Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

158 results found

1. Artboards with the same number / missing number

In the artboards menu, two have the same number, and so one cannot access or export one of those two artboards (see the attached photo, with two artboards labeled "9")

176 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

151 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The team again asks for help with this issue, since there are not specific steps they can try to reproduce it — the nature of the bug is random.

If you are a Windows user, the next time you spot a missing or a duplicated number in Artboards panel, please follow these instructions below.

1. Open Task Manager

2. In Details tab, locate 'Illustrator.exe'

3. Right click it and choose 'Create dump file'

4. Wait until the dumping process is complete and click 'Open file location' button

5. Find 'Illustrator.dmp' (sorting files by date helps) and compress it with any archiving utility

6. Upload the archive to a file hosting service of your choice and sent the link for download to sharewithai@adobe.com. Please use the subject 'Artboards numbering bug dump'

This will help provide necessary clues to locate the source of the problem. If you are a Mac user —…

2. 78 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue .
    We have fixed the bug which was orignally reported but it seems some users are still facing the issue.

We are not able to reproduce this issue in house now ,Kindly provide following info to nail down this issue:

1)Kindly provide some video , Test file(Via File→Package) & some steps with which you are facing issue and share with us at ShareWithAI@adobe.com .

2)Please try the below mentioned workaround and let us know if that helps:

If you do not use custom Adobe PDF presets/joboptions or not heard of it then follow the below steps
    1. Navigate to user presets folder
    Win: appdata\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings
    Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings
    2. Rename the folder to “Settings old” and create a new empty folder “Settings” in the same place
    3. Launch Illustrator and check if you can save the document

If you use custom…

3. An unknown error occurred when saving AI file

Since updating to 24.2 on our Macs people are intermittently getting "An unknown error occurred" when trying to save an AI file. We have found in those cases outlining all the fonts will let us save. We are using the latest version of Universal Type Client for our font management.

50 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this issue, Illustrator Team really appreciate this.
    We are unable to reproduce this issue in house. We need your help in getting this issue reproducible.
    Kindly provide some video and Test file(Via File→Package) with some steps with which you are facing issue and share with us in a zip file at sharewithai@adobe.com. Please mention the title of this issue as the subject of the mail.
    Please Also let us know if you have been using any 3rd Party plugin while facing this problem.

Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we might need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.
    If yes, then please do let me know about your available time so that I can schedule a connect session accordingly.
    Our time zone is IST (+5:30 GMT).We are available…

4. Pasted/Embedded Images are disappearing

1. 22.0.1 on MacOS 10.13.3
    2. Illustrator closes either through my action or an unexpected crash
    3. I expect all of the embedded files I've been working with to display on the canvas
    4. A handful of the images will appear, but almost everything that has been linked (then embedded) or pasted into the file only appears as an empty bounding box. The images will only reappear if I use the link panel to hunt for each file and place it again. 40 minutes into this, I don't even know if I'll be able to fix all of the images that I pasted into…
    43 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to this issue.
    Unfortunately we are not able to reproduce this issue. Could you kindly provide the following information to help us nail this down.

When this issue occur please share the AID file with us without closing illustrator.
    1) If you are using Adobe Illustrator 2020 , Could you kindly share you AID file with us in a zip file. You would be able to find the AID file in preferences folder in the below location:

MAC: /Users//Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings// DataRecovery/ (Kindly press Command + Shift + G and write ~/Library and ok and then go to preferences )
    Win: C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings\ \x64\DataRecovery\

Kindly share the above with us in a Zip file at sharewithai@adobe.com. Please mention the title of this issue as the subject of the mail.

Regards,
    Ankit Goyal
    Illustrator Team

5. Cursor stuck on hand

The cursor is stuck on the hand tool in all my adobe apps so I cannot use them at all.

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We need your help in re-creating this issue at our end. If this issue is reproducible at will, please reach out to sharewithai@adobe.com with your convenient time for remote screen sharing. If this happens intermittently, please do screen recording and send us the same. Any other details that help in re-creating this issue will be helpful (files, workspace, plug-ins, preferences, etc.)

-Rama
    Illustrator Team

6. Colour values change on their own! Very frustrating

Colours keep slightly changing over time, even as I am designing live inside a file!

I will enter an exact CMYK or RGB value to match our brands colours, then these values will change slightly all on their own.

I've been monitoring this for about 2 months now hoping this issue would be resolved in an update... but it hasnt been!

This is a massive issue! Colours have to be stable!

We need to be able to trust the program with things that are vital for a brand, like their COLOURS!

The attached image shows -
    Top: is the original…

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This problem requires an investigation, but not enough data is gathered yet to even start it.

Please provide these settings to help the team to deal with the problem:

1. The version of illustrator. OS and GPU model

2. Your color settings (a screenshot of the Color Settings dialog will do)

3. A test file with swatches which gets changed

4. A copy of this file when changes happen (if there is a difference in actual numbers swatches store)

Also, please check if the behaviour differs when you disable GPU mode and note that.

