Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

242 results found

1. Cannot move type!!!!!!

I cannot move any of the type that i type and i also cannot select the type that i just typed..... I am extremely annoyed with these updates...... Why can i not moved type? Why as soon as i have typed a word, can i not then select that same type???

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Alignement of neighboring objects

Hi, when I used to move my objects on artboard, there used to be lanes and alignments automatically showing me when two objects on the artboard are in alignment with a green line. However, I can't see that feature anymore, it just happened since yesterday. very frustrating. Is this a bug, or is this due to some settings issue?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Blending paths with Width profiles works wrong

Create two lines.
    Apply width profiles to both of them.
    Blend them.
    Ai will generate steps that have uniform profiles instead of intermediate.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. illustrator preview is black and white (fills but not lines?) when file background is transparent

mac os 10.15.6 / ai 24.3

file preview for fills (but not lines) becomes b&w when the file background is transparent. when a background is turned on, preview is fine.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. In the latest version cursor keys are now moving the selected objects/nodes 2 pixels instead of 1

Up until 24.2.1 if I selected an object or node and hit the cursor keys they would move 1 pixel in the direction of the key. Now all of a sudden they move 2. makes trying to align/tweak the position of objects/nodes really difficult and painful

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This often happens when we open Preferences and accidentally press Up or Down arrow key. The very first field focused in the dialog is Keyboard Increment value, and pressing an arrow makes it either zero (which turns into the smallest allowed value of 0.0001) or 2 (if you had 1).

Open Preferences and change the value back.

6. Custom Brush doesn’t get affected by color

I am not able to change the color for my custom brushes. Whenever I select a new color for the brush, the brush still paints black. I have opened and closed the program several times but nothing has worked. I have deleted and made new brushes, but I am still having the same problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Brushes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Paths not dividing / uniting correctly (jittery paths)

It seems that with more complex paths, using the unite and divide Pathfinder tools create jittery shapes (when you zoom in very very close, you can see that the merging / division isn't perfect and that shapes have been disfigured). Same with paths / shapes where smooth corner have been used: use of Pathfinder tool is going to disfigure them. (posted to the support on Twitter)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If this does happen for you, please open your Pathfinder panel’s options and change the Precision value it has. Lowering the values improves results, especially on very long curved segments, but also increases the overall time a complex pathfinder operation takes.

Please comment below if this advice helps — the team can use this feedback to reconsider the default value.

8. Selecting two objects adds millions of points to second path...

Adobe Illustrator 24.2.1 (and its predecessor) have a horrible feature which I assume is a bug. When selecting two separate paths (or even two separate text objects) using the Selection Tool or Direct Selection Tool, it seemingly adds millions of points to the second path. The points are not really added and don't actually exist, but they LOOK like they do, meaning it adds a thick blue line along it that looks ghastly and is completely off-putting. I can't use those versions at all and have had to stick to 24.1.3 which is the latest version to not do it.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. In Illustrator 2020 the changes to Align tool window are a headache. Defaulting to align by key object .... Very frustrating defaults.

In Illustrator 2020 the changes to Align tool window are a headache. Defaulting to align by key object .... Very frustrating defaults.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Hide edges not working

When choosing to hide edges of selected objects, 1 or more objects still have edges visible. I have resorted to back saving my documents as this feature is crucial for layouts.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As far as I know, the auto-keying an object in a selection was a bug introduced in one of versions, not caught in time and slipped into the release, later fixed.

Since no object is forced as a key right now, I assume there is no need in having its bold outline to be hidden when Hide Edges is active, since these two factors rarely meet... However, if you have a workflow that requires to have both — I encourage you to file it as a feature request with some examples.

11. Rectangle tool draws slightly rotated rectangle

Update 24.2 - When drawing a rectangle (by selecting the rectangle tool, clicking on the artboard, and entering desired dimensions), the resulting rectangle is slightly rotated, skewed or tilted. It's not noticeable until it's viewed in outline mode.
    To confirm this, I create a 1" x 1" square with the rectangle tool. Then drag the ruler origin to the top left anchor point. The transform palette confirms this anchor point is at x=0, y=0 (as expected). Then I select the top right anchor point and see that its coordinates are x=1, y=-.0022. The y-value should be 0.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. No x- and y-values for rectangles in the top menu bar

The last Update 24.2 installed. When drawing a rectangle there are no more x- and y-values shown in the top menu bar!!! So they can’t be edited. Only the width and height is shown. How miserable.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I happens when the width of the screen is not wide enough to fit all the elements the Control panel can display. Some blocks, especially from the Transform section, get omitted.

