Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

18 results found

1. Can't Save as on your computer

I use illustrator 26.1 and Monterey 12.3 on MacBook Pro with M1 chip .
    I can't Save as on my computer . The Window is freeze except the format box and the "save on cloud document" button.

Please help I can't do my job and save as pdf formats for print .

Thank you.

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Saving always creates a .tmp file, can't see preview of the file and cannot import AI file to After Effects

as title says, my Illustrator 2020 (24.0.1) always creates a .tmp file whenever i save. I cant see a preview of the file when viewed on Finder. Lastly, I can't import the files i created using AI 2020 to After Effects - it only shows a blank artboard.

Files are saved with Create PDF compatible File ticked.

I have also tried resetting the Adobe PDF joboption settings.

So right now I have 2 AI's installed just so i can continue working with my files.

macOS High Sierra
    version 10.13.6

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Ratchakrit Klongpayabal posted the below solution to fix this issue.

How to stop .tmp$$$ when export .png File from Avast Anti-virus

The cause of this annoying problem came from the ransomware shield function from Avast. This is an easy method to solve this problem.

1. Go to Avast Antivirus user interface.
    2. Select the protection tab.
    3. Select ransomware shied.
    4. Protected folder by Avast Ransomware shield will appear.
    5. Click the checkbox of the protected file location that you choose to export which shown for protection.(C:\USER\...\Pictures etc.)
    6. When you select, the message of the selected folder and "Stop Protection" button will appear.
    7. Click stop protection.

after this procedure, you can export .png file or else and preview it as you please. Please try...

3. Importing CAD DXF files: Unknown Format and Cannot Be Opened

I am using Illustrator 2020 on a Windows 10 computer.
    We import CAD files in DXF format to create AI files for our graphics department to use. We are successful when importing ACAD2000 DXF files, but have problems with more recent versions. Elements drop off when importing ACAD2004, 2007, 2010 DXF files. When trying to import ACAD2013 and 2018 CAD files I get the message "Unknown Format and Cannot Be Opened".

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 26.x which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

4. Action using "save as" location not keep settings after restart of Illustrator

I created action that use the "save as" to defined location, when closing and restarting Illustrator the action doesn't save location of "save as" action.

Windows 10 pro ver. 1803

Illustrator ver. 23.0.1

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. some graphics missing when exporting artboard using "export as"

Hello, I am experiencing strange results during artboard export - after export to bitmap file, there is often some part of graphics missing. Latest example is this - the 1pt stroke, visible in editor, is not present on exported image. Simillar result achieved in numerous different cases, ussually some shapes or contours with white color are missing in exported image. I am includign source files, you will have the background photo link missing, but this can be replaced with any colored box with same result. This is dangerous bug, because you have to control your exports carefully, and is easy…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The white outlines in the file have Overprint attribute set. White + overprint result in empty objects, please remove overprint attribute from the white objects and try export again.

6. Document won't save

Hi there.
    I have been working in a new file I created, and I am unable to save the file. I have tried exporting, and quitting such that illustrator asks if I want to save. Nothing happens. I am stuck here, as I will otherwise loose the work I have done. Any suggestions???

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The problem got solved by resaving the original document and no longer can be reproduced.

If you have a similar issue, try to search for a similar bug report which matches yours exactly or log another one, providing as many details as possible to help the team to investigate it.

7. Can't work on a server - crashing and not saving files

I recently updated my OS to High Sierra V. 10.13.3 and have Illustrator CC18 22.0.1. I work on a server and at first, every time I tried to resave a file for the second time it would crash. Now all of a sudden I am able to save once and when I try to save the second time it says it can't and I have to save the file with a new name. It also keeps making .tmp files. If I work off of my server on my desktop this does not happen.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Problems with exporting PSD

I am having an hard time exporting my file as photoshop file

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Smart Object from Illustrator to PS not working after Mac Ventura 13.2.1 update

Copy and pasting a vector file from Illustrator into Photoshop as a smart object no longer saves the way it used to. In Photoshop, when I wanted to make a change to the smart object, I would double click on it in the layers panel, it opens in Illustrator, make a change, cmd + s to save, back to Photoshop and the smart object would update. Now after updating to Ventura 13.2.1, the process is the same, but after saving and returning to Photoshop, my fonts show up differently. Screenshots included.

