selection

Currently you must have content selected to fit it to art board in focus. This workflow adds extra interaction cost by having to remember to first select before hitting the drop-down menu to fit it. Selecting the content and art board and striking a key command would make this a lot more efficient.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Advanced Rename Tools for Artboards

Would love to have a feature that allows a mass-rename feature to artboards the same way you can rename files in Mac OS: Add Text, Replace Text, Format. As a designer who exports many artboards for the web and is constantly renaming file version numbers for easy export - this would be a dream!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Separate marquee selecting and deselecting into different keys

Shift + marquee selecting should not simultaneously select and deselect objects, instead the two should be separated into different keys, such as 'Shift' for only adding to the current selection and 'Alt' only subtracting from it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base