To workaround this without purchasing a larger display, one can open the Control panel's flyout menu, untick some options, like Align, and check if the section needed returns. If yes — then please vote here for a feature that would allow us to change the order of blocks in Control: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/40231882-allow-us-to-chose-order-of-controls-in-control-pan

13. Select same fill color does not take into account tints

When I select "same fill color" or "same appearance" it selects all items using that particular pantone regardless of whether I am using that pantone at 100% or a tint (ex 40%, 50%, 60%).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Gradient stroke cannot be cut and pasted.

Reproduction:

1. Draw a path with a gradient stroke and no fill.
    2. Select and cut or copy the path.
    3. Paste. Normally, In Front, Behind, or In Place.
    4. The expected result is, of course, a new copy of this gradient-stroked path.
    5. Actual results range from a copy of the path with the stroke expanded, an image that was cut and paste sometime last week, or an error popup that says "This operation cannot complete because of an unknown error [PDF!]"

Seen on OSX 10.14.6 with AI 24.1 and AI 24.1.2.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the comment from the OP, the LaunchBar clipboard manager seems to not be compatible the Illustrator format. The same happens with other clipboards managers, including the default one for Windows. However, there are reports it used to work with previous versions of Illustrator. If you have more details on this, or the same problem, — please comment.

15. Cannot open Illustrator after updating to version 24.1.2. Windows 7 reports an error "missing VCRUNTIME140_1.dll". (The 24.1.1 is ok)

Cannot open Illustrator after updating to version 24.1.2.

Windows 7 reports an error "missing VCRUNTIME140_1.dll".

(The older version 24.1.1 works fine after downlaoding.)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Distribute spacing value field doesn't show units anymore

The field used to show units (like '50 mm') in version 23.
    In 24 it says just '50' with no 'mm' after.
    If you type in your own unit, it won't recalculate in current units, as every other field in AI can do.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. My knife tool is missing

The knife tool has been below the scissors before, but now its gone ... Why?
    (see image below)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The tool is still there, but he team decided to hide the Knife tool from the Basic toolbar, based on the usage statistics, aiming to reduce clutter for new users.

You can still access it. There are two options:

1. Go to Window > Toolbars and pick Advanced, to view the classic tool layout, including all plugin tools added.

2. Press Edit Toolbar button at the bottom of your current toolbar (with three dots), find the Knife there (it’s the last one in the Modify section), and drag it into the panel in the slot you find fitting (be careful not to insert it into a tool-group by mistake, it’s a tight wiggle).

18. Height and Width indicator at cursor switched when resizing a box.

When I go to resize a box, the height and width indicators at the cursor are switched.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The rectangle you are scaling is probably rotated 90 degrees, and how has the width oriented along the Y-axis.

See, rectangles are drawn as live shapes when created in versions after 2014, and they remember their widths and heights independently from the size of their bounding boxes (which can differ a lot if a shape is rotated to an arbitrary angle).

This is somewhat confusing... but your own height does not get smaller if you lay down, isn’t it?

To solve this, you can convert your live rectangle into a path and then immediately convert it back t a rectangle again (Object > Shape > Expand Shape / Convert to Shape) — this will effectively reset the rotation to a 'normal' way.

19. Type on a path tool resizing causes crash

I have the latest version of Illustrator CC 2020 v. 24.0.3. Unfortunately, everytime I try to resize a type on path, Illustrator crashes. I have restarted the app and system and that didn't help.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Welcome screen doesn't show

Hello,
    I'm using windows 10 and Illustrator 24.0.2.

Whenever I'm launching Illustrator, without opening a .ai file, my welcome screen doesn't show at all. I can start a new project fine but I still need my screen to show. And yes the setting to show the welcome screen is checked.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base