Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

250 results found

1. What video formats can we upload to bug requests?

I used to be able to upload videos to the bug reports but now no matter what format I seem to choose, I get a note that the format cannot upload. Furthermore, the bug report gets posted anyway without notice so if I try to upload a different format the post is double posted.

Can you please tell us what types of formats are allowed?

Can you change the bug report form so that when an unsupported video format is selected there's a warning or indication before pressing the post idea button OR if an unsupported format is selected and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We receive videos in form of .mov, .mp4 and at times even .mpg.
    This portal allows attachments up to 50 mb and you can use any format for it. Is it possible there is a software or an browser extention that is troubling you. Can you please try this bug form from another browser or computer.

2. Recent change to transform function is anti-intuitive.

I have used Illustrator since version 1.11 and the shift key has always been used to constrain angles and proportion in drawing and transforming. suddenly without notice in the latest upgrade the shift key has to be used to FREE transform and the default in the transform function is to maintain proportion or constrain movement to 45 or 90 degrees. This is against the habits of 30 years use. I have also noticed that in the Option>scale function the highlight which used to default to the angle value no longer does so requiring addition keystroking. Not helpful.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Uhm, the Shift does not behave like this now, and even in Photoshop they decided to give a legal option to change it back.

As for the Scale and Rotate dialogs not focusing the filed with the value — also fixed.

Please comment back if you still have these problems.

3. Turn Sensei Off and Presets

Sensei is making my life ****...what it thinks I want to do is not what I want to do, as such the bug I want to report is my "turn sensei off" button is hidden. For example when using the puppet tool I have to now delete all the pins Sensei thinks I want before I can do the thing I actually want to do making the task longer than it needs to take. That's just the latest (five minutes ago) example of how Sensei is messing up day. Give us a checkbox in preferences to turn Sensei off.

Presets…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is already a preference to turn off the Sensei feature that you spoke about. Go to preference , go to general tab and turn off the checkbox “Enable Content Aware Defaults”. This is the last option on the second column.

Units are part of presets so each time you create a file using a preset it will create using the units that was saved in the preset. To workaround this what you need to do is follow the following steps:
    1. Press CTRL+N or CMD+M – depending on your platform
    2. Select the preset of your choice e.g. A4 / Letter etc…
    3. On the right pane change the unit to your choice like inches.
    4. Create your file
    5. The next time you come back to this file new dialog you should have this preset in your recent tab

4. Preview in properties panel does not work for changing values via arrow keys

When changing the line width in the properties panel via arrow keys, the preview is not updated!

In appearance panel it works OK

How can I get back this behavior?

https://feek.d.pr/4rqMHZ.gif

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. No swatches showing for any panels

When I open up a file using the open with option inside of Windows explorer, my swatches are always empty no matter what panel I'm using. Colors panel, etc. The only way it doesn't seem to have this bug is if I'm inside of Adobe Illustrator and I open a file from inside of the program. This is very inconvenient.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is working as expected. You have opened a png file and since a png file will not have Illustrator swatches it does not show up.
    If you create a new Illustrator file will then see Illustrator swatches. Once you have created a new Illustrator file you can place the png file inside it.

6. Interacting with properties panel can make app require force close

MacOS 10.14.1
    Illustrator 23.0.1

Clicking on options in the 'Properties' palette, then clicking outside the resulting dialog can make the app become mostly unusable:

• Menus are greyed out
    • any menu function can't be done, including save and quit
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi David,

This happens, when you open some menu while a panel pop-up is still open. Since you had the fill popup open from properties panel, when you clicked on menu, so its grayed out.
    You need to close the popup first to open the menu.

7. No icon - can't recognise file type.

Latest build Windows 10 with Ai 23.0.1 can't recognise the file and keeps asking what to open with. Additionally the icon is missing on all ai. files.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please reinstall Illustrator. The functionality that you are referencing comes from the Windows operating system and re-associating file types using the Windows operating system should solve the issue.

8. Wrong font preview for RTL languages

There are a few problems with the new fonts preview in the last version of Illustrator.
    1. Even though 'Selected Text' preview option is selected the preview shows first five Hebrew alphabet letters instead.
    2. This happens weather the text box is selected or the text itself.
    3. Sometimes the 'Selected Text' preview is shown. In those cases it's shown backwards (LTR instead of RTL).

