Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

239 results found

1. You took away the highlighted outlines from when I select and create objects

I cannot see the outlines highlighted on anything I select, this has ruined my ability to use this program.
    I tried going into preferences and selecting the option for showing anchors when I select and it did not work either.

I want the old version back, this is useless, PLEASE STOP CONSTANTLY UPDATING THIS PROGRAM

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry to hear that you are facing this issue. Looks like you have ‘Show Edges’ option disabled. Goto View→ Show Edges and it will enable the outlines.

2. 2019 update. Worst update ever! Why? Why did you move and change all the tools?????? None of them make sense or are intuitive anymore.

Worst update ever! Why? Why did you move and change all the tools?????? None of them make sense or are intuitive anymore.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Illustrator provides two tool panels now: Basic (chosen by default) and Advanced (with all the tools, including plugin ones). This change was made to make Illustrator less clumped form the beginning and ease the learning process. You can read more about this here: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/tools.html

You can also access all the tools from the 'drawer' menu, by clicking the button with three dots at the bottom of any toolbar.

As always, Ai doesn’t care much about our settings, and this time they forced this changes for everyone, not explaining the change directly in-app. Hope this gets improved.

3. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. can't read pdf in acrobat pro dc, created in illustrator CC 2019, since update

can't read pdf in acrobat pro dc created in illustrator CC 2019. Opens file but shows no content. Illustrator some times struggles to open ai files, very slow.
    Model Name: MacBook Air
    Model Identifier: MacBookAir5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBA51.00F8.B00
    SMC Version (system): 2.5f9
    Serial Number (system): C02HX379F57J
    Hardware UUID: 605CDB5B-A377-5A89-AECE-064496379592
    macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Blob tool won't change size

When I use the blob tool it won't change size from 1 pt. No matter if I change the size. It is very frustrating to use so I can do college homework.

This issue is on both my Acer laptop with my Huion tablet and on my Surface Pro 3. I reinstalled the app on my laptop and didn't fix the issue.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Brushes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. How to reinstall CC2018?

How to reinstall CC2018? The updater removed it. CC2019 keeps failing to preview and then crashing!!!!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Dialog boxes appearing on second display

I run Illustrator CC on an iMac (5K, 27-inch, late 2015) running Mojave, with a secondary ViewSonic display for browser windows, etc. I do my design work on the iMac display. Sadly, all of my Adobe Illustrator dialog boxes (save, etc.) appear on that second display (this has been the case for the last few CC releases, and predates Mojave)—it got so annoying that I disconnected the second display for a while. No issues with the other Adobe apps I run (Photoshop and InDesign). Would love to see this resolved.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Legacy shape-drawing functionality is missing

I do not want "smart" shapes by default. My biggest gripe is that one cannot easily draw shapes in rapid succession. For example, if I draw a circle and immediately want to draw another, say, centered around the anchor point of the previous, I have to CMD+SHIFT+A to deselect the previous shape. Otherwise the shape tool is no longer a shape tool but a TRANSFORM tool.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can switch off the bounding box and smart widgets by pressing shortcut Cmd + Shift + B and can use the drawing tools as legacy tools.
    You can also select View→Hide bounding box for the same.

For reverting back to current state again press the same shortcut or select View → Show bounding box

Hope this would help achieving your workflow.

9. CC font preview not working any more

When I start typing a font name in the character box I used to get the related font preview pop up , this no longer works at all and is very irritating

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Creative Cloud Libraries can't add multiple swatches

I used to be able to click one swatch in my CC libraries and shift click another and right click and add all colors to my document swatches. This option has dissappered and now I have to right click each color and add to my document swatches one at a time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Essentials Classic Workspace is missing

I have students who do not have access to the Essentials Classic Workspace. If this was removed this is a BAD idea, particularly for education environments. Educators like myself spend a great deal of time producing project-specific videos using a particular interface configuration and if my students cannot access it the videos and my valuable time have been wasted.s

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. After lanching ilustrator the start menu is blank without the crative cload appearing

This happens in all Adobe CC apps, the basic startup menu is blank.this is in the newest version of Adobe CC. When selecting file - new an error message reading "%CCXFNFTDIOLOG_NAME" pops up where the different layouts would be. I have tried to uninstall and install Creative Cloud and the Adobe Apps twice to fix the errors. Both times this has not fixed the issues. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Font problem

every time I try to type something on a clean sheet my letters ( no matter what font I use) look like someone cut through them. Can you help and tell me why is this happening?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Viewing files when placing an image

For a short time recently when I choose File>place and navigate to my stock image folder, the most recently downloaded file appeared first. SUPER TIME SAVER (Using Windows 10). Now it seems this feature is gone and I have to sift through hundreds of files once again. I can set file explorer to sort by "date created" ie. date created ON MY COMPUTER, but I can't replicate this viewing option any more through Illustrator's place option. Any ideas?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

unfortunately the feature that you are referencing is provided by Windows operating system. We use the Windows system fie open dialog to enable file place on your artboard.
    Please click on sort by date created this should resolve your problem.

15. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Linked image cannot be moved by fill once it's scaled down to certain point.

An image file, size ~100cmx140cm, was imported into ai. Once it's scaled down to around 10mmx14mm, it can't be selected by its fill( even I zoomed really up close), I'll have to move it around by selecting it's bounding box. When I scale it up a little bit like 1mm, it fixes the problem. This is super annoying. Please fix it.

( I'm using the latest version to date.)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

there is a zoom level on screen beyond which an object can become too small for all of widgets to be meaningfully operated on by the mouse cursor.
    Please zoom in a little so that the mouse cursor can fit in between the bounding bog and be able to select a fill area. this should solve the issue.
    If it does not Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

17. Thick Stroke and Spikes

Windows 10 HP; Adobe Illustrator CC;
    1st Problem: Thick Stroke
    Everytime I make an outline, its a huge stroke when it only says its suppose to be 1 pt. I don't know if I messed with the settings or something but can someone please tell me how to fix it.
    2nd problem: I'm trying to make watercolor background and when I try to add a gradient to my brush strokes it completely ruins the stroke and freezes the program! Please help! I don't know anything about computers so I'm such a beginner!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for trying out Illustrator for your artistic creations. Everyone is a beginner when they start I am sure spending time on the product shall make you an expect in next few years. If there is anything we can help you speed up please do not hesitate to exercise to option to call up support or use our forums forums.adobe.com to engage with peer artists.

RESOLVED: As Egor mentioned please adjust your zoom level, 1 pt will look bug at 6400% zoom. Look for zoom drop down at bottom left of your screen.

CAN NOT REPRODUCE: We could not recreate the issue where gradient freezes the application. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to…

18. Keyboard shortcut for Change Case > UPPERCASE is missing

1. In version 22.1 there is no anymore option for Type > Change Case > UPPERCASE in Keyboard Shortcuts.
    2. I miss that Shortcut, that's all.
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I bought the adobe Illustrator but cant access the tutorials HELP please

I bought Illustrator but cannot get the tutorials but I can use Illustrator but the tutorials would help but you think every one has a photograpic memrory or I dont know why cannot cause need to get started or I cannot keep paying monthly

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. illustrator jagged line

line and text look jagged and I tried all the settings change by researching in the internet, but nothing fixed it. this problem is persisting for the last two days.

windows 10
    illustrator cc 2018
    crisp line and text output
    but the line and text are looking jagged

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here