Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

250 results found

1. Live Paint Dead

Wow, I haven't seen AI get this slow and bad at basic vector work in years! (Just might be way too bloated.) Had to delete latest version 25.1 and go backwards just to get my day job done on time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. No tools on illustrator 2021

Im on the last version of illustrator (on the date of 2021-01-20 at 9:47 am EST) and when i launch illustrator and create a project, there is no tools at all, when i change a settings in the window tab, nothing change

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Right Menu Bar Not appearing

Hello Adobe Crew! This is Eva.

I am here to report that the right menu bar is not appearing. I don't know what the bar is actually called so please excuse any misnaming. I wasn't drawing in fullscreen, and the fact that the right menu bar was in the way kinda annoyed me. So I clicked the 'X' button to put it away. I was done drawing, so I put my laptop away. Next day I want to draw, I open Illustrator, open a new canvas, and the right menu bar doesn't appear. I have tried to restart Illustrator many…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Warning Message "Partially selected objects..." Repeated

The warning message repeats:

"Partially selected objects cannot be set as key objects. In order to set an object as a key object, make sure the entire object is selected and try again."

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Selection  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Illustrator 2021 Won't Load - I have already contacted Customer Care. They were not able to help.

Please help. There are a number of users experiencing this major bug. Please read: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/help-illustrator-2021-won-t-load/td-p/11530119?page=6

I think Adobe needs to realize that it has been isolated to Illustrator v25.0 only. Like everyone else, the latest releases of Photoshop v22.0.1, InDesign v16.0, and Bridge v11.0 all work just fine. Moving down to Illustrator v24.3 seemed to help get everyone back to work. However, since this is a newer version, there is a question on the projects that we have been working on with v25.0 will open up without any hiccups with v24.3. I am testing that right now as I have…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Eyedrop multiple fills

Please allow there to be an option on the eyedropper tool to select multiple fills on appearances to apply to another object. Example; with pattern design, we create a top transparent pattern than a second fill with a solid color to create the final pattern. We would like to be able to easily apply those two fills to another object

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Issue with align to key object tool moving objects off the workspace not by the selected distance

When I try to align with a key object, the objects move off of the workspace and not by the distance selected. I have created a video of the issue here: https://www.screencast.com/t/hz5lD32lOW

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Cannot move type!!!!!!

I cannot move any of the type that i type and i also cannot select the type that i just typed..... I am extremely annoyed with these updates...... Why can i not moved type? Why as soon as i have typed a word, can i not then select that same type???

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Gradient colour not following path of curved line

When I go to colour the gradient after applying it to a thicker curved line a new shape is made and takes the colour and gradient that I chose. This shape appears to be connected by the same anchors as the curve but is just a straight line.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Alignement of neighboring objects

Hi, when I used to move my objects on artboard, there used to be lanes and alignments automatically showing me when two objects on the artboard are in alignment with a green line. However, I can't see that feature anymore, it just happened since yesterday. very frustrating. Is this a bug, or is this due to some settings issue?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Blending paths with Width profiles works wrong

Create two lines.
    Apply width profiles to both of them.
    Blend them.
    Ai will generate steps that have uniform profiles instead of intermediate.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. illustrator preview is black and white (fills but not lines?) when file background is transparent

mac os 10.15.6 / ai 24.3

file preview for fills (but not lines) becomes b&w when the file background is transparent. when a background is turned on, preview is fine.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. SVG Tiny 1.2 :: x/y attributes in svg element

It looks like Illustrator believes that x/y are valid attributes for the 'svg' element when exporting as Tiny 1.2. Based on reading the spec, I'm not entirely sure this is true.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. In the latest version cursor keys are now moving the selected objects/nodes 2 pixels instead of 1

Up until 24.2.1 if I selected an object or node and hit the cursor keys they would move 1 pixel in the direction of the key. Now all of a sudden they move 2. makes trying to align/tweak the position of objects/nodes really difficult and painful

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This often happens when we open Preferences and accidentally press Up or Down arrow key. The very first field focused in the dialog is Keyboard Increment value, and pressing an arrow makes it either zero (which turns into the smallest allowed value of 0.0001) or 2 (if you had 1).

Open Preferences and change the value back.

15. Custom Brush doesn’t get affected by color

I am not able to change the color for my custom brushes. Whenever I select a new color for the brush, the brush still paints black. I have opened and closed the program several times but nothing has worked. I have deleted and made new brushes, but I am still having the same problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Brushes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Paths not dividing / uniting correctly (jittery paths)

It seems that with more complex paths, using the unite and divide Pathfinder tools create jittery shapes (when you zoom in very very close, you can see that the merging / division isn't perfect and that shapes have been disfigured). Same with paths / shapes where smooth corner have been used: use of Pathfinder tool is going to disfigure them. (posted to the support on Twitter)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If this does happen for you, please open your Pathfinder panel’s options and change the Precision value it has. Lowering the values improves results, especially on very long curved segments, but also increases the overall time a complex pathfinder operation takes.

Please comment below if this advice helps — the team can use this feedback to reconsider the default value.

17. Selecting two objects adds millions of points to second path...

Adobe Illustrator 24.2.1 (and its predecessor) have a horrible feature which I assume is a bug. When selecting two separate paths (or even two separate text objects) using the Selection Tool or Direct Selection Tool, it seemingly adds millions of points to the second path. The points are not really added and don't actually exist, but they LOOK like they do, meaning it adds a thick blue line along it that looks ghastly and is completely off-putting. I can't use those versions at all and have had to stick to 24.1.3 which is the latest version to not do it.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. In Illustrator 2020 the changes to Align tool window are a headache. Defaulting to align by key object .... Very frustrating defaults.

In Illustrator 2020 the changes to Align tool window are a headache. Defaulting to align by key object .... Very frustrating defaults.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Hide edges not working

When choosing to hide edges of selected objects, 1 or more objects still have edges visible. I have resorted to back saving my documents as this feature is crucial for layouts.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As far as I know, the auto-keying an object in a selection was a bug introduced in one of versions, not caught in time and slipped into the release, later fixed.

Since no object is forced as a key right now, I assume there is no need in having its bold outline to be hidden when Hide Edges is active, since these two factors rarely meet... However, if you have a workflow that requires to have both — I encourage you to file it as a feature request with some examples.

20. Rectangle tool draws slightly rotated rectangle

Update 24.2 - When drawing a rectangle (by selecting the rectangle tool, clicking on the artboard, and entering desired dimensions), the resulting rectangle is slightly rotated, skewed or tilted. It's not noticeable until it's viewed in outline mode.
    To confirm this, I create a 1" x 1" square with the rectangle tool. Then drag the ruler origin to the top left anchor point. The transform palette confirms this anchor point is at x=0, y=0 (as expected). Then I select the top right anchor point and see that its coordinates are x=1, y=-.0022. The y-value should be 0.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base