1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

766 results found

1. Keyboard Shortcut to select locked objects

When needing to move a locked object, you currently only have the option of "unlock ALL" whereas sometimes you may have many things locked that you do not want unlocked - only one or two things you want to move.

It would be helpful if by holding a button (Say Alt or control) this would allow you to select locked objects, move or alter the object, and once you deselect it continues to be locked.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In latest versions you can enable 'Select and Unlock objects on canvas' option in Preferences > Selection & Anchor Display section.

This adds small lock icons for each locked object you can toggle right there without the need to unlock everything first.

This is not exactly the solution you asked for, no hotkeys involved (and there are no modifiers left to allow this), but it does the job.

Does it work for you? Please leave a comment.

2. The "Align" tool doesn't align

So the align tools is organized like this:

Align Objects:
    Vertical alignment tools Horizontal alignment tools

Distribute Objects:
    Horizontal distrib. tools Vertical distrib. tools

It confuses me each time. Why aren't the vertical tools both on the left, and both the horizontal tools on the right? Each time I use it I have to stop for a second and think about it before jumping horizontally to the tool I actually want. Please put the vertical alignment and distribution tools on the left, and the horizontal alignment and distribution tools on the right!

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Increase the size of artboard names in artboards

On my 4k monitor I can barely read the artboard names up in the corner of each artboard. Please allow larger font

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 100% size is actually actual size

Allow Illustrator to be monitor-aware. Have a feature where there is an onscreen ruler, and ask the user to hold up a real ruler to the screen. Let them drag a slider until the onscreen ruler perfectly matches the physical ruler. Then let this % value become the new "100% size" for that machine. Currently to see my artwork at 100% size, I need to set my view to 192%. I wish there was a setting to set my "100%" to default to 192%.

68 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In CC 2019 (latest update 23.0.1), at 100% Zoom 1inch artwork would display at 1inch in physical (Print) size, on any display. If this doesn’t work right for screen design workflows, please use the checkbox Preferences > General > Display Print Size at 100% Zoom, to turn off the feature. Currently this feature works only on primary display, and there are plans of extending this to other attached displays.

5. Transparent palettes when cursor is out from palette

I offer to do ability to make palettes transparent when it's floating and when cursor is not on palette.
    Floating palettes allow to use Tab to switch them off without redrawing window — it's make more comfortable and fast work.
    And to don't use Tab every time I think that it will be more comfortable to made it transparent.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Eliminate the Adobe Search Pane in the top right of illustrator

Adobe does not seem to be able to fix the problem of Adobe search being selected by default when a file is opened. I use a master layout page & am constantly pasting art I have copied to the pasteboard into the stupid, virtually useless Adobe search window. It immediately hangs Illustrator which eventually crashes.

This bug is ridiculously enraging. I cannot believe Adobe has not addressed this. It can't just be me having this issue

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Improved HiDPI Windows support just like Photoshop 19.1

Essentially do with Illustrator what you've done with Photoshop (https://theblog.adobe.com/photoshop-releases-version-19-1-selections-improvements-advanced-support-windows-high-density-monitors/). That is "[offer] a full range of choices for UI scale factors from 100% through 400%, in 25% increments. [... A]utomatically adjust itself based on your Windows settings, making it simple to set up."

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Lock palettes or allow to undo UI changes

So many times I accidentally dragged palettes' icons instead of clicking them to open/close! Each time then I had to drag it back to place it was before or reset my workspace! A simple command 'Undo last UI change' or tick 'Lock UI' would save a lot of time for such clumsy people as I.

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Alt+click on Expand button in Pathfinder palette to release compound shape

I have to release compound shapes quite often. Each time I have to use palette menu, which means two precise clicks.
    Why not to change 'Expand' button to 'Release' when Alt is pressed, to revert it's function and let users quickly deconstruct shapes?
    It's one of JDI things.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. The transform palette used to have arrows to upsize or downsize; this arrows are gone on this new 2018 version of Illustraor. Can somehow sh

The transform palette used to have arrows to upsize or downsize; this arrows are gone on this new 2018 version of Illustraor. Can somehow sh

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Let the "." on the numeric keypad work as a decimal separator for all countries.

In Dutch, we user the comma as a decimal separator. (0,5 is how we write a half)
    Lots of use use the International English keyboard, and the English versions of Adobe CC. But for some reason Illustrator refuses to recognize the "." on the numeric keypad as a separator. When I type "7,2" Illustrator show this correctly in the input fields, but when hitting enter, it makes "72", just skipping the comma.
    Please make a Preference to set the "." or "," on the numpad always to act as a decimal separator.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Easy setting of layer's opacity and 'Target Selected'

Some users still find confusing setting opacity to whole layer.
    When they change opacity value in Transparency palette with no art selected, it does nothing or (if 'New Art has Basic Appearance' is unticked in Appearance palette options) applied to new objects.

The way transparency is set for a layer in AI is not that obvious, compared to Photoshop's way, and require from user knowledge of working with appearance.

I propose this:
    1. Make a shortcut for 'Target Current Layer' command, which is not anywhere now (or even 'Target Selected', which will target current layer, if nothing is selected)
    2.…

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Touch Workspace Eraser

Drawing in the touch workspace is not usable without an eraser. A Simple undo is not enough. Try to undo something you drew 5 minutes ago without undoing the stuff you like and you'll see what I mean.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. High Sierra (macOS 10.2.6), Illustrator CC 2018

Application Bar gets disabled every time I switch on Application Frame. Please Fix the issue.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Object, Expand — Should be in the right click context menu. Also, the operation should be more robust.

Object, Expand — Should be in the right click context menu. Also, the operation should be more robust. I expand things all the time.

I almost always want compound paths instead of groups of compound paths. So, "Outlining Text" is really just redundant and still no option for compound path from the operation. AI should influence people to be more efficient. An unnecessary amount of objects is unnecessary, especially with AI's ability to quickly isolate objects.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. If I use the zoom tool and happen to move the cursor 1 pixel, do not zoom in 41500% Nobody would ever want that to happen.

If I use the zoom tool and happen to move the cursor 1 pixel, do not zoom in 41500% Nobody would ever want that to happen.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Refine (not revert to previous) zoom to selection

Now, 'Zoom to selection' zoom AND centers.

I think that zoom to selection should not center at all by default (and, of course, there should be an option to add centering to zoom). The selected art should stay where it is located in view, until zoom level is big enough so object will go outside current view — only then AI should move view to fit the art.

And there should be a tick 'Only for zooming in'.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Show reference point locator in Scale/Rotate/Shear/Reflect tool dialogue

I wonder, why 'Transform each' has one, while normal transform tools haven't. This would be so useful!

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add Corner Palette Tool to Properties Palette

I would like to see Adobe add the Corner Palette Tool to Properties Palette for more precise control. The Corner Widget is too random.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Mapping artwork on 3d object surface

Now we need every time to convert /or update/ artwork into symbol before mapping in on the surface of 3D objects that are created with 3d effects. That process is annoying and complex. Simplifying of that can help profs and beginners to use it quickly and pass some steps.

Now many programs like Adobe Dimension CC, 3d paint allows to do that very easy and in real time.

Also adding some new feature like uv maps or tiling 3d effects can be very helpful.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Modern 3D and Materials allows to map symbols directly on a object on canvas, across its multiple surfaces. A user can move it, rotate, scale.

The tech is not perfect still, and it won’t be supported for now Classic #D effects, but is potent enough already to try.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base