This happens in spite of the fact that the text box is marked as a 'Hebrew' one and 'RTL Arabic' digits is selected.
    I'm using a Mac running OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Eli,

Not all the fonts have all the glyphs available with them to show the preview. For the fonts where glyphs are not available, we show the default sample preview (that’s why you get first five glyphs for those fonts)

Hope This helps.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator QE

9. stroke

Stroke panel does not work correctly. No details are shown and only after multiple workspace changes, does it sometimes appear.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for contacting us. your panel is in collapsed state. Please click on double arrow button to expand the same.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

10. No de-selection of gradient Point / Appearance panel behaviour in AI23

If I edited a gradient point once, the selected point stays selected forever. I is possible for me to select another gradient point, but not de-select the point.

Why would this be necessary?
    Because, when I edit some stacked layers of gradients in the appearance panel (what I do very often), the editing of the gradient hides the complete appearance, showing only the highlighted color swatch of the gradient point in the appearance panel.
    The only way to get the whole appearance visible again in the panel, is to swith to another tool (i.e. selection tool). This is very time…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Marek & Dllyana,

Thanks for sharing this issue,Illustrator team really appreciate this.
    You can deselect the selected color stop via Escape key when you are in gradient tool. I hope this works for you as a workaround to deselect the selected color stop.

11. You took away the highlighted outlines from when I select and create objects

I cannot see the outlines highlighted on anything I select, this has ruined my ability to use this program.
    I tried going into preferences and selecting the option for showing anchors when I select and it did not work either.

I want the old version back, this is useless, PLEASE STOP CONSTANTLY UPDATING THIS PROGRAM

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry to hear that you are facing this issue. Looks like you have ‘Show Edges’ option disabled. Goto View→ Show Edges and it will enable the outlines.

12. 2019 update. Worst update ever! Why? Why did you move and change all the tools?????? None of them make sense or are intuitive anymore.

Worst update ever! Why? Why did you move and change all the tools?????? None of them make sense or are intuitive anymore.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Illustrator provides two tool panels now: Basic (chosen by default) and Advanced (with all the tools, including plugin ones). This change was made to make Illustrator less clumped form the beginning and ease the learning process. You can read more about this here: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/tools.html

You can also access all the tools from the 'drawer' menu, by clicking the button with three dots at the bottom of any toolbar.

As always, Ai doesn’t care much about our settings, and this time they forced this changes for everyone, not explaining the change directly in-app. Hope this gets improved.

13. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. can't read pdf in acrobat pro dc, created in illustrator CC 2019, since update

can't read pdf in acrobat pro dc created in illustrator CC 2019. Opens file but shows no content. Illustrator some times struggles to open ai files, very slow.
    Model Name: MacBook Air
    Model Identifier: MacBookAir5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBA51.00F8.B00
    SMC Version (system): 2.5f9
    Serial Number (system): C02HX379F57J
    Hardware UUID: 605CDB5B-A377-5A89-AECE-064496379592
    macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Blob tool won't change size

When I use the blob tool it won't change size from 1 pt. No matter if I change the size. It is very frustrating to use so I can do college homework.

This issue is on both my Acer laptop with my Huion tablet and on my Surface Pro 3. I reinstalled the app on my laptop and didn't fix the issue.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Brushes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. How to reinstall CC2018?

How to reinstall CC2018? The updater removed it. CC2019 keeps failing to preview and then crashing!!!!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Dialog boxes appearing on second display

I run Illustrator CC on an iMac (5K, 27-inch, late 2015) running Mojave, with a secondary ViewSonic display for browser windows, etc. I do my design work on the iMac display. Sadly, all of my Adobe Illustrator dialog boxes (save, etc.) appear on that second display (this has been the case for the last few CC releases, and predates Mojave)—it got so annoying that I disconnected the second display for a while. No issues with the other Adobe apps I run (Photoshop and InDesign). Would love to see this resolved.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Legacy shape-drawing functionality is missing

I do not want "smart" shapes by default. My biggest gripe is that one cannot easily draw shapes in rapid succession. For example, if I draw a circle and immediately want to draw another, say, centered around the anchor point of the previous, I have to CMD+SHIFT+A to deselect the previous shape. Otherwise the shape tool is no longer a shape tool but a TRANSFORM tool.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can switch off the bounding box and smart widgets by pressing shortcut Cmd + Shift + B and can use the drawing tools as legacy tools.
    You can also select View→Hide bounding box for the same.

For reverting back to current state again press the same shortcut or select View → Show bounding box

Hope this would help achieving your workflow.

19. CC font preview not working any more

When I start typing a font name in the character box I used to get the related font preview pop up , this no longer works at all and is very irritating

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Creative Cloud Libraries can't add multiple swatches

I used to be able to click one swatch in my CC libraries and shift click another and right click and add all colors to my document swatches. This option has dissappered and now I have to right click each color and add to my document swatches one at a time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base