Illustrator Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Outlining dotted lines with " aligns dashes", unnecessary anchor points are generated.

When dotted lines with “Aligns dashes to corners and path ends, adjusting lengths to fit” are outlined , unnecessary anchor points are generated in the circles at both ends.

When performing detailed processing to create artwork, I sometimes outline dashed lines. So, unnecessary anchor points are an obstacle in such processing.
    Although there are workarounds, I hope that users will get clean outline results without any ingenuity.

Workaround:
    (A)
    1.Double-click anywhere in the stroke with Width tool to add a new width point.
    2.Execute “Expand Appearance” , “Outline Strokes” or “Flatten Transparency”.

(B)
    1.Drawing strokes in accurately calculated length with…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to change the height of top half of Find Fonts dialog box

It would be nice if the top half of the Find Fonts dialog box could also change height when you resize the box. It only show 5 fonts, and then they're not even in alphabetical order, so it's impossible to find the font you might want to change all instances to. Two screen shots attached: the first is the dialog box when it opens, the second is after I've resized it, but I cannot resize the list at the top...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please make the Preview option sticky

Just about everything you do in Illustrator to the drawing cannot be seen until you turn on Preview. Unfortunately the Preview option cannot be set to ON or Sticky from last use. I am aware that way back in the 80s this was done because the computing power was not strong enough to deal with drop shadows but this is now not the case. I am also aware that very very complex drawings can also be affected by having the Preview on but I very seldom do complex drawings. PERHAPS there could be some kind of self-sensing regulator that when…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Everyone,

All the effect checkboxes have now been set to ON by default, and are sticky (meaning that if you disable preview, on next launch of Illustrator preview will remain disabled). This functionality now is available in our latest release build – 24.1.1 for Win and 24.1 for Mac which is available worldwide now.

We are working on making all remaining preview check-boxes sticky. Will update this thread when done!

What’s new in 24.1: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/whats-new.html

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback.

4. Save As PDF

When i SAVE AS PDF,
    and then make some changes and hit SAVE,
    the changes are then saved in the PDF and not in the AI file.

WHY????
    THIS MAKES NO SENSE!!!

"Save as" should work like "Export"
    And not change the your filetype you are working in

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please make Optical Kerning the default instead of Automatic

Please make Optical Kerning the default instead of Automatic.

It's a draw on productivity when I have to change Optical Kerning to Automatic in each new document.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add an option to show edges when art is dragged with real-time drawing option on

Real-time drawing is a great feature and I wish it appeared earlier, so by this time I'd be polished enough. Now we have a mode when only edges are drawn while dragging and the other one, which draws only art — but not both. It makes positioning somewhat harder. Please add an option to allow both methods to work combined.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Expand toolgroup on hover instead of long-click

Holding a mouse button to open a tool group can be not preferred way for some users that have experience in other software packages. It would benefit them and others if Illustrator will provide an option and a delay in Preferences to open these with just a mouse hovering over tools.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Transform options with clickable arrows all the time

Is there a way to always have the transform options like this (see "Transform with arrows.png" attachment) with clickable up and down arrows? The feature disappears unless you are grouping one or more objects (see "Transform no arrows.png" attachment).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Hotkeys for next/previous appearance item

Appearance is great but can be better.
    To select a fill below current one you have to open palette and click the item you want to change. If there would be a hotkeys for selecting next appearance item above/below (like Photoshop has for navigating Layers) this would boost keyboard freaks like me.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Perspective mode for Free Distort effect

Free Distort effects, being a bit outdated with it's detached preview window, comes out Super Tool with Stylism plugin installed. But it could do so much better if there would be a tick, that turns distortion into a perspective one, as the tool with the same name allows to do. That would allow us to distort stuff live in perspective (and omit using overcomplicated Perspective Grid for small tasks).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Two desimal

Can we please have option to use only two desimiles on units.
    We use millimetres and four desimile is waaaaaay too much. Two is just enought. Example what we have noiw 1200,0000 mm, 1200,00 is what we want.

Tommi Koski Tarrateksti **

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Ability to add effects in Illustrator actions

It would greatly enhance the performance of Illustrator actions if it was possible to add features such as effects to an action. Keep all settings stored and without having to see the dialogue box for the captured effect when played back in the future.

For example, including a 3D Rotate effect from Effects> 3D> Rotate... and capture all of the settings in that dialogue box within the action whilst recording.

Thank you!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Change character in default font

I'm looking for a way to change a character in my default font. I use the font family Proxima Nova (an Adobe font, what I have activated). In InDesign you can choose between two character for the letter 'a'. There I can change the font with find glyph en replace it for the other one. This is an extra action I make for all my designs.

It would be awesome to set that letter 'a' as a default a in that typefont. Because I can only use the right one in InDesign. AdobeIllustrator don't has that option. Is there a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add a plugin manager on start up

A simple plugin Manager on start up would be helpful. Maybe hold down the Space bar on Startup that gives you an option to enable or disable, any third party or memory hungry plugins.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. The ability to turn off or filter out unneeded system fonts

It would be great if there was a way we could turn system fonts off so they don't show up in the list.
    Why is this valuable? Because currently I have 63 Noto *** fonts listed in my fonts -- there are others in that list too (Apple Braille) that we cannot remove from our system font library. Every time we do a visual search for a font to use, we have to go through these all of these useless fonts too.

This would be a great option for all of your programs -- not just Illustrator. Same issue in…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Bring back right-click Opacity Mask

Remember when you could right click and select 'Opacity Mask'?

Yeah, those were the days. The process is twice as long now unless you have the 'transparency' window as a permanent fixture in your workspace.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Provide an option for making artboard names visible on the artboard (like when editing artboards). This would be so helpful!

Provide an option in Adobe Illustrator to show artboard names on the artboard/on top of the artboard (like when editing artboards). This visible naming would greatly help to keep artboards organized in large, multiple artboard files.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Illustrator on Linux

Illustrator works on Windows and Mac, but you are missing out on a big customer base for scientists who would prefer using Illustrator on the Linux Operating system. Please work towards creating a Linux version for Illustrator. Shared this feedback through years or using Illustrator.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base