Send these to sharewithai@adobe.com (please also provide the link to this report for tracking purposes — https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447/suggestions/40866958) or share directly in the comments if you are allowed to share these files publicly.

It looks like this case is configuration specific, so if you are potentially willing to participate in the investigation of this issue by a…

7. Illustrator could only partially read this file

When I load the first attached file in 24.0.1 (with Windows 10) it loads OK and I can edit it. When I save it and try to reload it in 24.0.1 it says Illustrator could only partially read this file. That's awful when Illustrator cannot read a file it has just saved.

The layers (and sublayers) under ALL > WATERWAYS > A-B beginning with A have all gone missing when it reads in what it can. Other parts may be missing too.

It works fine in 23.1. and I have had to revert to using that.

I have lost a…

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 細線に対する線幅プロファイルが正常に適用されない

macOS10.15.7/ver.26.3.1

再現手順
    1. 10mm程度の線分を描画する。
    2. 線幅を0.41mmに設定し、線幅プロファイルをアーチ状(デフォルトプリセットの6番目)のものを適用する。
    3. 歪んだ状態で適用される。パスのアウトラインを行うと歪んだ状態でアウトライン化される。

期待する結果
    ver.25の様に適用した線幅プロファイルが正常に適用される。

実際の結果
    細線では線幅プロファイルが正常に適用されない。
    また、過去のバージョンで作成されたデータではデータを開いただけでは正常な表示となりますが、編集作業の影響で形状が歪みます。これは付近のオブジェクト操作の影響によって生じる場合もあり危険です。線幅と長さの比率に相関関係がありそうですが現象の特定には至っておりません。

以下のコミュニティページもご参照ください。

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustratorフォーラム-discussions/線幅ツールで調整した十分な長さの線に対して-線幅を細くすると正しく表示されない/td-p/12956489

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi All,

Thanks for reporting this issue . We are unable to reproduce the issue at our end and would require help from your side to debug this issue and do an in-depth investigation around the same.

Please share the following details :

• Machine\OS details
    • Files with which the issue is reproducible
    • A small recording of  the issue

Warm regards,

Illustrator Team

9. Paste in Place does not work properly

So I'm having problems with the Paste in Place command, sometimes it works great when I Copy or Cut something and paste it on other artboards but most of the times it is not working properly, either what I copied o cut get outside the drawing area or it goes to a random place, and at first I thought I wasn't selecting the artboard but even with the artboard selected it falls anywhere. I'm running Illustrator CC 2019, on windows 10.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Thank you for reporting this issue. Illustrator Team really appreciate this.

Can you help the Illustrator team to isolate this issue further?
    If yes, then please let me know the following:
    1) Is this Issue still happening on your machine in the latest version 25.2.1 ?
    2) If yes, kindly provide some video, Test file(Via File→Package), OS version of your machine & some steps with which you are facing issue and share with us at ShareWithAI@adobe.com in a Zip file.

Please mention the title of this issue as the subject of the mail.

Thanks and Regards
    Ankit Goyal

10. Keyboard commands for zoom and hand tool don't work.

Illustrator CC 2018 running on High Sierra. The keyboard command for the zoom and hand tools doesn't always work. Quitting and restarting the application does't resolve the issue. I have to restart my machine to restore functionality. It's seems to be be an entirely random issue.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

41 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi ,

Thanks for reporting the issue . Unfortunately we are not able to reproduce this issue. Could you kindly provide the following information to help us nail this down :

1. Machine details which can be found by :
    MAC : Choose Apple menu  > About This Mac.

WIN : Go to settings and Click on System and Click on About . In Windows Specifications , machine details can be found .

2. Version of Illustrator .

3.Kindly rename your Preferences folder placed in below location and share this folder with us .
    MAC: /Users//Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator Settings//
    WIN: C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator Settings\

Kindly share the above with us in a Zip file at sharewithai@adobe.com. Please mention the title of this issue as the subject of the mail.

Regards,
    Ankit Goyal
    Illustrator team

11. Can't select or hide layers, AI instantly changes it back

All was fine, until I discovered I can't change layers' visibility or lock them.
    Restart won't help. Please see animation attached and document shown.

I remember I had this bug before but it somehow went away.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  Anish Kumar responded

Hi All,

I am not able to reproduce this issue at my end. Would it be possible for you to share the file with me if it is happening in some file consistently? you can share it on sharewithai@adobe.com and tag me in the mail

Thanks
    Anish

12. Scaling only appearance (without objects) doesn't work

I want to scale appearance of my art only, without changing scale of art itself. The way I'm trying to do it — is to use Scale tool's dialogue with 'Transform objects' unchecked and 'Scale strokes and effects' checked.
    AI does nothing.
    Strangely, but if I cut and paste this art into new document, AI don't allow to uncheck 'Transform objects' anymore.
    I can work around this, scaling art with effects down, and then enlarge only art, without effects, up to desired size, but this is not very nice way to do it.
    Photoshop does scaling of effects all right.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to this issue.
    Unfortunately we are not able to reproduce this issue. Could you kindly provide the following information to help us nail this down.

