Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

13 results found

1. Colour values change on their own! Very frustrating

Colours keep slightly changing over time, even as I am designing live inside a file!

I will enter an exact CMYK or RGB value to match our brands colours, then these values will change slightly all on their own.

I've been monitoring this for about 2 months now hoping this issue would be resolved in an update... but it hasnt been!

This is a massive issue! Colours have to be stable!

We need to be able to trust the program with things that are vital for a brand, like their COLOURS!

The attached image shows -
    Top: is the original…

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This problem requires an investigation, but not enough data is gathered yet to even start it.

Please provide these settings to help the team to deal with the problem:

1. The version of illustrator. OS and GPU model

2. Your color settings (a screenshot of the Color Settings dialog will do)

3. A test file with swatches which gets changed

4. A copy of this file when changes happen (if there is a difference in actual numbers swatches store)

Also, please check if the behaviour differs when you disable GPU mode and note that.

Send these to sharewithai@adobe.com (please also provide the link to this report for tracking purposes — https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447/suggestions/40866958) or share directly in the comments if you are allowed to share these files publicly.

It looks like this case is configuration specific, so if you are potentially willing to participate in the investigation of this issue by a…

2. 17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Eyedropper tool not showing correct colors sampled outside of Illustrator

When I click and drag the eyedropper tool outside of Illustrator to sample a color from something else (a website, pdf document, etc.), the color isn't correctly picked up.
    For example, if I move the eyedropper over something orange, it shows in Illustrator as blue or black; even if I sample a large white space, it shows in Illustrator as a different color. It seems to only be showing sampled colors as white, neutral, black/gray, and shades of blue.
    The program is up-to-date.
    I tried it in two browsers, Chrome and Safari, and the results were the same in both. …

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have seen this issue specific to macOS 10.15. Enabling “Screen Recording” access right to Illustrator resolved this issue.

You can change this setting by going to Apple > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Screen Recording and add Illustrator Application.

Please try this and reply in comment if the above suggestion worked for you.

-Rama
    Illustrator Team

4. Opacity bug

AI CC 2018
    I turned the opacity down on a selection to see below layers. Then I went to work on below layers. Upon returning to original layer and re-selecting the object to return it to 100% opacity it showed I was already at 100%. I could not get it back to 100% until I copied and pasted the object to a new layer.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  Anish Kumar responded

Hi,

It seems like opacity is applied on the Layer and not on the object inside that layer. It is possible that the user is selecting object inside the layer and not the layer itself. Hence the user is able to see the opacity of object which is 100% in this case and not the changed opacity of layer.

5. Appearance of Black Feature Not Working in Illustrator CC 2019

The "Appearance of Black" feature is not working after installing Illustrator CC 2019. I've tried to disable and re-enable the feature, however all blacks appear as rich black now. The document shown in the attached screenshot is in CMYK color mode. The black box on the left is 100% K only, the box to the right is C: 60%, M: 50%, Y: 50%, and K: 100%.

Previously 100% process black only would display as shown in the preferences window. I've tried to open an old document and create a new CMYK color mode document, however the 100% K looks rich…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Eye Dropper tool color is off

When you use the eye dropper tool on either images or vectors the shade is off and not exactly the same like it was https://www.screencast.com/t/bI7aJSdwB

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Gradient issues

2 problems in CC2020 on Mac OSX 10.15.1:
    1. Gradient annotator doesn't show on expanded shapes
    2. gradients inconsistently applying -- see attachment

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to this issue.
    We are unable to reproduce this issue in house.
    Can you help the Illustrator team to isolate this issue further so that we can nail this down?
    If yes, then please let me know the following:
    1)Kindly provide some video , Test file(Via File→Package) & some steps with which you are facing issue and share with us .
    2) Is this file specific or happens with any object in a newly created file also?
    3) Kindly share your preferences folder with us in a zip File
    MAC: /Users//Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings//
    Win: C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings

Kindly share the requested information at ShareWithAI@adobe.com in a Zip file.
    Please mention the title of this issue as the subject of the mail.

Thanks and Regards
    Ankit Goyal
    Illustrator Team

8. Show Tints/Shades menu issue

Show Tints/Shades menu in color guide does not allow to select a color on a first click, most of times you have to click several times to select the color, and on my Cintiq 13 Companion it is almost impossible to do it with the stilus.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Borders_Dashed Treatment Changes Spot Color to Process

I draw a box, stroke it with a spot color, apply a "borders_dashed" treatment. The Spot color becomes process. Please fix.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Gradient panel causes bugs

The gradient panel really makes me nervous. On rare occasions when dropping a color onto a gradient handle to change it, Illustrator suddenly just closes without a warning. Just gone in a split second along with all my work. No auto save. Nothing. It even won't show my recently opened files when I open it back up. This issue also happened the last time Illustrator was updated but then it was fixed. Please fix it again as I'm always SUPER nervous when I have to change settings for a gradient. I have no idea on how to reproduce this, other…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to this issue.
    We are unable to reproduce this issue in house.
    Can you help the Illustrator team to isolate this issue further so that we can nail this down?
    If yes, then please let me know the following:
    1) Kindly provide some video , Test file(Via File→Package) & some steps with which you are facing issue
    2) kindly also share your preferences folder with us in a zip file. You would be able to find the preferences folder in the below location:
    MAC: /Users//Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings (Kindly press Command + Shift + G and write ~/Library and ok and then go to preferences )

Win: C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings

Kindly clear your preferences by renaming your preference folder “Adobe Illustrator Settings” at above mentioned location and relaunch Adobe Illustrator . Kindly let us know if Adobe Illustrator still…

11. Unable to Merge swatches, screen freezes

In latest version of Illustrator 2020, I am running the script that brings Swatch Conflict Dialog, which is ok but it does not allow me to merge swatches. I cannot select or change radio button selection. I have attached the screenshot of the dialog.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. color changed automatically when the ai file saved and reopened,

the color changed automatically when the
    ai closed and reopened (CC 2018)

Adobe Illustrator CC 2018

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 100% black will not output to film as 100%

Came across this same issue now using CC 2017 but was able to isolate it. Customer file in CMYK color space, black at 100% nothing in the document except a 100% black rectangle. Illustrator reports 100% black but when output to film black is approximately 80%. Copying the entire content to a new document the output is at 100%. Using the original document and changing the color panel to grey scale black is 100%. Changing back to CMYK black is also 100% black. Placing the file into another dicument also produces 100% black. The latest file was created in CS6…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base