1 - Smart Object in Photoshop
    2 - Making…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The problem got resolved when fonts got activated for Photoshop in the font manager app.

It seems that for some reason Photoshop does not warn users about missing fonts in smarts, although it should not be relevant, since Ps reads the PDF content from a smart to render it...

Needs further investigation. If you have updates on this — please comment.

10. Compound paths not saving

When I make an object a compound path and then save as an SVG, when I go to open the file again, all of the compound paths have reverted to paths. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, I've tried an earlier version, I've done everything I can think of and still my SVG files will not retain compound paths. I'm using an M1 MacBook Pro, AI v27.2

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Illustrator not saving properly

Saving our work is a MAJOR issue! Since updating, I'm having different ones. Sometimes when I command/save, then reopen that file, the last change I made is gone. Now, when I do a save as, Illustrator only saves part of the file name I typed in..

Attached are screen shots showing the file name I try to save it as, and the incorrect file name it saves as.

WTF is up with this stuff? I'm no programmer, but how is it that major bugs like this come up with every new version? I am spending more time working around Adobe…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Can't Access a Saved File from a folder in Google Drive

The Issue:
    I saved an illustrator file then closed the program. After some days, I reopened the program. I could see the preview thumbnail showing my latest edit but when I clicked on it to open, it went back to a much earlier version of the file. This has now happened twice. Please help if you have solved this successfully.

Details:
    Illustrator 26.2.1 (64-bit)
    RAM: 12GB
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.81 GHz

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Cannot open AI or EPS files just exported from AI

I'm trying to export some vector files from AI, which I've done countless times before and had no problems...

Right now when I save the file as AI and EPS, it shows up in my saved folder as a blank file. When I open the properties from it's saved folder it still shows as AI, however I'm not able to open it with AI or any other applications.

I'm stumped and don't know what I can do next.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Black png

my png transparent images are showing up as total black images after export . They show fine for a few seconds and in the viewer window but the png it self is totally black. Works sometimes and others not I would say 2 out of 25 show up black.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. SVGs: Objects with dashed lines are split up

Hello,

I create an object (rectangle) in the AI with a dashed line (8px / 8px). Contour 2px and grey filling.
    If I save this object as *.svg and then open the saved SVG again, the path of the rectangle is fragmented.
    This denomination always occurs just before the corners. In other words, a rectangle is divided into 4 paths and becomes a group...

Version: AI 23.1
    Windows 10 Enterprise
    Intel Core i7-6820IQ 2.70 Ghz
    16 GB RAM

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for a late answer. Basically it happens because of 'Align dashes to corners' option that is turned on for the object in Stroke panel. When it's on, Illustrator internally treats this stoke exactly like you have in the SVG — a group of normal dashed lines with recalculated gaps and dashes, and custom inserts where it's required.

SVG just can't handles this, so to preserve the look it applies this treatment, converting it from the 'live' to 'expanded'.

Try to disable the option and comment back if it helps.

16. Using the newest version of Illustrator won't let me use new files for older illustrator versions (ex: illustrator at school)

Opening Illustrator files created last night on the newer version on my home computer won't load at school on an older version of Illustrator. The files are completely missing artwork. You can see all the components on the recently opened page, but when you open the file. The artwork doesn't load.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Deborah,
    We have bumped up the file format in AI 2020 so any file created in AI 2020 is not compatible in older versions. Please do a save as Illustrator CC version before sharing the file.
    The older release should also be warning users that the file was created in a new version and will have some data loss.

Best regards,
    Ashutosh

17. missing id in exported svg

When I export the attached .ai file to svg, the result does not contain the id of the r14 rectangle.
    Before you say "well just add it in manually", please consider that this is a simplified version and that the real thing would contain dozens, even hundreds of objects.
    Note that I am not using the artboard. The idea is to use this svg to be animated by the GreenSock javascript library.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks a lot Francis for filing the issue. Please feel free to open a new issue if you should experience the issue again or another one.

Greetings,
    Dirk

18. "Preview in Browser" resets to Safari

"Preview in Browser" option in save for web window is resets to Safari everyday(After restart). Several times I tried selecting Google Chrome and set as default in browser menu, but chrome is getting removed from the browser menu automatically after I restart the Illustrator.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please contact Apple support. macOS controls the default browser setting. You can validate the default browser by double clicking any html file on your system.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base