Please share the document in which this issue is seen by you.

1) Kindly share a video recording for the issue 

2)Please share your system details - OS, GPU etc.

3)Please upgrade to the latest Illustrator available on Creative Cloud , and check if issue is still happening at your end.

Regards,
    Aishwarya 'G' Gadodia
    Illustrator Team

13. Text cursor too thin to see

Editing text in Adobe Illustrator CC2020 has become harder than the previous version I was on, CS5.5. I produce infographics. Text is a vital component. It's harder now than ever before because Adobe has made the text cursor bar so thin, it's barely visible.
    I'm using the latest CC2020 on the latest Catalina macOS on a 2019 27-in 5K iMac. Is it the 5K screen that is affecting the cursor? Please, Adobe, just thicken it up by a pixel or two. Currently it's so thin, it's hard to find it when editing text.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If tweaking the Preferences > User Interface > UI Scaling slider does not help to solve this problem, please make some screenshots or a short video of the problem, and post in a reply, along with your exact specs for the OS and the monitor used, for the team to try to reproduce it.

14. 17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Type on Path Broken - Can't Resize

Not sure if this has been reported yet or not. When I use the type on path tool and try to resize it the type's center point is moved and/or the kerning is thrown way off. See the video for an example of what's happening.

The only way I can get around this is making a copy of the object so I can save an editable version, then outline the text on the other version so I can resize. This is a MASSIVE pain.

Using Ai version 25.4.1

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Dashed line not working

I have the latest build of Illustrator 2021 for macOS Big Sur. When I try to apply the dashed line feature to lines or shapes, the effect does not show up. It’s as if I never clicked it. What’s going on here? I’ve never experienced this in past versions of Illustrator. I even tried deleting my preferences. Still nothing. This is so frustrating!

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue.
    Unfortunately we are not able to reproduce this issue.
    Could you please provide a video, test file or steps of the workflow with which you are facing this issue and share with us. Kindly share the above with us in a Zip file at sharewithai@adobe.com . Please mention the title of this issue as the subject of the mail.

Regards,
    Ankit Goyal
    Illustrator Team

17. Offset Path Won't Work

I am using Adobe Illustrator CC 2018 and can't get negative offset path values to work. I am trying to create an offset path in the negatives in text that I have created outlines on. When I do positive numbers, the offset path gets bigger (as it should) When I do negative offset values, the object is duplicated but at the exact same size. I have tried using the offset path tool from both the 'object' and 'effect' tabs and neither is giving me results. I have also tried negative values ranging from -1 to -16,000... there is no change.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Everyone,

Can you please provide a screenshot or step-by-step details of what you are trying to do. I ask because it’s working fine for me (see attached screenshot; it’s quite possible that I misinterpreted what you are trying to achieve). Could it be that the negative offset you are applying is greater than the size of the object. In that case, it won’t work. Otherwise it should.

18. font finder/Missing font box keeps loading and unable to activate missing fonts

Find Font box not working. Example i am missing fonts and when i open that menu it shows the fonts used in the document but the missing ones just have a loading circle next to it and it never stops.

Also the Missing font box. When i do have the fonts and want to Activate them they will never activate, It just loads for 10mins and stops with out loading the fonts.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  Anish Kumar responded

Hi All,

We are not able to reproduce this issue at our end. Can you please let us know if you are still facing this issue? Also, is the Creative Cloud running fine on your machine when this issue happens?

Thanks
    Anish

19. 13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Hi, Thanks for reporting this issue. Unfortunately we are not able to reproduce this issue. Could you please provide a video, test file or steps of the workflow with which you are facing this issue and share with us. Kindly share the above with us in a Zip file at sharewithai@adobe.com . Please mention the title of this issue as the subject of the mail. Thanks & Regards, Ankit Goyal Illustrator Team
  20. Font Height Options misbehave with rounded fonts

Recently I started to notice that some of the fonts I use make wrong result when x-height or cap-height is used to set a font size.

I clearly see that the height is of, by eye and the underlying grid, but Character palette says otherwise. I outline the font, I measure glyphs and I get smaller dimensions.

Take a look at the file and the picture attached.

When fonts with straight terminals are used, everything is fine. Visual dimensions match metrics precisely.

But when a font with rounded terminals is used, like two examples at the bottom, things go weird.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi All,

Thanks for reporting the issue .
    We are not able to reproduce this issue in house. ,Kindly provide following info to nail down this issue:

1)Kindly provide a video recording , Test file(Via File→Package) & some steps with which you are facing issue and share with us at ShareWithAI@adobe.com .

Please mention the title of this issue as the subject of the mail.

Warm regards
    Aishwarya G Gadodia
    Illustrator Team

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base