Illustrator Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. fix the Layers palette; modernize it.

The layers Palette in Illustrator Predates most Design apps out there. Because of that, many of its behaviors are critically out dated and in great need of a top - bottom update.

some critical things to fix:
    1. Selection tracking should be unified. Selecting in the Layers palette should ALSO select the elements in the document. Throw away the confusing 2nd step there.

1. naming. make it more flexible. IE: add built in options for the renaming that occurs when you copy a Layer. Add the ability to rename selected layers with one text entry. Add to that, a simple Scripting…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Export for Screens should be per project.

I work on lots of projects. They all use export for screens. The export location and exports settings vary by project. Remembering and resetting the location and settings for each project slows down my work flow and is a source of problems in the greater work flow that the exported art is just a piece of. For instance in one "greater" project there are multiple Illustrator files for Android icons, iOS icons, and multiple art files - each requires different settings and locations in Export for Screens.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Change the Separations Preview panel to behave like it does in InDesign

Can you change the Separations Preview panel in Illustrator to behave just like it does in InDesign? The Separations Preview panel in InDesign shows the percentage of each color separation when you hover over an area of the artwork, and includes the Ink Limit option. Both of those features would be extremely useful in Illustrator.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. distribute / align on edges of an artboard or a shape

A request to add two buttons to the "Align" options :
    distributing shapes on an artboard in order to have equal spaces between those two shapes AND the edges of the artboard.
    This could work with more than two shapes, and artboard could also be replaced by another shape (like a background color...).

This should be clearer with a picture...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make Y direction POSITIVE numbers above the Y "zero" point like in the rest of world.

Align Illustrator with the rest of the world by making the default Y direction positive numbers above the Y "zero" point - in my case zero is set to the very center of the Artboard.

And also make this a preference item across CC apps. I still don't see how it's an advantage in InDesign and Photoshop.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. History Panel

I'm a handicapped person with the ability of using my right hand only. So, I don't have the access on keyboards that much. I use screen keyboards or other tools for typing also to gain full controls on various application and software. I also managed to make the Photoshop my own. I figured out and arranged the interface of Photoshop to make it better for my usability where the History Panel was the essential tool for me. And when it comes to Illustrator, I got disappointed as it doesn't includes the History Panel. It's difficult going to edit then undoing…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. SVG Export - Option to keep words intact

SVG export seems to break up any text by character in tspan elements, I'm guessing this is so the end product is kerned as nicely as possible.

In some cases I prefer readability/editability over the best possible output.

I would like an option to prevent characters from being put into individual <tspan> tags.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS WORTH LIVING FOR >PLEASE< add folders to the Layers panel BECAUE it will KEEP ME FROM DESTROYING THE EARTH

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS WORTH LIVING FOR >>PLEASE<< add folders to the Layers panel BECAUSE it will KEEP ME FROM DESTROYING THE EARTH

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add an option to Outline pathfinder command to keep original strokes

Outline command is great when you need to cut your path on every intersection. But sadly, it also sets all strokes to None. Most of the times this is not I want. Every time when I see this function explained to somebody else, I see them adding "...but sadly it will make all your strokes vanish".
    Please make an option to keep strokes.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Same functionalities as shown here in the subscribe tool https://astutegraphics.com/software/subscribe/

basically the 'Circle by Points Tool' in Subscribe should be a functionality added to the Ellipse Tool. And the 'Arch by Points Tool' in Subscribe should be a functionality added to the 'Line Segment Tool' in Ai as well. These are common functions in in cad programs and need to be added to Illustrator natively to improve vector building.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Automatically incorporate the .jpeg .png name into the artboard name

When working with multiple assets (png's and jpegs) and wish to import them in a document for various purposes: resize, remake them as vector for "overwrite" purpose it would be really helpful to:

When importing a .jpeg or a .png file into a document, by clicking on the .png or .jpeg with the arboard tool, instead of creating a generic name, the artboard tool should "take" the name of the file automatically.

When working with hundreds of small assets, it is very painful having to rename every single file in order to batch export them.

Very helpful in, mobile, web…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Start Screen

It would be super cool if my start screen wasn't borked.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Change values of recorded actions

It would be great if the values of recorded actions can be changed in the actions panel.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Please add weibei-TC-bold font back to adobe applications.

I am unable to use "weibei-TC-bold" in my previously saved AI files from 2018 and 2019. I have been using this font for my business logo for two years.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 'Reverse Order' option for Transform Effect

When you set several copies in Transform effect, Illustrator makes them stack under original art, 'going backwards'. Sometimes it's better to have an opposite behaviour, with copies stacking up, 'towards' viewer.

Please add this checkbox near 'Copies" field.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Smart/Adaptive Colors

Smart colors would allow a user to apply different numerical values to a color within their Swatches, and lock them across color profiles. This would differ from the current standards by allowing users to preselect the different values for each color profile and lock them in, ensuring better consistency throughout materials.

For example, if the document is in CMYK, the color will adapt the the CMYK values applied and locked to the color. When dragged into a new project set up in RGB, the color would adapt to the assigned RBG values. This would also allow the opportunity to link…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Paste unformatted text

Please add a way to paste text from the clipboard without any formatting. Currently, I have to paste the text into a text editor to remove formatting and then copy/paste back into Illustrator. In other programs, this command is typically CMD-SHIFT-V, it would be nice if the same command could be used in AI for this functionality.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow inside/outside stroke settings on open paths

A stroke can only currently be set to the default (center, I guess your call it) of an open path. It would be nice to allow it to be set to the inside or outside. Since an open party doesn’t really have an inside or outside, I imagine it would work in a way similar to how the direction of an arrowhead can be reversed. This would save me a lot of time when working with graphics that require aligned open and closed paths.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base